Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Considering a Fight-Worthy Shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I find slugs much less likely to over-penetrate than rifles (not counting all .223 rounds, but indeed some of them, especially the barrier blind offerings, to include TBBC, Gold Dot, M855A1, and MK318, as well as Browntip/TSX/GMX)
    Bit of a necrobump here, but would you mind elaborating and/or linking me to some solid info on this? Appreciate it mucho

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Bit of a necrobump here, but would you mind elaborating and/or linking me to some solid info on this? Appreciate it mucho
    Sure, just go to LEVISTA. they have gel tests to back my statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Sure, just go to LEVISTA. they have gel tests to back my statements.
    That was really interesting and informative, thabks for sharing. Plenty of rifle and handgun gel tests out there but the shotgun stuff seems harder to come by. Interesting that the slugs seem to be pretty comparable to the 308 defense ammo in respect to penetration. I always figured a 1 ounce slug at 9mm speeds or faster would penetrate much more. Was also surprised that the buckshot seems to out penetrate the slugs. I always figured little round lead balls would lose their speed very quickly upon meeting resistance and therefore penetrate quite a bit less, at least compared to slugs and rifle rounds. Very interesting, though I wish there were more slug loads in their tests. Was also pretty impressed at how consistent the 75gr Gold Dot 223 across all types of barriers. I use 75gr TAP in my SBR, I gotta look up how that compares to the gold dot (although I doubt they did those tests with an SBR AR15).

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I can do it pretty rapidly with either an 870 or Mossberg 500/590, have never tried with an 1187...
    Unless someone can describe a better way, the easiest most fumble-free method I have found with the 1187 is to keep the magazine downloaded by one round. When a switch is needed, load the needed round into the mag and briskly hand cycle the action. The trick is racking the bolt hard and fast, both backward and forward. As long as I do that, the new round gets chambered without hiccups.

The ability to lock back the bolt without pulling a round from the magazine would be high on my wanted feature list for a new SG.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Unless someone can describe a better way, the easiest most fumble-free method I have found with the 1187 is to keep the magazine downloaded by one round. When a switch is needed, load the needed round into the mag and briskly hand cycle the action. The trick is racking the bolt hard and fast, both backward and forward. As long as I do that, the new round gets chambered without hiccups.

The ability to lock back the bolt without pulling a round from the magazine would be high on my wanted feature list for a new SG.
    For slug changeovers, nothing beats the Benelli user interface. Get an M2 or an M4 depending on budget, and go to town.

The gun acts differently depending on whether it is cocked or not. If it's cocked, you can run the bolt all day long and it will not feed from the magazine tube unless you push the little red button (the cartridge drop lever) in order to make it do so. This means you can just drag the bolt back, drop a slug into the ejection port, and release it forward. The bolt does not lock when operated this way, but it's faster when it doesn't lock back anyway.

If I can butt in for a sec here, since the "pro tips" seem to be collecting in this thread, is there anything that a newly left-handed long gun shooter needs to consider in selecting a "fight-worthy shotgun?"

I’ve already heard back from TCinVA on the 1301, and am leaning that direction, but upfront: best social shotty for left side shooting?

Thanks in advance, folks.

User Tag List