Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A couple of quick N frame questions

Site Supporter

A couple of quick N frame questions

I'm sure this information is spread throughout other threads but I just picked up a S&W 25-5 and had a couple questions.

I have small hands (mens small / womens medium gloves) what are the best grips? I was thinking Ahrend's smooth tactical. I suppose I could have it cut to a round butt if absolutely necessary. In the field I plan to follow Mr. Linebaugh's notes on loads.

It was been stored in one of those "rust proof" storage bags and had three or four small spots of surface rust. Does that change the answer to my round butt conversion question? Since I plan to use it as my outdoor revolver (and the sidearm I'll bring to a HiTS class if I can get in one) I'm tempted to send it to Robar for the NP3 treatment. If the collector value is already shot (in addition to the rust spots there is no box/paperwork) am I crazy to default to the nuclear (NP3) option?

I wouldn't send it off right away regardless, it seems to be low round count (the seller claimed it was never fired and I have no reason to not believe him) I would want to break it in prior to sending it off for any kind of internal coating.

I'll post some pics later tonight so you can better judge.

Site Supporter
    I have those grips on 3 K-frames and like them. I haven't tried the N-frame version.

I wouldn't modify the gun permanently. Even with some minor rust spotting, you'll harm the value significantly with frame modification and refinishing. S&W 25s aren't exactly common. Rust, unless pitting, and no-paperwork are minor issues on uncommon guns.

0000 Steel Wool and oil will frequently remove rust and leave the surrounding finish untouched. Have you tried that?

I have smallish hands for a man (Men's M/L), so I understand fit issues with handgun grips. That said, the N-frame square butt frame isn't that large. You should be able to find some slim grips that fit you. If they're available, some Magna-style grips would work. I don't think S&W ever made Magnas for N-frames, so you'll have to go aftermarket.

Chris

They made N magnas.

I like the smooth factory target grips, worked down to suit me. They arent as available as in years past. Todays good options may be Herretts Roper type. Being smooth, you can file and sand them to suit your hand. My favorite Smith N grips are worked down past whats possible with factory checkered grips, though even they can be improved quite a lot with files and sandpaper.

Lost River has smooth target grips on several of his N frame Smiths, I dont recall exactly what make they are, but are the general idea of what I did with factory smooth target grips. They may work for you right out of the box.

I saw one guy that worked Smith target grips down to his liking and in the process went clear through the outer grip surface to the grip frame at the lower front corner. He didnt care, he just wanted them to be comfortable to him. Do the same, work them down to what you like, but go slow and ask questions rather than end up ruining a set of grips. If you could handle various grips it may give a good idea what to do. I had a set of N targets from the 50s I liked a lot, so swapped one side of them with a side of my smooth factory rosewood targets and traced the inner shape of the front side, and ended up with some very comfortable grips. I shortened mine by about 2/3 of what hung down below the grip frame also.

Id also suggest leaving the metal of the gun alone if possible. I for one, really really dont like round butt grip frames, but, other than some grip options available, there isnt much actual size difference other than the corners.

Borrowed from the Smith forum. This is square butt service or magnas on a round butt grip frame. RB makes some sense for concealement, but you only gain about 1/2" in overall gun length I believe, and I dont think it really gains much for small hand gripability, so long as comparable grips are concerned. Some people do like them, so i'm just one lone voice in the wilderness about grip frame opinions. Theyre still you-gly though.

Name:  square vs round.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  68.0 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-18-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Leave it alone. Even in less than perfect condition and with no box or documents, it has collectable value. Yes, S&W made Magna grips for N-Frames but originals are expensive. You might try Hogue grips. They aren't overly large. I have large hands and their finger groove models are a bit small for me. If you want wood, give Herrett's a try.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 08-18-2017 at 02:33 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

N Magnas + Tyler T-grip for the win.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    That's what I needed to hear. I probably should have asked about the collectible value over on the S&W forum but I don't have an account there and I trust that you guys are plenty knowledgeable! I'm sure I can clean the rust up, I am just not a collector so I wasn't sure how much it would have hurt the value. I have no desire to ruin a hard to find revolver which is why I asked.

I'm not planning on replacing my Glock with it as an everyday carry so as long as I can make a set of square frame grips work I have no desire to do a round butt conversion.

The Herrett's Ropers do look good, I'll probably start with a set of those.

Once you have a set of Ropers, they can likely be modified to an acceptable size and shape if need be. They may be just right right out of the box. They look like they feel very good, just from looking at several aspects I recognize.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Once you have a set of Ropers, they can likely be modified to an acceptable size and shape if need be. They may be just right right out of the box. They look like they feel very good, just from looking at several aspects I recognize.
    I'm encouraged that they ask for tracings when you order the stocks I'm going to give them a call Monday.
    Last edited by sharps54; 08-18-2017 at 04:31 PM. Reason: to finish thought

Excellent.

One of my main complaints about many custom grips, and grips like Pachmayrs and Hogues, they are often very thin at the top when viewed from the back, which is right where you take the recoil in the web of your hand. Its one reason I like working down the old factory smooth targets, to keep a wide, but nicely rounded section in that spot. I havent seen the Ropers in person, but that thin part is why I got rid of a set of Herretts Shooting Stars that came on a gun. Then again, none of that may be a problem or bother you. Grips are pretty individualistic in many regards. I'm curious how the top rear part is after you get them, perhaps you could post a pic then?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Excellent.

One of my main complaints about many custom grips, and grips like Pachmayrs and Hogues, they are often very thin at the top when viewed from the back, which is right where you take the recoil in the web of your hand. Its one reason I like working down the old factory smooth targets, to keep a wide, but nicely rounded section in that spot. I havent seen the Ropers in person, but that thin part is why I got rid of a set of Herretts Shooting Stars that came on a gun. Then again, none of that may be a problem or bother you. Grips are pretty individualistic in many regards. I'm curious how the top rear part is after you get them, perhaps you could post a pic then?
    Will do!

User Tag List