Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi-Auto Triggers: market trends, choices, and consequences

An interesting discussion would be are there significant enough differences in various brand striker pistols, to make some more or less acceptable for carry, or are all strikers "bad" for EDC.

The issue of this thread, however, is that Sig designed the 320 and marketed it as drop safe, and it isn't. The complaint with the 320 is not that someone got their finger on the too light bugger switch, but rather the 320 makes loud noises with no finger on the trigger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    OK, so here is a statement that many will not like. This whole thing is the gun communities own fault!

The race has been on to see which manufacturer could build a gun with the shortest and lightest trigger on a striker fired gun for years. Between the aftermarket kits for striker fired guns to the updates to current guns from major manufacturers and new guns hitting the market, it is pretty clear that the customers want as close to a 1911 trigger as they can get, but with no manual safety. The whole culture has gone to the bullshit bravado of "keep your booger hook off the bang switch dude" mentality. We have developed an acceptance for basically single action guns with no safeties. I have been around long enough to remember when a certain striker fired gun hit the market and most of the top guys in the community thought it was ridiculous to have a trigger that short and light with no safety. But here we are, about 30 years later and all anyone wants is a short light trigger on a striker fired a gun. Not to mention all the people that complain about the trigger tab.

When the 320 hit the market, everyone was raving about how great the trigger was and the fact that it did not have a trigger tab. Here we have a fully cocked gun, with no external safety of any kind, and we thought it was great. Sales went through the roof and almost nobody said, hey wait a minute, physics are at play here, what kind of weird magic are they using to keep that thing from firing when it hits the ground. Every other manufacturer that builds a striker fired gun has some kind of trigger tab that keeps the gun from firing when it gets dropped. And what was our answer? "Shut up man, keep your booger hook off the bang switch dude".

At what point will we accept the fact that we are all not Tier One Operators and these things are threat management tools, not just toys we use at the range. If you're so damn good that you never make mistakes and you can use a 1911 with no safeties, then learn how to shoot a gun that sets an example for the rest of us mear mortals.

I for one make mistakes, get scared, and do stupid stuff some times. I will just be over here in the corner with my TDA guns trying to learn how to shoot them better.

I hear what you're saying and agree somewhat. The problem with the balance needed by the industry or just, "us" is that we don't really want a balance. We pick what we think that balance is and then argue for that system(marketing). Sometimes what we think will help doesn't help at all. Sometimes it just gives us a false sense of security. Sometimes it makes it worse.

No one ever seems to want to talk about the, "Why". When we take this down to the geek level what we end up with is people making pistols harder to shoot and feeling that they are more safe. Often they are not. This is the flip side of making the pistol easier to shoot as you allude to. It's as though we forget the mistakes of yesteryear with very similar systems. Is there a sweet spot for trigger? Absolutely. There is a range of products that fit that. But that must be looked at with the amount of training available, how we train, etc.

So can we make a trigger that is too light? Absolutely. Can we make a trigger that is too hard? Absolutely. The industry is flawed by two main problems, "Marketing" and, "The law of unintended consequences". We forget that last one to our own detriment.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Bingo Ernest! Everyone wants "easy to shoot". SIG/Grayguns/Internet are on the "just has to pass a couple tests and we are good". The new mantra is "booger picker off bang switch and I don't drop my guns". Got it. Well now you got so easy to shoot it will do this:

Not only has this thread gone off the rails but what you said and Ernest said are actually many different unrelated things.

Sig screwing up it's engineering and making an unsafe gun has nothing to do with it being a striker fired weapon. We've had screwed up engineering on all weapon systems.

A Striker fired weapon can be made with too light of a trigger. But so is every DA/SA pistol I've shot. Anecdotal, I've seen it and scientific experiments over the years have proved that when "Ascared", transference of force between limbs, etc there is enough pressure put on the DA to make it go bang.

If a trigger on a pistol that is too light shouldn't be made and we are all human and do stupid things, we must by that logic get rid of the DA/SA. That holstered DA/SA in SA that we forgot to decock because we're human is an error waiting to happen. It is far more dangerous because it's lighter and shorter than any production pistol I've fired.

This is an example of Marketing. Marketing does not equal truth...
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    At what point will we accept the fact that we are all not Tier One Operators....
    Hell, even if we were we are still human and still not infallible. Especially when we're already sleep deprived then get an adrenaline dump, etc. Anyone can drop a gun, brush a trigger, have an obstructed holster, etc.

The VP9 trigger was the first one that actually scared me. I've never live fired one, just a couple dry fires at the LGS was enough for me.

Well, let's be clear, I am talking about the "pejorative we". I would hope that everyone knows where I stand on this issue, and trust me, I have tried many times to get on the striker fired band wagon. I even switched over to a Glock 19 for about two months or so back in late 2013. I figured at the time, it's a striker fired world and I just live in it, but that did not last long, I just could not bring myself to stick with it.

You can try to put the blame on the manufacturers, but that is not really fair either. Sig was one of the last hold outs in building a striker gun, followed quickly by HK, and then CZ and Beretta. The market wants a cheap gun that is easy to shoot. The gun companies are in the business of making money. The Polymer Frame, Striker Fired gun, with a chassis trigger system, is by far the cheapest way to manufacture a gun.

Yes, there are some hold outs here. Dagga Boy is one of the few left along with myself. Mike Pannon is another one. But even TGL had switched over to a Glock in the end.

The pressure from the gun culture and the gun manufacturers is almost unbearable. The pressure to shoot a Glock or at least a striker fired gun is just massive, saying otherwise is just silly because we all know it is true. The marketing from the manufacturers is going to be all striker fired from here on out because that is what they really want you to buy. Because that is what they make the most money on, least COGs equals highest profit margins.

