Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homicide Statistics

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    One thing that's jumped out immediately to me when looking at crime mapping software was where reported incidents tend to show up, and how closely they're correlated to main arteries of transportation. In the less-nice areas, crime density is higher the closer you are to a main road. In the very nice area of town, you see almost no crime at all (which I'm sure is of little comfort to the singular guy/gal that gets robbed at gunpoint in the nice area of town), EXCEPT in the areas immediately adjacent to the metro line. So many people live near the metro line in the nice area of town and think they're in a relatively safe environment, and are shocked when I tell them why they're misinformed and pull up a map to show them.
    Absolutely. I used to live in a suburb of Memphis, that had another small city between our town and Memphis. The state built a spur expressway to connect our suburb to southeast Memphis. In the first year after that leg of expressway opened, crime went up in our town by 23%. Quick and easy access/escape is important to thugs.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Tom- good break down of the stats in Memphis.
    I live in North Fort Worth and always read through the Quarterly briefs by the Fort Worth PD. I think the information should be mandatory. Another great resource is on www.crimemapping.com which you can tailor to get a broad overview of the area you live in.

I do have a question- on crimemapping.com I am able to find an incident number, which I can input in to the FWPD database and get a tiny brief. How does a civilian go about getting more details on the entire incident? I would like to read the entire brief in order to better understand what happened. I think as a concealed carrier- it is important for all of us to understand the stats around crime. In the Ft Worth area- just based on a 30 second map analysis, you can see that almost every homicide occurred inside the 820 loop or right on the border.
    Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    @holmes168 Depending on how serious you are at wanting to get more details on the incident(s) you see on crime mapping you can contact the agency and do a FOIA(Freedom Of Information Act) request for the report. The report will be redacted to exclude key details of the persons involved but will have the rest of the information. Be aware that most if not all agencies charge for making copies and retrieving this information and the cost varies. Ongoing cases may have further restrictions on access or be more heavily redacted.
    Exactly as octagon says.

Having helped manage a police reporting beat before, if this is something you are really interested in I have 2 suggestions:

1) make nice with the folks that run the front desk at your local PD and SO. If they like you, they will probably charge you less for the time factor if you get multiple reports. Especially if you make sure to come in on their slow times.

2) Go get to know your local police reporter(s). They will be willing to be a resource for you, especially if your interest could be a resource for them as well.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    1) make nice with the folks that run the front desk at your local PD and SO. If they like you, they will probably charge you less for the time factor if you get multiple reports. Especially if you make sure to come in on their slow times.
    While it obviously varies, our department has everything online now. You just punch in the case number, pay for it, and it's sent to you. Going to the nearest PD will just get you instructions to use the website.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm sure Tom knows, but for others, motive of "robbery" doesn't preclude a dope, debt, or otherwise targeted attack.
    A salty veteran once told me that 99% of murder/attempt murders boil down to dope, women (I'm using a politer term), or gambling.

I passed that sage wisdom on to the youngsters whenever we responded to the guy who was just walking down the street and got shot for no reason.

Site Supporter
    I'm a lifelong southerner who has traveled in his region. I stay away from New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Jackson, Mississippi. My home was within 100 miles of each. Also I avoid Memphis, parts of Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas. Note I said parts of. Demographic data are public information and easily looked up. In polite and/or educated circles, beware if you mention the crime topic. Doing so and referring to published demographics will bring about social exclusion. Talking about crime even without reference to data will make some other people nervous. They fear that you may then discuss who the actors are. College kids and other young adults from pampered back grounds feel uncomfortable hearing such information. Many can't explain their feelings but learned the response from having seen their adult family model it.

Many years ago before chl's were common in my region, I had to make an emergency trip to my parents home in Mississippi. I was teaching school and called my wife(at home with the crud) and told her about the emergency. We had two pups, Buster and Katy. I told her that I was not taking Buster and Katy with me but go ahead and get Luther ready because I was going through Baton Rouge. Nosy people dipping in my conversation asked if I had another dog. I said no. Others asked me about Baton rouge. You see, Luther is the name my wife had hung on my 870 riot gun. Getting him ready referred to finding its special case.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    Good (bad) stuff, Tom.

FYI, with 38,000 fewer residents than Memphis, Baltimore just racked up its 213th murder.
    When I looked at the list of victims earlier this year I had a hard time finding one that didn't have a felony record. I'm not Saying that means their murder was definitely felony-related, but it does make one consider the stupid things/places/people formula.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    When I looked at the list of victims earlier this year I had a hard time finding one that didn't have a felony record. I'm not Saying that means their murder was definitely felony-related, but it does make one consider the stupid things/places/people formula.
    Definitely, but with some notable exceptions.

9 days after my first post in this thread, that # went from 213 to 225 (as of today). Unbelievable!

User Tag List