Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi-Auto Triggers: market trends, choices, and consequences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv89_3rrW8Y

I don't know if this was cocked or not.

In the past, the first DA shot was considered a throwaway shot so you could get to SA for the remaining shots.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Then why are we even having this discussion? I am confused because we are stating that most people would be better served by a DA/SA because they are too incompetent to stay safe with a striker. Or have I misunderstood this line of discussion.
    The way I read it EL wasn't talking about untrained masses in Post #1. They have no idea what threat management is. Their mindset is, I presume, heavy on hope and light on reality. Perhaps this would put some perspective on that: http://blog.krtraining.com/beyond-th...ercent-part-1/ Does it matter which trigger your pistol has if you fire two rounds to get a CWP and don't fire another round for five years? I doubt it. IMO the argument presumes some level of skill.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post

If memory serves her pistol wasn't cocked. Rule 3 violation anyway.

In the past, the first DA shot was considered a throwaway shot so you could get to SA for the remaining shots.
    I remember Jeff Cooper arguing that. Not his finest moment.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Some of Jeff Cooper's more spurious advice.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    The way I read it EL wasn't talking about untrained masses in Post #1. They have no idea what threat management is. Their mindset is, I presume, heavy on hope and light on reality. Perhaps this would put some perspective on that: http://blog.krtraining.com/beyond-th...ercent-part-1/ Does it matter which trigger your pistol has if you fire two rounds to get a CWP and don't fire another round for five years? I doubt it. IMO the argument presumes some level of skill.
    Are there studies on threat management that showcase the difference in viability of the different triggers? I feel like this is something that should be looked at by an unbiased sort so we can have some data.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Which sort of implies that you are normal...but I digress...

(Yes, WB and I are buddies. If not cousins, as has already been established elsewhere. )
    Hmm ... yeah that could be a dangerous assumption.

(Yes we are. Btw, should I start calling you 'cuz'? )

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I would have to argue that if "most" folks I have worked with over the years can at least minimally master a SF firearm, there's hope for virtually everyone that populates this site...with the occasional exception. No snark intended...just my observations after these many years of observing the wide range of capability among LE officers from the 80s thru the 2000s.
    Makes sense.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    If memory serves her pistol wasn't cocked. Rule 3 violation anyway.

I remember Jeff Cooper arguing that. Not his finest moment.

I can't debate what Cooper said or not. But functionally that is what many LEO's did with their DA/SA. We can put labels on them, complain that the training was not sufficient quality/quantity, etc but it still happened. In this day and age a good question is, "Is there a viable alternative to just avoid the problem?"
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Then why are we even having this discussion? I am confused because we are stating that most people would be better served by a DA/SA because they are too incompetent to stay safe with a striker. Or have I misunderstood this line of discussion.
    I still believe the DA revolver is the best answer for most people. Like it or not, people shoot themselves more often than they shoot bad guys and by a pretty high margin (not counting suicides, strictly number of UDs causing injury or death vs justified shoots of non-criminals vs criminals). Capacity rarely matters, the shots are not challenging, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Apropos of nothing or no post/poster in particular, but I think people are usually more capable than they give themselves credit for and that they overestimate the difficulty of any given endeavor.

Of course, there are also people who are the exact opposite.
    Just change "first base" to "DA trigger"...

For breakingtime, I am not aware of any studies. I'm also unsure how you can eliminate the question of whether it is training or hardware.
    Last edited by Hambo; 08-14-2017 at 05:40 PM.

When I took API 250 at Gunsite, Jeff Cooper delivered his terrific mindset lecture. He also referred to the "crunchenticker" and mentioned somewhat in jest, throwing away the first DA shot. Not sure if that was serious advice, or more a reflection of his dislike for DA triggers on semi-auto pistols. Glad one of our students, a bike cop from Southern California ignored that, as he won our shoot off with a Beretta 92.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List