Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: P320 and training classes

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    IMO, with regards to SIG fixing the issue, or individuals sending their gun in for their "voluntary fix," I totally agree with you. There is a known problem that needs to be fixed, and equivocating on this is irresponsible and dangerous.

OTOH, "what about the XXX" does add perspective to the particular discussions of P320 in competition and classes. If you* have attended any formal class or competition, you've either accepted the risk of being around guns that were less drop-safe than the P320, or ignorant** of this reality.

* "you" in general sense, not "you" personally.
    ** not in the derogatory sense.
    Which do you suppose are most vulnerable? Tuned CZs? Tangfo's? Or 1911 pattern guns? Are tuned competition guns vulnerable to the -30 drop or all sorts of drops?
    Last edited by JHC; 08-20-2017 at 09:28 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I don't know the answer to that. My comments were more directed towards Bubba's Custom Creations than the individual models themselves.
    David S.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Attended the biweekly USPSA match yesterday. Saw one guy running a P320c in Production. No one said a word as far as I know. It would frankly surprise me if most people were aware of the problem, even the P320 guy. They're still pretty rare in California, so I don't think many folks are paying much attention.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Which do you suppose are most vulnerable? Tuned CZs? Tangfo's? Or 1911 pattern guns? Are tuned competition guns vulnerable to the -30 drop or all sorts of drops?
    Poorly tuned competition guns are the ones to be worried about. Seen a few hack 1911 trigger jobs where the half cock notch was unknowingly disabled. You shouldn't be able to pull the trigger at half cock.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Attended the biweekly USPSA match yesterday. Saw one guy running a P320c in Production. No one said a word as far as I know. It would frankly surprise me if most people were aware of the problem, even the P320 guy. They're still pretty rare in California, so I don't think many folks are paying much attention.
    There were two P320s in my squad yesterday. Yes, we were busting on them.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Where were you shooting, Bucky? NorCal or SoCal?

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Where were you shooting, Bucky? NorCal or SoCal?
    Southern Chester, PA.

I believe that a competition setting is completely different than a self-defense orientated training class. It is obviously accepted and pretty much common knowledge that you are going to be exposed to "modified" firearms at a competition.

In regards to self-defense, I hold the line of thinking that highly modified firearms (particularly internally) are not best and could possibly be unsafe. When attending a self-defense orientated training class, I go in with the belief that everyone else is in the class is safe and the firearm that they are using is safe.

I attend classes with instructors that I trust will provide a safe environment for their students. If I am being exposed to a situation where someone has fiddle-farted the internal mechanism of their firearm to the point that their otherwise safe firearm is no longer safe, then that is not a good deal...not what I signed up to experience. This is 100% upon the students to ensure. I think that the instructors have to believe the same, until something is exhibited that leads them to believe otherwise. Without that, they would have to inspect firearms beforehand, and that is not realistic. On the other hand, if there is a well-known issue with a certain factory produced firearm, it could be irresponsible on the instructor's part if the use of that firearm is allowed.

If 100% safety first is the mind-set and behavior that is taught and expected with no exceptions, then that leaves no room for "well, the chances are really small or almost nonexistent". To me, a self-defense orientated training class is for learning how to be safe and make the best decisions possible when one's life is threatened, and not about runnin' and gunnin'.

I hold myself to the same standards that I expect from others. If I break a safety rule(s), and someone is injured or killed because of it, then I'm in a bind and should be held responsible. If I fiddle-fart my firearm to the point that it is unsafe, and someone is injured or killed because of it, then I'm in a bind and should be held responsible.

New guy here, so please excuse my ignorance.

I wonder how many pistols with custom triggers and reduced springs would pass ANY drop test. If we are going to go the route of outlawing the p320 in classes because it is dangerous if dropped in a specific orientation, should we not also start taking a harder look at how "safe" most of customized guns are?

Sig obviously screwed up here, and I have no interest in buying or using their products. However, I wonder if all the concern about P320s is just the tip of the iceberg and there are actually a lot of "unsafe" guns out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ncrockclimb View Post
    New guy here, so please excuse my ignorance.

I wonder how many pistols with custom triggers and reduced springs would pass ANY drop test. If we are going to go the route of outlawing the p320 in classes because it is dangerous if dropped in a specific orientation, should we not also start taking a harder look at how "safe" most of customized guns are?

Sig obviously screwed up here, and I have no interest in buying or using their products. However, I wonder if all the concern about P320s is just the tip of the iceberg and there are actually a lot of "unsafe" guns out there.
    I guess the question now is, how do you go about testing everyone's guns? Do you make them do a drop test?? Not sure many would go for that. One thing that could be done in USPSA is check the half cock notch on 1911s. That seems to be the biggest screw up on bad trigger jobs. Being it CAN be considered a safety device, that wouldn't be too far a stretch. Ironically, USPSA allows the disabling of the grip safety.

User Tag List