Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the Mossberg 590A1

Site Supporter
    I'm back to share a trick that I learned about the Mossberg 500 series that includes 590 and 590a1. When trying to smooth the Mossberg action, I discovered that swapping out the elevator or shell lifter was the key. Luckily I had a couple in my parts bin. On one occasion I accomplished my aim by changing elevators from one gun to the other. I got the idea by replacing the trigger bar in Glocks to achieve better trigger pulls.

I'm providing a link to a place in Missouri that specializes in Mossberg parts and service in addition to other gun stuff. If you call, the owner will talk with you to figure out what you need. Parts are cheaper than other places, and shipping is most reasonable. havlinsales

Lon,
    I took a brand new 590a1spx out of the box, checked it for basic function and safety, and ran it through a Defensive Shotgun class of about 120 rounds, and it ran without issue. Another option to a good used 870P would be an older/Pre-Cerberus 870 Wingmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by MontWyDaho View Post
    Lon,
    I took a brand new 590a1spx out of the box, checked it for basic function and safety, and ran it through a Defensive Shotgun class of about 120 rounds, and it ran without issue. Another option to a good used 870P would be an older/Pre-Cerberus 870 Wingmaster.
    I've been eyeballing one these...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Voodoo_Man,
    I installed a QR socket on the back side of the bayonet mount (it's a pre-threaded hole, I just had to find the right screw) and I epoxied a QR socket into the stock for my Vicker's sling... the 8 round tube is ample, and the factory ported barrel seems to help... I also cut off about 1.5 inches of the stock to reduce the OAL and improve handling.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/590...hot-spx-50771/
    Last edited by MontWyDaho; 08-26-2017 at 04:25 PM.

Voodoo_Man,
    I installed a QR socket on the back side of the bayonet mount (it's a pre-threaded hole, I just had to find the right screw) and I epoxied a QR socket into the stock for my Vicker's sling... the 8 round tube is ample, and the factory ported barrel seems to help... I also cut off about 1.5 inches of the stock to reduce the OAL and improve handling.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/590...hot-spx-50771/
    Nice idea.

This is the one I was eyeballing, the speedfeed stock is something I like.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/590a...-4stock-51771/
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Nice idea.

This is the one I was eyeballing, the speedfeed stock is something I like.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/590a...-4stock-51771/
    Shells in the stock, plus rail sections on the forend for a light... Nice.

Shells in the stock, plus rail sections on the forend for a light... Nice.
    just add light and micro rds and you've got an excellent trunk gun
    VDMSR.com

Those are a couple of the models I liked. Still undecided. Are there replacement front sight options for those? I really like the sights and rails for a RDS, which I'd have to add to an old 870P if I bought it. Decisions, decisions.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Those are a couple of the models I liked. Still undecided. Are there replacement front sight options for those? I really like the sights and rails for a RDS, which I'd have to add to an old 870P if I bought it. Decisions, decisions.
    6 to 8 round one piece mag tube on the 590a1.
    I haven't looked into front sight options for the 590a1...
    Last edited by MontWyDaho; 08-26-2017 at 08:40 PM.

OP mentions chokes, I have not found an OEM solution to use chokes on a 590a1. Because the barrel is thicker you can't swap in a 500 barrel, and there doesn't appear to be a 590a1 model which accepts chokes, so the only option appears to be gunsmithing. I've found a couple places that can do it but haven't gone through with it because Flite Control wads are like 20x more effective than chokes and the gun is intended for defensive use only.

I got a new 590a1 in the spring and have a little over 100 rounds through it. I replaced the spring and follower immediately, as well as putting Magpul furniture and a Mesa side saddle on it, and have had no issues. It's a great gun and I like it quite a bit more than my 870s, though admit the action on the 870s is smoother.

User Tag List