Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HK P30, Beretta PX4 and Glock 17 Adverse Conditions Test

Vending Machine Operator
    I always appreciate more data points.

My own guns will stay lovingly maintained like museum pieces...but these are always a good read.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Oh, so a glock fails the mud test,
    and suddenly nobody's around to record it...

Quote Originally Posted by Danoobie View Post
    Truthfully I wasn't gonna record any of it...but after I had issues with the G17 I figured I'd better record the rest to keep my internet cred high
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by Danoobie View Post
    Since joining this board you have posted in atleast two threads to bash glocks. How about you just calm down. Everyone here is discussing the failure and figuring out why guns failed the tests.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 08-09-2017 at 08:54 PM.

Thanks for taking the time to share your findings. It's always interesting to see how things will shake out and I know it took a great amount of effort to put together. Your reasoning for testing is sound due to your hunting conditions described.

On a side note, I just realized i've attended a training class with you a few years ago. Small world.
    Last edited by Lyonsgrid; 08-09-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Back when I duck hunted, I always had a few large ziplock bags with me.

Side note, when cleaning the G17 I did notice a good amount of dirt/grit in the striker channel. I'm wondering if the maritime spring cups, which aid in functioning around water, are a detriment when the gun is exposed to excess amounts of dirt. Perhaps the maritime cups allow more dirt to enter the striker channel than the standard cups.

Think I've settled on a more...realistic testing procedure. Each gun will be cleaned/lightly lubed. 100 total rounds; 50 Federal HST 124+P and 50 WWB 115gr. I'll do a 5 round function check with each gun with the 124+P and then I'll start the "test." Each portion of the test will be 15 rounds and each gun will use 5 separate magazines. The HST 124+P will be used exclusively for the "elemental" part of my test.

Gonna use a small leaf blower to blow dirt onto/into the actions of each gun. Hopefully this will more realistically simulate what would happen if I were to carry one of these while riding an ATV down a dusty road or while on a tractor in a dusty field, etc. Will attempt to fire 15 rounds.

After that I'll drop each gun into the muddy water mixture, give them a good shake and then fire 15 rounds. Once all 3 have attempted/completed this portion, I'm gonna do it again. So this portion of the test will be 30 rounds.

That will be 50 rounds of 124+P fired in the worst conditions I can ever imagine these guns being subjected to. By this point the guns will assuredly be extremely dirty and then I'll give them a bath in clean water. I'll cycle the slide a few times underwater and then will fire 50 rounds of Winchester White Box 115 to see how they run devoid of lubrication and after all the above tests have been done. I'll probably do 25 rounds, set the gun back in the water, reload and fire the last 25. It'll be very interesting to as which gun, if any, will make it through the 100 round test.

I hope to get this all on one continuous video stream so no one can accuse me of altering the test or showing favoritism towards one particular gun. Stay tuned!
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by 357carbine View Post
    Back when I duck hunted, I always had a few large ziplock bags with me.
    It's not always duck hunting where I could leave it in a ziplock in my waders or in my blind bag..I was in the woods last year checking out a friend's property to hog hunt on and we had to cross a small stream. There was a convenient dead log that had fallen across the stream, and I decided to try to walk across it. I ended up slipping and falling into the creek and I sank up to my groin in decomposing leaves and mud. I wasn't wearing a pistol then but had I been and God forbid if I would have needed to use it after that I wonder would it have worked? This test will hopefully give me a little piece of mind.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 08-09-2017 at 09:26 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Side note, when cleaning the G17 I did notice a good amount of dirt/grit in the striker channel. I'm wondering if the maritime spring cups, which aid in functioning around water, are a detriment when the gun is exposed to excess amounts of dirt. Perhaps the maritime cups allow more dirt to enter the striker channel than the standard cups.

Think I've settled on a more...realistic testing procedure. Each gun will be cleaned/lightly lubed. 100 total rounds; 50 Federal HST 124+P and 50 WWB 115gr. I'll do a 5 round function check with each gun with the 124+P and then I'll start the "test." Each portion of the test will be 15 rounds and each gun will use 5 separate magazines. The HST 124+P will be used exclusively for the "elemental" part of my test.

Gonna use a small leaf blower to blow dirt onto/into the actions of each gun. Hopefully this will more realistically simulate what would happen if I were to carry one of these while riding an ATV down a dusty road or while on a tractor in a dusty field, etc. Will attempt to fire 15 rounds.

After that I'll drop each gun into the muddy water mixture, give them a good shake and then fire 15 rounds. Once all 3 have attempted/completed this portion, I'm gonna do it again. So this portion of the test will be 30 rounds.

That will be 50 rounds of 124+P fired in the worst conditions I can ever imagine these guns being subjected to. By this point the guns will assuredly be extremely dirty and then I'll give them a bath in clean water. I'll cycle the slide a few times underwater and then will fire 50 rounds of Winchester White Box 115 to see how they run devoid of lubrication and after all the above tests have been done. I'll probably do 25 rounds, set the gun back in the water, reload and fire the last 25. It'll be very interesting to as which gun, if any, will make it through the 100 round test.

I hope to get this all on one continuous video stream so no one can accuse me of altering the test or showing favoritism towards one particular gun. Stay tuned!
    It would be interesting if the glock does lack luster, put it back to stock configuration internally and attempt again.

Hammertime
    I think you should test with Glock with a stock connector given that the problem was the connector and that is a non stock part in your gun.

User Tag List