Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning brass

Ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning brass

I have a question for cleaning brass cases with a ultrasonic cleaner. If I use one of these cleaners for cleaning brass will they clean the brass well enough to use for reloading or will I have to tumble and polish the brass in a tumbler before I can reload the cases.

Site Supporter
    I use one. Works alright but you don't get a ton of volume and you need to replace the water/solution after a few cycles.

I'm usually not after super shiny brass, I just need it to work with my dies, so I use a spray on lube in addition so it runs through the dies smoother.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ultrasonic cleaning works for brass but stainless tumbling is a better alternative. Most ultrasonic cleaners can't hold near the volume of brass that a tumbler can and if you're going to go through the trouble of a wet process might as well go with one that will clean the primer pockets too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by andre3k; 08-09-2017 at 04:51 PM.

I use one and do a couple hundred case per 15 minute run and then throw them in a food dehydrator for drying. I can get through a couple thousand cases in an evening. Works well for my purposes.

FPS, you must be using a large commercial type USC with heater, yes ? Must of us that use the Hornady or small type usc that only have 8 minute cycles find it ok but takes lots time, many 8 min cycles to clean small batches of brass. 25-50 pcs at a time.
    I do not have stainless steel pin tumbler but seems they do a really great job on deprimed brass. I tumble clean deprimed brass and it does the job for me. I set a timer for 2-4 hrs and brass is cleaned. The primer pockets are not 100% spotless but good enough for my type reloading. SS pin cleans pockets better and then you need to dry the brass.
    Tumble media cleaning with a cap of nu finish car polish leaves a thin film of polish on the brass and keeps them from tarnishing while stored for long time, also the film adds in full length sizing in carbide die.
    You just have to decide which will suit your type reloading and go from there. Media tumbling is low cost, batches based on size of tumbler. A Lyman turbo 600 cleans 175 pcs of .38 special brass.

Mike

I had one of the hornady USC wasnt worth the time tumbling seemed to get cleaner brass and was just easier. I could load a batch in the tumbler flip it on go do something else and come back in a half hour or so and it was done. The hornday didnt get things clean enough in one batch so I would wait around so I could run it again then there was the hassle of dealing with the water. My setup is in the garage with no hookups or drains so while not the end of the world it just was more trouble than it was worth to me.

I've tried it and wet tumbling sans pins (with citric acid). The latter is vastly superior.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 08-10-2017 at 07:42 AM.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Out of curiosity, what's the reason for depriming before tumbling? Is it to clean the flash hole or to make primer seating easier or something?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 08-10-2017 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myg30 View Post
    FPS, you must be using a large commercial type USC with heater, yes ? Must of us that use the Hornady or small type usc that only have 8 minute cycles find it ok but takes lots time, many 8 min cycles to clean small batches of brass. 25-50 pcs at a time.
    I do not have stainless steel pin tumbler but seems they do a really great job on deprimed brass. I tumble clean deprimed brass and it does the job for me. I set a timer for 2-4 hrs and brass is cleaned. The primer pockets are not 100% spotless but good enough for my type reloading. SS pin cleans pockets better and then you need to dry the brass.
    Tumble media cleaning with a cap of nu finish car polish leaves a thin film of polish on the brass and keeps them from tarnishing while stored for long time, also the film adds in full length sizing in carbide die.
    You just have to decide which will suit your type reloading and go from there. Media tumbling is low cost, batches based on size of tumbler. A Lyman turbo 600 cleans 175 pcs of .38 special brass.

Mike
    Lyman Turbo Sonic 6000. Just counted avg brass amount to make sure my guess was right. Well over 200 9mm brass. Wont get them nice and shiny but definitely clean enough to reload. I dont prime befire cleaning.

I will do several runs with the same solution, maybe 1000 cases in an evening. Drain solution, let the crap settle, then reuse solution again but throw out crap at the bottom. Again, i dont care if they are nice and shiny, just get the obvious junk off to reload again. Works great for me.
    Last edited by FPS; 08-10-2017 at 02:23 PM.

I've mostly used a tumbler, but given some of the discussions around lead exposure I've become more interested in wet tumbling and/or ultrasonic cleaning.
    One other advantage of the ultrasonic cleaner that hasn't been mentioned (and is only relevant to some) is that it is better suited to those that don't have
    access to a garage or other large (and well ventilated) work space.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

User Tag List