Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long guns and drop safety

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Ok that's it...

I'm switching to a GP100 and a Chiappa 1892.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am not so far from this, myself, except a more-modern lever rifle, the Browning BLR with the folding-hammer "safety."
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-11-2017 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Ok that's it...

I'm switching to a GP100 and a Chiappa 1892.
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Two thoughts - I've dropped revolvers a few times and never once worried about them going bang. Not enough weight in the firing pin to set off a DA revolver (or for that matter a DAO/TDA semi-auto) via momentum only. At least not at full decock, ........
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    And here lies the cop world urban legend problem. I can pretty much 100% guarantee that an 870 falling over sideways from leaned against a fence won't be going off (or a 320 for that matter). What I can guarantee is that when an officer is trying to retriev a gun through a fence and gets a finger in a trigger with out the safety on and it goes bang, that is totally normal. If the officer is beloved and on the Chief's Christmas card list, the "it just fell and went off" will go in the no harm, no foul "broken gun" file. I am highly critical of most cop legend stories seeing how much stories differed from facts on cases I worked first hand. I will be honest, it is hard proving your co workers wrong on the "I don't know what happened, it just went off" story that is actually the "I don't remember being on the trigger" story.
    Many of the bad incidents over the years can be replicated during a good investigation. Most of the "just went off" incidents that actually did not involve a finger on the trigger are found to have involved something in the trigger, often attached to or part of clothing.
    This has a lot of influence in my current disinterest in SFA pistols. As to DB's long gun post above, I believe the same dynamic is involved with hunting 'accidents'....something got to the trigger, which then reacted as designed. This is why I really liked the DA trigger on the 590DA1. Alas, DA triggers are hard.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 08-16-2017 at 09:21 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Texas publishes a summary description of all the hunting accidents in the state each year. Google can find it if you care. It's basically a compendium of case studies of what not to do, and why the four rules matter. Could be a useful teaching tool for instructors.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

There is a reason that many professional hunters in Africa and Alaska carry their long guns in condition three, and want their clients doing the same, until shooting is imminent or possibly imminent. As my PH in Botswana said, "I am a lot more worried about being shot by a .375 H&H than mauled by a lion." This from a PH who had been mauled by a lion.

My shotgun stays in condition three with a slug floated, when out and about in Alaska, with a slug chambered when entering thick cover and where the hazard of a loaded chamber offsets the lack of time to chamber a round if a bear charged. I have it on good authority, that my Vizsla is a strong advocate of condition three carry, since she is almost always out in front.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Traditional lever actions get carried chamber empty by me for the same reasons mentioned above. I have had a chance to look at the Winchester 94 early angle eject trigger group. I'm sort of warming up the the rebounding hammer with actual hammer block. Ive been a staunch traditionalist in this regard for a long time, but I can see the practical side of this. I believe it would be drop safe. It doesnt influence me to want to carry loaded chamber, but the times I would, it looks like its definitely safer than the older type trigger system.

Quick update: So far there hasn't been nearly as much push back as I was expecting on people getting their guns fixed. In fact my agency was quick to distribute a memo by the range master that required proof of upgrade before being allowed to carry the P320 off duty from here on out.

Looking back on my original post, I wish I articulated my inquiry better. I didn't have a lot of time to sit down and lay out my thoughts, but I wanted to get your guys' input on the subject before Monday. The end result was a hodgepodge of questions that weren't so cohesive.

Thanks again for everyone taking the time to post your thoughts and thoroughly answering my questions.

User Tag List