Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rain gear for pistol class

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Wide brim hat or jacket with suitable hood. Waterproof boots. Mag loader. Cleaning gear and clp to wipe down your pistol at night, plus re lube.

I took a Vogel class in the pouring rain. My G19 is covered in grip tape so I had no issues there. Some of the guys who were accustomed to the liquid grip/chalk products seemed to struggle. G19 was pretty dry on the inside after the first day. Sights were covered in rust by the time I got to the hotel room.
    I was wondering about the wetness on the grip being a factor. I have the rubber talon grips but might add some of the more harsh grip tape and maybe some on the slide. Thanks

"Breathable" rain gear can be had that will keep you dry from precipitation, but if the temperature and humidity are high, and the course involves a lot of movement, even the best breathable rain gear can't pump out all the sweat you'll generate. Some features you'll want are waist-high pants (bib pants keep you drier, but make accessing handguns almost impossible), elastic at the cuffs (preferably with snap adjustment as well) and waist, and a jacket with a storm flap over zipper and a hood.

The elasticized, waist-high pants allow you to (usually) tuck them under an OWB holster and mag pouch and not interfere with drawing. Cuffs with elastic/snaps keep your pant legs from tripping you. If your jacket has a two way zipper, you can try unzipping the bottom to facilitate drawing. An inexpensive brand that works pretty well is "frogg toggs" which you can find at a lot of sporting good and mail order stores. Some versions are as cheap as around $25 for the jacket and pants. It's not something you'd expect to last a lifetime, but it's a heckuva lot better than the dime store vinyl stuff. I keep a set in the car for "flat tire in the rain" situations, or for gun classes.

The recommendation for "dry" shoes is great, along with poly socks (cotton is, of course, awful when wet). Same for clothing. A fishing or outdoor shop (Cabela's, Bass Pro, any hiking/camping store, etc.) will have lightweight synthetic shirts, pants and underwear made to keep you cool and dry quickly - - - works great for shooting in the rain. Some brands have Brooks Brothers prices, so shop around.

I'd take some hand towels too; poly ones if you can find them cheap. Take several, keep them in the larger zip locks so they'll stay dry longer. You'll use them to dry (a relative term, depending upon the rain) gun grips, hands, glasses, etc. If you take a roll of paper towels, I'd split it among several zip locks as well, again to keep some dry for "later on".

The rite in the rain pad suggestion was good. If you can find a write-in-the-rain pen to match (the Fisher space pen is one), you'll be ahead of the game.

Oh, even with rain gear and all, you might leave your wallet in the car . . . experience.

Site Supporter
    I've had good results with the Frogg Toggs brand waterproof gear. I get the ultra light pant/ jacket combo because it packs down small enough to keep on my motorcycle all the time. I've had to use them at least once a week since May and they're still keeping me dry, even at 75 mph. Their packing-size, weight and price make them the best value waterproof gear I've used. Yeah, you'll swear if it's hot and raining, but I found that to be true of all waterproof gear.

I picked mine up at Academy, but Amazon and most outdoor stores carry them too.

Eta: looks like Flyrdr was posting at the same time I was.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 08-07-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    "Breathable" rain gear can be had that will keep you dry from precipitation, but if the temperature and humidity are high, and the course involves a lot of movement, even the best breathable rain gear can't pump out all the sweat you'll generate. Some features you'll want are waist-high pants (bib pants keep you drier, but make accessing handguns almost impossible), elastic at the cuffs (preferably with snap adjustment as well) and waist, and a jacket with a storm flap over zipper and a hood.

The elasticized, waist-high pants allow you to (usually) tuck them under an OWB holster and mag pouch and not interfere with drawing. Cuffs with elastic/snaps keep your pant legs from tripping you. If your jacket has a two way zipper, you can try unzipping the bottom to facilitate drawing. An inexpensive brand that works pretty well is "frogg toggs" which you can find at a lot of sporting good and mail order stores. Some versions are as cheap as around $25 for the jacket and pants. It's not something you'd expect to last a lifetime, but it's a heckuva lot better than the dime store vinyl stuff. I keep a set in the car for "flat tire in the rain" situations, or for gun classes.

