Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P226 Drop Safe question

Sig P226 Drop Safe question

I have a Beretta 92 and understand it to be drop safe , even if cocked, because the firing pin block will still be in proper position until trigger pulled. I read the Sig 226 is also drop safe UNLESS you lower the hammer manually w/o using the decocker. Is it true that if you manually lower the hammer using trigger the 226 may not be drop safe? Beyond that is the 226 drop safe IF cocked, like the Beretta 92? I like the 226. Just wondering how the mechanism works. I understand it has only the decocker and no safety.

You ought to have asked this here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....he-P320-thread)

Maybe a mod can move it. Now regarding the 226, drop-safety is not the issue with lowering the hammer manually (sans decocker), the issue is that to do so you must pull the trigger, which disengages the firing pin block and the sear's "half-cock"/intercept notch. So if you slip with your thumb while trying to lower the hammer and it falls it will hit the firing pin (due to not being caught by the sear intercept notch) and the firing pin will move forward (due to not being stopped by the firing pin block) and the gun may fire. Now, if you successfully lower the hammer manually, the trigger rebound spring will automatically move the hammer back to the intercept notch, away from the firing pin, at which point once you release the trigger (which you'd have to do to drop it, obviously), the firing pin block will re-engage and the pistol would be every bit as drop safe as if you used the decocking lever.

Now, whether the 226 is drop safe with the hammer cocked I couldn't tell you. I would assume so given the lack of incident over the course of decades. If the hammer were to slip off the sear (without inertia forcing the trigger fully to the rear) it would most likely be stopped by the intercept notch and the FPB would still be engaged anyway. I suspect this would most likely happen (if at all) if the gun hits the floor muzzle down. Muzzle up, the inertia of the trigger moving back would need to counter the mass of the trigger bar which moves in the opposite direction, as well as the pressure on the sear from the sear spring.

Hope this helps, and if I'm wrong I trust somebody can correct me.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Curious because I own a P220. It's a '97 vintage, so it should be fine. I'm actually more curious about if the SP2022 is drop safe or not. They're not super widespread, but I've not heard anything on those either.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Will the 226 shoot with mag removed and round in chamber?

yes, unless you have a state-complaint model with a magazine disconnect, if such a thing exists.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    yes, unless you have a state-complaint model with a magazine disconnect, if such a thing exists.
    Yes, there are MA/CA compliant versions of classic Sigs. The disconnect is known for failing and disabling the pistol completely, causing it to fail to fire even with a magazine in. Similar situation to the S&W soul-leaking hole.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    Will the 226 shoot with mag removed and round in chamber?
    A standard P226 ? Yes it will fire under those circumstances.

There are some versions of the P226 with magazine safety's which prevent the gun from firing if the mag is removed. They were originally a special order item fo LE agencies which wanted them as a weapon retention measure, the idea being an officer struggling during a gun grab could press the mag release and disable the gun. These pop up as LE trades.

Certain state compliant versions also have magazine safety's to comply with inane regulation in places like MA and CA.

There are apparently at least two different versions of magazine safety in classic SIGs. The original design had issues and was replaced by the current design.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-09-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Curious because I own a P220. It's a '97 vintage, so it should be fine. I'm actually more curious about if the SP2022 is drop safe or not. They're not super widespread, but I've not heard anything on those either.

No idea about the 2022, but there was a CA police officer killed in 2002 when he dropped his P220 in the station parking lot (http://www.odmp.org/officer/16325-of...enneth-paderez.) Subsequent investigation determined that he had lowered the hammer with his thumb instead of using the decocker. I believe this issue was addressed by inclusion of a hammer return spring. IRRC the way to tell the difference is the hammer spur is sharper on the older guns, while the newer guns have a rounded spur. If you have an older gun I don't know if SIG offers an "upgrade" to the newer parts, or if you're expected to do it yourself. I also don't know if the older guns aren't drop safe when the decocker is used, just that they can discharge if the decocker is not used.

Quote Originally Posted by jck397 View Post
    No idea about the 2022, but there was a CA police officer killed in 2002 when he dropped his P220 in the station parking lot (http://www.odmp.org/officer/16325-of...enneth-paderez.) Subsequent investigation determined that he had lowered the hammer with his thumb instead of using the decocker. I believe this issue was addressed by inclusion of a hammer return spring. IRRC the way to tell the difference is the hammer spur is sharper on the older guns, while the newer guns have a rounded spur. If you have an older gun I don't know if SIG offers an "upgrade" to the newer parts, or if you're expected to do it yourself. I also don't know if the older guns aren't drop safe when the decocker is used, just that they can discharge if the decocker is not used.
    The P220 is essentially a collection item that will remain largely a safe queen. It won't be carried in any serious capacity ever. The SP2022 on the other hand is something that I'd consider carrying, particularly through magazine capacity limited states. If it ain't drop safe, I need to know sooner rather than later so I can figure out what I want to do with it.

Use the decocker. I witnessed a veteran federal officer ND a p230 at a qual trying to thumb down the hammer.
    When asked, he said he had carried the gun for years and never used the decocker. Thankfully nothing was damaged but pride and asses unclenched soon afterward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List