Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: P320 and training classes

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I'm certain I've been in classes where there were non-drop safe (due to goofy aftermarket triggers and other mods) Glocks present.
    This.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I guess the question now is, how do you go about testing everyone's guns?
    This is easy. It is up to each student to bring a safe firearm, and be safe during a class. If a student cannot accomplish these two particular tasks, then hopefully the instructor or other students can identify the situation before an accident occurs.

The issue is responsibility. When folks start garage gunsmithing their own guns from YouTube videos, they have made an individual choice and every manufacture is very happy to absolutely void themselves from any liability and warn consumers against this. By the same token, when one of those show up in a class, the instructor can make individual assessments and start asking questions about that student's individual firearm. In the case of the 320, it is a gun SIG and everyone around them claimed was drop safe, advertised it as drop safe to consumers, and instructors and organizations relied on that. Now that we know it is not drop safe, but simply passes some minimum tests, yet will easily discharge in a very dangerous manner when dropped in a way in which a lot of guns will naturally orient themselves. Instructors are now not faced with an individual who made a choice to modify a firearm and have some level of then making a decision that that firearm is dangerous or modified outside of acceptable parameters, they are now dealing with a manufacturer that has been less than forthright about the situation.
    I am getting ready to pay our insurance premium this week....keeping that insurance is critical to having a training business. How much risk should I assume for SIG?
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I am getting ready to pay our insurance premium this week....keeping that insurance is critical to having a training business. How much risk should I assume for SIG?
    Good points made, and I'm a big fan of the P320 series after being a Glocks owner/shooter- (I like Glocks, but the grip angle and ergos aren't for me)... I'm definitely NOT shooting the P320 until after the upgrade- because I don't want to risk someone else getting hurt if I were to drop it (just because I've never dropped a gun doesn't mean it can't happen).

Do you think the Instructors who have banned non-fixed P320s from their classes have, as a result, also considered closer scrutiny of other brands for safety reasons, in regard to aftermarket parts, trigger jobs, and safety related recalls? (It probably makes sense to have a complete list of every pistol model ever recalled for safety issues, to "clear" a student's gun for use).

As a student of training classes, I worry as much about the modded guns, and "guns that run poorly all day", as I do the P320s and other unfixed recalled pistols.

BTW- I hope you and yours are safe from the flooding down in Texas- here in Southern Florida we're watching it with heavy hearts.
    Last edited by MontWyDaho; 08-31-2017 at 11:03 PM.

User Tag List