The recommendation for "dry" shoes is great, along with poly socks (cotton is, of course, awful when wet). Same for clothing. A fishing or outdoor shop (Cabela's, Bass Pro, any hiking/camping store, etc.) will have lightweight synthetic shirts, pants and underwear made to keep you cool and dry quickly - - - works great for shooting in the rain. Some brands have Brooks Brothers prices, so shop around.

I'd take some hand towels too; poly ones if you can find them cheap. Take several, keep them in the larger zip locks so they'll stay dry longer. You'll use them to dry (a relative term, depending upon the rain) gun grips, hands, glasses, etc. If you take a roll of paper towels, I'd split it among several zip locks as well, again to keep some dry for "later on".

The rite in the rain pad suggestion was good. If you can find a write-in-the-rain pen to match (the Fisher space pen is one), you'll be ahead of the game.

Oh, even with rain gear and all, you might leave your wallet in the car . . . experience.
    Excellent info, thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I've had good results with the Frogg Toggs brand waterproof gear. I get the ultra light pant/ jacket combo because it packs down small enough to keep on my motorcycle all the time. I've had to use them at least once a week since May and they're still keeping me dry, even at 75 mph. Their packing-size, weight and price make them the best value waterproof gear I've used. Yeah, you'll swear if it's hot and raining, but I found that to be true of all waterproof gear.

I picked mine up at Academy, but Amazon and most outdoor stores carry them too.

Eta: looks like Flyrdr was posting at the same time I was.
    After two recommendations I just ordered the frog togg set. I think it's great to have in the car bag also. Thanks guys

Site Supporter
    Never took a class in them yet but the last year I've been wearing Muck Boots for winter and rain and I love them.

A quick thought on the hat. With a hooded rain jacket (not to mention ear muffs), you'll want a baseball-type cap. I'd look around at those too. Avoid the all-cotton ones; once they're wet, they're wet forever. Look for a lightweight synthetic, including a "terrycloth" synthetic sweatband; those are great. Get the longest, widest bill you can find, that doesn't interfere with your vision; it'll keep your glasses drier longer. And be cooler with the hood up.

(Yeah, I spend a lot of time fly fishing in the rain, some in the tropics, some in the cold. You figure out how to dress to be as comfortable as you can.)

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    A quick thought on the hat. With a hooded rain jacket (not to mention ear muffs), you'll want a baseball-type cap. I'd look around at those too. Avoid the all-cotton ones; once they're wet, they're wet forever. Look for a lightweight synthetic, including a "terrycloth" synthetic sweatband; those are great. Get the longest, widest bill you can find, that doesn't interfere with your vision; it'll keep your glasses drier longer. And be cooler with the hood up.

(Yeah, I spend a lot of time fly fishing in the rain, some in the tropics, some in the cold. You figure out how to dress to be as comfortable as you can.)
    HeadSweats makes a good lightweight ball style cap which dries fast. It's my go-to during the summer.

I see you've ordered the Frog Toggs...good call!

You'll need something to keep your eye pro clean. Get a plastic bag with t-shirt scraps to wipe them clean. Hats help keep water off your face, but depending on how wet your pistol gets the slide reciprocating will throw water in your face.

I may have glazed over it, but you didn't state how many days your class was and if you're traveling? If you're traveling, bring a cleaning kit to wipe down the gun and make sure anything that's black oxide gets oiled. I've had sights rust overnight (and an M&P....) due to no maintenance after constant weather exposure.

Multi-day classes you need to find ways to protect your feet and hands. You're feet will get more damage than your hands. I don't have a good way to help that(I have caveman feet, per my wife) but have seen issues with friends to let their feet soak in boots. I wouldn't wear gloves, but I never wear gloves. I would try to find a way to have a dry pocket or a dry pouch that you can dry them off between evolutions though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I now you are talking about personal attire, but clear plastic trash bags for the targets can be helpful in the rain.
    Going to a local dry cleaners, and offering the hourly Joe or Joette some cash for a dozen or so clear dry cleaning clothes covers will work wonders.

I gave the kid behind the counter a $10 bill, and he was very happy to give me a dozen or so of those clear long bags Tom was talking about.

User Tag List