Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homicide Statistics

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    "Things are not the same as 50 years ago, when there were "good neighborhoods" and "bad parts of town". Crime and criminals are mobile, and can occur anywhere.
    That's the case in New Orleans now. Once upon a time, the traditional tourist areas were relatively safe. You could easily wander into trouble a few blocks over. Now, it seems like I'm routinely reading about major crimes in the tourist areas.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Just for comparison, at the end of July we were at 89, and as it happens the same clearance rate (well, 33.71, but close enough). 74 were murders, with the rest being police action (1), non-LEO justified shoot (10), and accidentals (4). Of the 74, 5 were domestic, 14 were arguments, and 7 robberies, so that's all pretty close. 42 were unknown. 7 were drugs.

I'm sure Tom knows, but for others, motive of "robbery" doesn't preclude a dope, debt, or otherwise targeted attack. Some are truly random/business robberies, of course. Also, the self defense/justified is sometimes bad guy on bad guy type stuff as well. Even the dope man can justifiably shoot the armed home invader.

Weapons:

2 blunt force
    2 stabbing
    84 gunshot
    1 not listed

Of the incidents (remember this is both murders and non-murders) that at least one suspect and one victim are identified, relationships are (rounded to nearest whole number):
    58% - acquaintance
    14% - unknown
    9% - friend
    7% - family
    5% - dating
    5% -stranger
    2% - estranged
    10 to 1 non-LEO justified shooting to LEO justified shooting!!! Holy cow. I had no idea the ratio could skew that dramatically. Talk about validating the 2nd Amendment!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Tom- good break down of the stats in Memphis.
    I live in North Fort Worth and always read through the Quarterly briefs by the Fort Worth PD. I think the information should be mandatory. Another great resource is on www.crimemapping.com which you can tailor to get a broad overview of the area you live in.

I do have a question- on crimemapping.com I am able to find an incident number, which I can input in to the FWPD database and get a tiny brief. How does a civilian go about getting more details on the entire incident? I would like to read the entire brief in order to better understand what happened. I think as a concealed carrier- it is important for all of us to understand the stats around crime. In the Ft Worth area- just based on a 30 second map analysis, you can see that almost every homicide occurred inside the 820 loop or right on the border.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Good info Tom. Seems like it might be a state-wide Metro trend. Nashville has had a homicide increase of around 60% from last year, to date. And oddly enough, East Nashville has been the worst part of Nashville, beating out the Northside. Despite the city's efforts at gentrification of the East side. Even in our affluent neighborhood of the Gulch, there was a random parking lot shooting. Who'd of thought that the drug dealers in this fair city enjoyed drinking with the rich and famous in town? (Cue sarcasm).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@holmes168 Depending on how serious you are at wanting to get more details on the incident(s) you see on crime mapping you can contact the agency and do a FOIA(Freedom Of Information Act) request for the report. The report will be redacted to exclude key details of the persons involved but will have the rest of the information. Be aware that most if not all agencies charge for making copies and retrieving this information and the cost varies. Ongoing cases may have further restrictions on access or be more heavily redacted.
    Last edited by octagon; 08-11-2017 at 08:43 AM.

criminals are mobile
    They certainly are. Apparently the 'in' crime in Ft. Lauderdale is to rent (no shit) or steal a car, then drive at least an hour north to this area and hit us. Mainly it's burglary, but includes armed robbery, auto theft, and one home/invasion kidnapping.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Thanks, Mr. Givens - great stuff.

This brings us full circle back to the "Mayberry" thread. Criminals ARE mobile, now more than ever. And, generally, they commit crimes in order to earn money. Where's the better pay off on a burglary - in the 'hood where everyone's scraping by, or in the affluent suburbs?

There are no "safe" areas - just places that haven't been targeted yet. Think about that the next time you run to the store with just a J-frame in your pocket.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    10 to 1 non-LEO justified shooting to LEO justified shooting!!! Holy cow. I had no idea the ratio could skew that dramatically. Talk about validating the 2nd Amendment!
    It's usually more even, but the non-LEO tend to have a few more. This year has seen some increased violence between rival factions due to disruptions in revenue sources, shall we say.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Thanks, Mr. Givens - great stuff.

This brings us full circle back to the "Mayberry" thread. Criminals ARE mobile, now more than ever. And, generally, they commit crimes in order to earn money. Where's the better pay off on a burglary - in the 'hood where everyone's scraping by, or in the affluent suburbs?

There are no "safe" areas - just places that haven't been targeted yet. Think about that the next time you run to the store with just a J-frame in your pocket.
    Way back in the early 1970's when I was green, I arrested a burglar in a very nice neighborhood. I idly asked him what brought him to that area. He replied, "Fool, there's nothing to steal where I stay." I quit asking dumb questions not long after that.

Way back in the early 1970's when I was green, I arrested a burglar in a very nice neighborhood. I idly asked him what brought him to that area. He replied, "Fool, there's nothing to steal where I stay." I quit asking dumb questions not long after that.
    One thing that's jumped out immediately to me when looking at crime mapping software was where reported incidents tend to show up, and how closely they're correlated to main arteries of transportation. In the less-nice areas, crime density is higher the closer you are to a main road. In the very nice area of town, you see almost no crime at all (which I'm sure is of little comfort to the singular guy/gal that gets robbed at gunpoint in the nice area of town), EXCEPT in the areas immediately adjacent to the metro line. So many people live near the metro line in the nice area of town and think they're in a relatively safe environment, and are shocked when I tell them why they're misinformed and pull up a map to show them.

User Tag List