And at the end of it, we still don't want to admit that a striker fired gun might be a bad idea. I mean how many AD/NDs have to happen before we say "hey maybe there is an issue here"? How many sets of keys need to pull a trigger on a gun that is holstered? I know of at least three cases and one is still under investigation.

Stupid is as stupid does and people will make mistakes with anything. But we can also make smart decisions that help keep those mistakes to a minimum.

Bottom line, I am just blowing smoke in the end, because this culture is like the church of the gun. Once people decide what the best gun/action is, how dare you say other wise.
    I do not see the pressure to shoot a striker-fired pistol, but I do see the competition to sell striker-fired pistols. And it, as you noted, is not so much striker-fired as it is "inexpensive" and "smaller". People would purchase a cheap hammer-fired gun since the vast majority of guns are bought, not shot. After all, S&W still sells a ton of J-frame "hammer-less" (concealed hammer) revolvers.

I do think it is fair to place some of the blame on the manufacturers as some, including SIG, sell striker-fired guns as safe. SIG even took a shot at Glock with "drop safe" without the trigger tab. If the customers cannot determine what is best to purchase, the manufacturers have to lead the charge. Part of that is advertising and part of that is offering options. I still do not understand how the VP9 is $200 less than the P30.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    Not only has this thread gone off the rails but what you said and Ernest said are actually many different unrelated things.

Sig screwing up it's engineering and making an unsafe gun has nothing to do with it being a striker fired weapon. We've had screwed up engineering on all weapon systems.

A Striker fired weapon can be made with too light of a trigger. But so is every DA/SA pistol I've shot. Anecdotal, I've seen it and scientific experiments over the years have proved that when "Ascared", transference of force between limbs, etc there is enough pressure put on the DA to make it go bang.

If a trigger on a pistol that is too light shouldn't be made and we are all human and do stupid things, we must by that logic get rid of the DA/SA. That holstered DA/SA in SA that we forgot to decock because we're human is an error waiting to happen. It is far more dangerous because it's lighter and shorter than any production pistol I've fired.

This is an example of Marketing. Marketing does not equal truth...
    Go back, read what I have wrote on trigger systems, particularly regarding striker pistols which I have carried extensively, and then take my statement in context to that. Just google "Why I like the LEM". The part about handing out guns with extremely "easy to shoot" triggers like candy would be the context.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 08-11-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Hell, even if we were we are still human and still not infallible. Especially when we're already sleep deprived then get an adrenaline dump, etc. Anyone can drop a gun, brush a trigger, have an obstructed holster, etc.

The VP9 trigger was the first one that actually scared me. I've never live fired one, just a couple dry fires at the LGS was enough for me.
    Yeah, I had a VP9 for a short spell a while ago... I agree 100% on the trigger. Great gaming gun, not even remotely close to something I'd feel comfortable carrying on me. It feels like a strong wind could set a round off, despite the pull weight being about 5-6 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I do not see the pressure to shoot a striker-fired pistol, but I do see the competition to sell striker-fired pistols. And it, as you noted, is not so much striker-fired as it is "inexpensive" and "smaller". People would purchase a cheap hammer-fired gun since the vast majority of guns are bought, not shot. After all, S&W still sells a ton of J-frame "hammer-less" (concealed hammer) revolvers.

I do think it is fair to place some of the blame on the manufacturers as some, including SIG, sell striker-fired guns as safe. SIG even took a shot at Glock with "drop safe" without the trigger tab. If the customers cannot determine what is best to purchase, the manufacturers have to lead the charge. Part of that is advertising and part of that is offering options. I still do not understand how the VP9 is $200 less than the P30.

I think you are correct. But isn't that true of all handgun systems? As a new officer I carried a HK USP 40 that would drop the magazine at the slightest bump. They replaced the parts but not the pistol. From day one to the last day it would drop the mags. At least once a day on patrol the magazine would be in the seat or loose in the pistol but not seated. What makes this problem unique to striker fired? Right now, media. Strikers are all the rage. If we were to switch the entire world back to DA/SA or revolvers we would soon be having the same conversation about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Go back, read what I have wrote on trigger systems, particularly regarding striker pistols which I have carried extensively, and then take my statement in context to that. Just google "Why I like the LEM". The part about handing out guns with extremely "easy to shoot" triggers like candy would be the context.

If you go back and read what you wrote you will remember it was I that was right there in the conversation disagreeing with you. Context or not what you guys are saying makes no logical sense. One thing does not equal the other.

Ernest's and Dagga Boy's points, are, as usual, cogent and spot on, in my opinion. While I'm PERSONALLY comfortable with my Glocks to feel safe in carry useage, for a duty/threat management handgun my preferences have moved over to HK's LEM (in my case, a P30L V1) and DAO (in my case, with my Beretta 92D with liberal doses of Wilson Combat hardware to improve and lighten the triggerpull).

I see distinct advantages for threat management use in an action that requires some distance with the triggerpull prior to ignition, as well as in an action that does not require any decocking or safeing, other than removing my finger from the trigger and holstering.

Dagga Boy's article on the LEM does a very succinct job in the pros and cons inherent to the various action types.

And, as we've discussed here in a previous thread, I too have some residual concerns over the perceptual lightness/soft trigger break of the HK VPs, although otherwise the VPs have some highly commendable features.

Bottom line: As Ernest points out, we have to weigh "shootabality" and "threat management" characteristics in a gun/platform dependent upon likely use, shooter skill proficiency, and venue. The default choice should likely be the safest.

Best, Jon

User Tag List