Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: DB diatribe on triggers

Excellent points DB.

I keep finding myself gravitating to LEM for carry guns. A quality Da/Sa would fit that same category.

I mean "easy shootability" is not one of the top considerations for me when choosing a defensive gun.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    A .5lb striker fired trigger is perfectly safe so long as I follow Rule #2 with 100% accuracy for the rest of my natural life.

Shouldn't be a problem.
    Provided it isn't a Sig P320 you drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Well said. I'm not a grand master level shooter, but few things in the shooting realm give me more pleasure than smoking another competitor who has attempted to buy performance but lacks the fundamentals, while I shoot a stock Glock, using a concealment holster, from concealment.

With your years of training have you seen where the upper end of the trigger issue is? I ask because we see poor marksmanship in NYPD shootings and many attribute that to their NY trigger. The first time I felt a NY trigger was in an armorer class and I remember thinking it was horrible and does more harm than good.
    A very influential mentor who is one of the most successful gunfighters of our era told me "all I need is a good trigger, sights I can see, and total reliability". I have several of his duty guns. They all have a good trigger, which doesn't mean light. It also doesn't mean heavy. You can make a trigger so heavy that you have to build way too much momentum in it just to get it moving. I find they encourage cheating the triggers and will end up creating as many issues as they are "supposed" to solve. You need to be able to press the trigger efficiently with minimal disturbance of the sights. You can ruin that with a terrible trigger. So, crappy, and overly heavy triggers are also an issue. Also, much of this is about safety. Every Round fired hits something. In a defensive shooting shooting it is critical that rounds connect with bad guys efficiently. Missing due to an unmanageable trigger is in the "bad" column.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Well said. I'm not a grand master level shooter, but few things in the shooting realm give me more pleasure than smoking another competitor who has attempted to buy performance but lacks the fundamentals, while I shoot a stock Glock, using a concealment holster, from concealment.

With your years of training have you seen where the upper end of the trigger issue is? I ask because we see poor marksmanship in NYPD shootings and many attribute that to their NY trigger. The first time I felt a NY trigger was in an armorer class and I remember thinking it was horrible and does more harm than good.
    In my opinion, an NY1 or NY2 won't mitigate against "stupid" or untrained. For that matter, not much of anything will. And even with the NY2, you're still only looking at about a 8 lb triggerpull as I recall.

I've used all of the Glock OEM trigger systems, and think that the best benefit attributable to the NY1 is that it provides a single-stage, consistently even triggerpull with a more discernible reset point then the coil trigger return spring does. But that said, not all of my Glocks get a NY anything-for example, my Gen 3 G17 and Gen4 G22 retain the OEM stock trigger/connector/spring set-ups, because they feel great on them just as they are.

I usually pair a NY spring with a minus or dot connector; the combination usually results in a slightly heavier triggerpull weight than that on the standard connector/coil spring set-up.

With a NY2 (and a dot connector) I liked it initially-more of a double-action revolver kinda feel. But the increased triggerpull weight quickly took its toll in accuracy and speed, so I'm not longer using that set-up. I think a NY1 is more ideal for most desiring of the NY effect/benefits.

I've also found that individual Glocks have slightly individual action feels; I suspect this has much to do with minor variations in connectors, so I experiment with each of my Glocks to "tune" the triggerpull. I use ONLY OEM Glock components and high-tech lube in my Glocks-no aftermarket parts at all (except for sights and butt plugs), and no Dremeling whatsoever on anything.

And a key, unsung component of ANY Glock trigger set-up is proper lubrication on the triggerbar/connector interface surfaces

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 08-12-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Site Supporter
    Some serious truth bombs getting dropped by some really switched on dudes lately...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 08-12-2017 at 06:57 PM.

And I believe these issues overlay across the marksmanship requirement to hit a grapefruit sized target, which may be moving.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    And I believe these issues overlay across the marksmanship requirement to hit a grapefruit sized target, which may be moving.
    I feel like majority of peoples goals here are to find a balance between safety of the firearm and the ability you just described. Reason the Glock is so popular (even more now with people around here because the SCD) is it offers that balance. I understand that DA/SA is a great system but a lot of people/organizations simply don't want to invest the time to master that system and they find a solid compromise in SFA. With all of that said, I like heavier triggers, stock set ups, and only carry well vetted guns (M9 variants and Glock are extremely reliable and safe designs.)

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I feel like majority of peoples goals here are to find a balance between safety of the firearm and the ability you just described. Reason the Glock is so popular (even more now with people around here because the SCD) is it offers that balance. I understand that DA/SA is a great system but a lot of people/organizations simply don't want to invest the time to master that system and they find a solid compromise in SFA. With all of that said, I like heavier triggers, stock set ups, and only carry well vetted guns (M9 variants and Glock are extremely reliable and safe designs.)
    Did you see the bodycam footage of the Vegas shootout this week? LEO with a Sig TDA is wounded, backpedaling and got a bunch of hits incl a headshot FAST. REALLY FAST.
    For a good bit of post shooting thread management, that Sig was not decocked (in frame of vid).
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Did you see the bodycam footage of the Vegas shootout this week? LEO with a Sig TDA is wounded, backpedaling and got a bunch of hits incl a headshot FAST. REALLY FAST.
    For a good bit of post shooting thread management, that Sig was not decocked (in frame of vid).
    Yup.. Looked like he holstered it in SA also.

DB--that is one of the best posts I have read at PF!
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List