Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the Mossberg 590A1

Tell me about the Mossberg 590A1

I wanna hear the good, the bad and the ugly. I want a pump gun that has a lot of logistic support (stocks, etc.), but I'm not a fan of recent Remington production guns. So I'm interested in the 590A1 since it's available with options I like (chokes, ghost rings and MP stock availability). I have little experience w Mossy shotguns other than test firing them.

What don't I know that I need to know? I know the mossberg factory safety sucks and there's an aftermarket one available. What else?

Are they easy to take apart? I've had an 870 apart (and further than just taking barrel off) more times than I can count for reference.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

500s have plastic safeties but the 590a1 has a metal one, so it won't have the breakage issue. That being said, the Vang Comp safety is awesome.

They are easy to take apart, easy to clean. Nothing is welded to the receiver, unlike 870s, so it's all user serviceable. The factory mag springs are garbage, as are (most) factory followers. Definitely get an upgraded follower and spring. Offerings from Vang and S&J hardware are both great.

Because of the receiver design, Mossbergs with the same LOP and barrel length as 870s are a little over an inch shorter overall. The only issue I've really had with mine is the bolt lug cutout in the barrel had sharp edges, so long rounds would get hung up on it. Rounding it off slightly fixed it.

I put thousands of rounds through my 590 in hopes it would get as smooth as my 870 with far fewer rounds - it never did.

Aftermarket support is solid and it's tough to go wrong with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

So replace spring and follower. Check.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

The 590A1 also has a metal trigger group and a thick-walled barrel. Those things may or may not matter to you.

these parts have worked quite well on my 590a1s

https://sjhardware.us/product/mossbe...mag-extension/

http://shop.hahn-precision.com/Overs...ty-MOS0212.htm

be careful about losing the little BB detent when replacing the safety.
    getting the bolt and other parts in correct alignment during reassembly was a bit finicky the first few times, but is easy now.

The Army's TM 9-1005-338-13&P is a good reference for armorer level maintenance.

Have one in 18.5" and 20", both function 100% with all of the loads I've had. All metal parts, thick barrel, robust action, hard to beat for me. I dig the safety and action release button location for my use.

The 590A1 barrel adds a fair bit of weight to the front of the gun. Helps a small bit with recoil but makes reloading drills very tiring. Magpul SGA furniture is the tits so get that stuff.

Used an a1 on duty for years.

Works well if it's kept up with and while I did not do anything aftermarket to it, it has a lot of options available.

It held up through a lot of hard use and sitting in a patrol vehicle through various temp and conditions.

I'd recommend one.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Metal safety button (A1 should have one)
    Mag spring replacement- frequent with OEM, less so w/ premium aftermarket
    High-vis follower
    Remove, degrease, reinstall w/ loctite: GRS, sling swivel, ejector screw, stock screw
    Sometimes useful: Polish chamber, polish elevator
    Run a premium lubricant or CLP
    Last edited by ST911; 08-09-2017 at 08:16 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List