Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rain gear for pistol class

Rain gear for pistol class

So far I haven't experienced an outdoors foul weather training course, but an upcoming class this week might change that according to the forecast. What are some necessities in case it rains? It will still be warm, around mid 70's. It's also a pistol class which means access to the pistol is where I'm lost. A rain jacket is obvious but I don't typically use a cover garment in this type of class. Should I tuck a rain jacket in? Are gloves useful even if it's still warm out?

Thanks all

I recently shot a Level II USPSA match in the rain. Glad I had waterproof shoes. Bring plenty of mags and something to clean them with...I had a few muddy ones I would not have wanted to use again without cleaning. (Granted in a class you'll be less likely to drop mags on the ground, but you never know.) Is there any overhead cover available at the range? If not, an E-Z Up could provide some. There were some carts at the match with sizable umbrellas fastened to them for keeping gear dry.

I'm curious if there's any rain gear out there that's actually breathable enough to be comfortable in warm weather. I wore a lightweight Cabelas brand Dry-Plus rain jacket that was supposedly breathable but I'm not entirely convinced I ended up drier given how much I was sweating. Maybe real Gore-Tex or other high-end stuff is better? Unless the rain is really blowing you may be fine leaving the jacket unzipped when on the line which could make it easier to access things on your belt. Dry fire in advance will help work through the issues. Be very aware of how unfamiliar gear may interact with your holster -- cut off or secure any adjustment cords that might find their way into the trigger guard, etc.

What rig are you drawing from? There are obvious benefits to working from your everyday gear.

Breathable rain gear is a misnomer in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    ...I wore a lightweight Cabelas brand Dry-Plus rain jacket that was supposedly breathable but I'm not entirely convinced I ended up drier given how much I was sweating. Maybe real Gore-Tex or other high-end stuff is better? ...
    In my experience if it's truly waterproof it doesn't breathe well or at all. Doesn't matter which wunderfabrik or DWR coating. I've spent up to $350 on single items to find there are compromises in all of them. Rivers West is the quietest I have (no swishy sounds) but it retains some moisture after single use and takes a LONG time to dry out. Meanwhile it will start to smell funky if you don't dry it in a timely manner.

GORE-TEX is fine in light rain but still soaks through in prolonged, steady downpour. You still sweat in warm temps or it chills you in prolonged wet, cold.

My everyday is HH Impertech top/bottom, at least the jacket can come with a hood and vented back. At work I use HH offshore bib and jacket.

303 spray coating works great on stuff that's lost it's DWR coating, especially decent fabrics like Carhartt jacket or Seattle Sombrero. Reminds me, I need to try it on a Mtn HW thin shell I have.

[QUOTE=EricM;634063]I recently shot a Level II USPSA match in the rain. Glad I had waterproof shoes. Bring plenty of mags and something to clean them with...I had a few muddy ones I would not have wanted to use again without cleaning. (Granted in a class you'll be less likely to drop mags on the ground, but you never know.) Is there any overhead cover available at the range? If not, an E-Z Up could provide some. There were some carts at the match with sizable umbrellas fastened to them for keeping gear dry

Good advice for the mags, we do drop in the sand at this range. There is a couple of ez ups too to reload mags under. Thank you
    Last edited by TheBigCountry; 08-07-2017 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Sp

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    What rig are you drawing from? There are obvious benefits to working from your everyday gear.

Breathable rain gear is a misnomer in my experience.
    Unfortunately I can't ccw in my state. I use a pistol for home defense though. I do carry during some of the training classes concealed in hopes that one day I will be able to carry regularly. I generally carry appendix whether concealed or not when training, and I'm using a unity tactical clutch belt.

I agree about the breathable rain gear and getting too hot is something to be juggled with staying dry I guess.

Pat Mac class I took a few years ago was raining all day on the first day. A rain jacket is mandatory. Unfortunately I only brought shorts and vibrams so I was cold with wet feet. Always bring pants and waterproof shoes/boots. Rite-in-rain is also recommended. I just left my notebook under the cover and wrote when under it. My notes were later largely ruined after getting wet in my training back when a gallon of water broke on it years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Pat Mac class I took a few years ago was raining all day on the first day. A rain jacket is mandatory. Unfortunately I only brought shorts and vibrams so I was cold with wet feet. Always bring pants and waterproof shoes/boots. Rite-in-rain is also recommended. I just left my notebook under the cover and wrote when under it. My notes were later largely ruined after getting wet in my training back when a gallon of water broke on it years later.
    Just looked up rite in rain, new to me so thanks for the suggestion! ��

Wide brim hat or jacket with suitable hood. Waterproof boots. Mag loader. Cleaning gear and clp to wipe down your pistol at night, plus re lube.

I took a Vogel class in the pouring rain. My G19 is covered in grip tape so I had no issues there. Some of the guys who were accustomed to the liquid grip/chalk products seemed to struggle. G19 was pretty dry on the inside after the first day. Sights were covered in rust by the time I got to the hotel room.

Marine foul weather gear is, I think, underappreciated. It comes in various weights; something "lightweight" might fit your needs. Many providers are googleable, but I've bought things (back in my live-aboard days) from WestMarine as was satisfied.

http://tinyurl.com/y8ojkfub

User Tag List