Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: DB diatribe on triggers

Definitely a sticky thread. I don't shoot my P2000 9mm LEM as well as my 9mm 1911 competition gun, but as a civilian I'm more than accurate enough at speed to defend myself; the trigger is a non-issue. What is an issue is my need to train more to improve my P2000 wiring. At SD/HD distances it won't be the trigger that induces error, but other operator errors under stress (at least that's where I'm at).

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Point Aficionado View Post
    Sadly, my father recently had to make some decisions about triggers. Hand tremors are now a constant part of his life and he was becoming decreasingly confident in his ability to manage a striker trigger. Liking my LEM converted USP compacts, he asked if I'd trade my secondary for his G19. It's his now and he later showed up with a thumb safety and request that I install it. He also wanted a conscious switch between a holstered and firing state. Considering his trigger finger won't stop moving, I can't fault his logic. Long travel and a positive safety seem tailor made for a person in his condition.

Anyway, thanks a ton for the OP. I genuinely appreciate a solid resource to point people to for a very well thought out comparison of the strengths of various trigger systems.
    My dad carries a revolver for this reason. His hand trembles a bit and you have to WANT to pull a DA revolver trigger.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Wow, all these threads concerning triggers for threat management are interesting. Maybe the double action revolver system really was ahead of its time. In the past I've talked to some coppers who changed their mind half way thru a DA pull on their wheel guns, relaxed their finger, and ultimately did not have to drop the hammer on a bad guy.

Long ago I was pulling the trigger on my 4566 and could simultaneously see the hammer coming back in my peripheral vision, when the suspect dropped their weapon and the threat ceased--that long DA pull to the first shot definitely was a factor in how that incident resolved....
    Last edited by DocGKR; 08-13-2017 at 11:40 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Long ago I was pulling the trigger on my 4566 and could simultaneously see the hammer coming back in my peripheral vision, when the suspect dropped their weapon and the threat ceased--that long DA pull to the first shot definitely was a factor in how that incident resolved....
    I had a very similar experience with an issued 5946 DAO pistol.

DB, I broke up your excellent first post a bit, in order to do it justice. Let me know if it needs changed.
    #RESIST

Does that mean your moving back to hammer fired guns?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Does that mean your moving back to hammer fired guns?
    I doubt it, DocGKR deals with some quite draconian duty weapon restrictions.
    #RESIST

Nope. At this age in life and career stage, it is highly unlikely that I would ever serve in a uniformed patrol capacity again, so a DA/SA or DAO handgun is less important than having a compact, lightweight, simple to service, easily carried firearm with an acceptable magazine capacity and ability to mount an RDS.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Nope. At this age in life and career stage, it is highly unlikely that I would ever serve in a uniformed patrol capacity again, so a DA/SA or DAO handgun is less important than having a compact, lightweight, simple to service, easily carried firearm with an acceptable magazine capacity and ability to mount an RDS.
    Thanks for clarifying Doc.

User Tag List