Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock discharges in Safariland duty holster

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    The extensive analysis of NDs across years at Front Sight found a pretty even distribution of pistol types represented in the mishaps; SFA guns, TDAs, 1911s etc. The contents of which are buried around here somewhere.

Welcome to town.
    Front Sight has their incident reports available on their webpage for anyone to read. The only fatality that I am aware of was an accident on their zip line course several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    If something gets into a holster, regardless of gun model, if you are not blocking the hammer or SCD it seems to me that the gun would go off regardless. I was simply stating that I found it crazy that it happened in a holster I consider really safe, now I am rethinking that, at-least the model for WML.
    Yep. I once had a LSP trooper shoot himself in the foot holstering a P226 that he failed to decock. Thumb snap on Safariland Model 200LS went inside the trigger guard and make the big noise.

We now have a sufficient body of knowledge around the absolute need for complete trigger guard coverage on holstered SFAs. Is it finally time, at long last, to amend Cooper's rules with a 5th entry, or is everyone going to get the memo?

That's the very Safariland holster that I've kept mounted on my bed frame, holding a Gen 3 G21 with a WML, for maybe 15 years!

There's no other junque in the way when I insert or withdraw the gun, and the gun is only removed occasionally, for range practice, cleaning & lubricating or using up old ammo, but it's still disconcerting to hear of an AD occurring with the very security holster one uses for a bedside gun.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    That's the very Safariland holster that I've kept mounted on my bed frame, holding a Gen 3 G21 with a WML, for maybe 15 years!

There's no other junque in the way when I insert or withdraw the gun, and the gun is only removed occasionally, for range practice, cleaning & lubricating or using up old ammo, but it's still disconcerting to hear of an AD occurring with the very security holster one uses for a bedside gun.
    The same danger exists with the Raven Vanguard 3 but I only use mine to sheathe the trigger while sitting out on top of the nightstand, so it's a non-issue.

Last edited by blues; 08-08-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Mine is mounted so that the gun is pointed straight down, and an AD with either drawing or holstering would result in a (harmless) shot into the floor, but nonetheless, any unintended firearm discharge is a real mishap.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    For all the problems with the XD, the grip safety would eliminate this issue. As would an engaged manual safety.

I stopped carrying WML holster because of this potential issue.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    It's a pretty big flaw in the ALS/SLS 6xxx series holsters. Safariland really tightened up the gap and raised the sides of the holster with the 7TS series.
    This should be emphasized.

I have both a 7TS and the legacy design. The 7TS has very little gap due to the holster body coming up higher.

Personally, I don't think this is a black and white issue. I'd buy the 7TS from here on out, and would suggest others do the same.....but if you're using it mounted to the bed or some other use, I think you're okay.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This should be emphasized.

I have both a 7TS and the legacy design. The 7TS has very little gap due to the holster body coming up higher.

Personally, I don't think this is a black and white issue. I'd buy the 7TS from here on out, and would suggest others do the same.....but if you're using it mounted to the bed or some other use, I think you're okay.
    With the 7TS can you still get a finger inside the holster?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    With the 7TS can you still get a finger inside the holster?
    If I attack it from a very specific angle, I can barely get my pinky to touch the back (and back only) of the trigger.

Comparatively, with the legacy holster, I can place my trigger finger on the front of the trigger.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List