Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock discharges in Safariland duty holster

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Glock discharges in Safariland duty holster

http://www.wthr.com/article/shooting...-holstered-gun

IMPD Det. Tom Lehn described the incident as a "very freak accident," and "something highly unusual in my 31 years in law enforcement."
    Lehn said as two IMPD officers stood up to leave - their seats very close together - the one officer's holster somehow became entangled with either keys or a radio antenna hanging from the other officer's equipment belt

He said when the one officer stood up, the keys or antenna got caught in the holster and pulled on the trigger, discharging the gun. The bullet struck the deputy sitting behind the officer in her knee.
    Safariland ALS, as shown:

And another vote against WMLs. The reason crap can get into that otherwise fully functional holster is because of the "tunnel" for the WML. With ANY pistol, but particularly SFAs, a completely enclosed trigger guard is a must.

This could also have been potentially mitigated by a Gadget, if the officer had the presence of mind to have a thumb on the back plate...

What a strange event. Something managed to get inside the holster and pull the trigger? Once again shows that crazy stuff can happen, especially with a holster like the ALS!
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 08-08-2017 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    And another vote against big WMLs.
    Slight edit

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    What a strange event. Something managed to get inside the holster and pull the trigger? Once again shows that crazy stuff can happen!
    Really? Would it have been a "strange event", or "crazy stuff", if it had happened to a S&W
    wheel gun, or a M9, or a 1911?

Seems this "crazy stuff" happens a disproportionately large amount of times, with glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Danoobie View Post
    Really? Would it have been a "strange event", or "crazy stuff", if it had happened to a S&W

Seems this "crazy stuff" happens a disproportionately large amount of times, with glocks.
    Literally meant that someone elses stuff got into a secured holster and pulled a trigger? Also found it odd that its a holster highly regarded around here. Go calm down lol.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 08-08-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Not sure if the incident can be blamed on Glock by virtue of its being a Glock. I'd also say that there are a disproportionately large amount of Glocks out there. So, perspective as well as critical examination of the incident is called for.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Not sure if the incident can be blamed on Glock by virtue of its being a Glock. I'd also say that there are a disproportionately large amount of Glocks out there. So, perspective as well as critical examination of the incident is called for.
    If something gets into a holster, regardless of gun model, if you are not blocking the hammer or SCD it seems to me that the gun would go off regardless. I was simply stating that I found it crazy that it happened in a holster I consider really safe, now I am rethinking that, at-least the model for WML.

The extensive analysis of NDs across years at Front Sight found a pretty even distribution of pistol types represented in the mishaps; SFA guns, TDAs, 1911s etc. The contents of which are buried around here somewhere.

Welcome to town.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Well, I think we should all just GUB the QDR.

User Tag List