Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the Mossberg 590A1

Thanks everyone.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

We've been using the 590A1 for about three or four years now and they're raving pieces of shit. The humorously large ghost ring sights are impossible to use with any kind of accuracy past a few yards. We've had quite a few front sights fly off, as well as a few front sight bases where the soldering failed. Mine had to have the extractor and the lifter replaced as they were defective and the gun would routinely try to feed the shell down through the feed port, jamming it up bigger than the great outdoors. There are other problems, but I just don't feel like typing a novel. I'd never spend my own money on one and really wish I had my old issued Benelli back.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 08-09-2017 at 10:15 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

We're issued 500s, and I'm not a fan, compared to 870s. As pointed out above, the action on the Mossberg is NOTHING like the action on even a cheap 870 "express." We've had shooters bend the action bars on the range to the point where the whole shebang had to go back to our HQ armorers for replacement.

Way back in the 2008-09ish timeframe, I bought a then new-to-market 930. The problems with that gun were many and varied, including a front sight that was so far off center that you couldn't see the front sight post through the rear ghost ring at all. I got a replacement barrel from Mossberg after about three weeks of back and forth with their CS. With the new barrel installed, the shotgun wouldn't feed at all. Eventually the SG went back to Mossberg, on their dime. After a month had past with no contact, I asked for a status. Despite me having delivery confirmation from FEDEX, they stated they'd never received the shotgun. Another couple weeks of arguing with CS and they finally admitted it was their fault - and sent me a replacement. To my knowledge, the original shotgun has never been located. The replacement had straight sights, but still was a malfunctioning POS with all ammo I tried. Rather than go through the nightmare again, I sold it, at a steep loss, with full disclosure of the issues I was having. At that point I swore I'd never buy another Mossberg product again.

I used one and mine help 9 12 gauge rounds, stolidly made shotgun.

Site Supporter
    Mossberg has its share of quality control issues like other manufacturers. I had two new 590a1s malfunction out of the box, but Mossberg sent me replacement shell latches that solved the problem. I would choose one over today's 870. Consider getting the version without the high profile adjustible sights. The a1 version's metal safety is a worthwhile up grade, but I see little advantage with the metal trigger guard. The lighter 590 is a good alternative, and you could upgrade the safety yourself. The a1's heavier
    barrel is a Navy specification for protection against banging barrels on metal structures aboard ship.

Site Supporter
    Buying a used 870P is a perfectly viable option if you don't want a current production gun. There are some on Gunbroker right now for about $300. I'm struggling to resist buying another one.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    A very nice man, who will likely answer the phone, owns this business http://summitgunbroker.com
    He often has good deals on police trade ins at reasonable prices. Check here for a nice shotgun.

I loathe the shot gun.

That said, I've got a 590 with the full kit from Robar. Smooth, reliable... I like it.
    Ghost rings on mine are accurate (with Brenake slugs) to ~75 yards.

No choke, plastic trigger works fine...

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    A very nice man, who will likely answer the phone, owns this business http://summitgunbroker.com
    He often has good deals on police trade ins at reasonable prices. Check here for a nice shotgun.
    Mark is a good guy.

He'll be happy to sell you a used 870P that is mechanically sound for about $250. Just clean it up and then add a new mag spring. I have bought two from him with no issues.
    Last edited by SeriousStudent; 08-11-2017 at 06:45 PM.

Site Supporter
    Les, did the Robar treatment make the 590 noticeably smoother?

User Tag List