Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Considering a Fight-Worthy Shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My S1 arrived and I hope to mount it later.
    particularly interested in how you will determine where along the rib is the optimal mounting location for you

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Biggest thing for me that I have advocated for in the past....if you low mount a red dot on the barrel, it leaves the receiver clean for access to the ejection port for loading. It also lets the sight be totally sighted to the actual barrel, which is often removed and reinstalled for cleaning.

I am not married to this yet, but I am very excited to at least start testing the system with an open mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Permethrin View Post
    particularly interested in how you will determine where along the rib is the optimal mounting location for you
    This is my question as well.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 08-16-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I mounted the S1 as far back as possible, while still ahead of the receiver.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

A few minor points in favor of the pump gun:

A wood-furnished pump action shotgun will be much less politically charged than a black scary semi-auto that will inevitably become "an automatic assault weapon" when in the hands of an ambitious public prosecutor after a home defense use. I think many potential jurors may have had a father or grandfather with such a gun over the mantle or behind a door and may not view it as quickly as an "assault weapon."

If used for travel which I believe was in the OP, a pump action shotgun should be legal in all 50 states whereas certain semi-autos may not be.

Assuming either gun will be kept with a full magazine tube and an empty chamber, the pump gun may be easier to get into action under stress, as it requires less fine motor skills to work with the fore end than it does to work with a charging handle and/or the bolt release which are both typically smaller.

If another member of the family or a house guest needs to use the shotgun, it is more likely they will be able to operate the pump gun than the semi-auto. If they've ever fired a shotgun it is likely it was a pump gun, and if they haven't, they might have the knowledge required to use one ingrained in their minds from Hollywood, in which a pump gun is always racked at every lull in the action.

In the vein of this thread, I understand there is much love for an Aimpoint on a shotgun to be used for defensive purposes. I use a PRO on my duty M4, and want to add one to my duty 870. Examining the costs of the micro series to the PRO series, it's a saving of nearly $300 to stick with the PRO.

Is there some advantage to the micro series other than a more compact size?
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post

A wood-furnished pump action shotgun will be much less politically charged than a black scary semi-auto that will inevitably become "an automatic assault weapon" when in the hands of an ambitious public prosecutor after a home defense use. I think many potential jurors may have had a father or grandfather with such a gun over the mantle or behind a door and may not view it as quickly as an "assault weapon."

If used for travel which I believe was in the OP, a pump action shotgun should be legal in all 50 states whereas certain semi-autos may not be.

Assuming either gun will be kept with a full magazine tube and an empty chamber, the pump gun may be easier to get into action under stress, as it requires less fine motor skills to work with the fore end than it does to work with a charging handle and/or the bolt release which are both typically smaller.

If another member of the family or a house guest needs to use the shotgun, it is more likely they will be able to operate the pump gun than the semi-auto. If they've ever fired a shotgun it is likely it was a pump gun, and if they haven't, they might have the knowledge required to use one ingrained in their minds from Hollywood, in which a pump gun is always racked at every lull in the action.
    If you are traveling in a state like NJ that requires a firearms purchaser ID card for transporting a gun beyond strictly limited circumstances, there is a good likelihood that you have not obtained the needed card, and having the pump shotgun would still be illegal.

I have concealed handgun licenses from PA and FL, enabling me to legally carry a concealed handgun in 34 states. In at least some states where that isn't an option, a pump shotgun does not solve the legality problem.

I have to say that I disagree with ScotchMan's views on the benefits of a pump gun.

Err... "Yank back on that big ol' lever poking out the side of the gun" is just about as "less fine motor skill" as possible.

Name:  IMG_20170818_224240504_HDR.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  20.7 KB

I'd imagine the most common shotgun a non-shooter might have handled at some point in their life is a break-open over/under doublebarreled gun, not a pump gun. At least over here one- and two-barreled hunting shotguns are vastly more common than higher capacity repeating weapons.

And if someone is relying on Hollyweird to teach them how to run a gun, they are pretty much screwed, as I don't recall many movies dealing with unlocking the action, manipulating the safety, etc. Give a new shooter a pump gun and put them under some time pressure - chances are they won't cycle the gun properly. If giving an inexperienced shooter a shotgun, a semi-automatic seems easier to train. "To charge the gun, pull back on that lever and let go. Hold the gun against your shoulder. The safety is here, the trigger is there, keep pulling it until the bad thing goes away."

I watched several colleagues try to pump the action of a Mossberg a few nights ago, to check the chamber, and start clearing the weapon. None could find the action release, because they had been trained/familiarized with the 870 in the academy. So, I am not sure that a pump gun is going to necessarily be usable by folks trained only by Hollywood. (I cleared the Mossberg, as well as the AR15.)

I have seen colleagues short-stroke pump guns, since the Eighties, some of them repearedly during the same training day. Many were bigger and stronger than me, and I wondered how they could flub a seemingly simple activity, as I had never short-stroked my Ithaca 37 DS, my S&W 3000, or my several 870 guns, until I did, finally, after thirty years, or so, of pump-gunning, short-stroke an 870. Then, it happened again, on occasion. I developed a crisis of confidence. So, I am no longer so sure about the reliability of pump guns, because of the human factor.

I seemingly cured myself, by diligent dry-firing, and installing a shorter (Magpul SGA) stock, but the shorter stock messed with my accuracy, as the weapon no longer pointed as "naturally" for me. The ultimate cure, for me, is the Benelli M2 I bought late last year, or very early 2017, in time to train-up for the Stupid Bowl in early February. I had prior Benelli experience, with an HK-era M1 Super 90, which operated fine, but the thin-combed plastic stocks of that era were brutal, so I reverted to pump guns. Today's Comfortech stocks are wonderfully different, and I wish I had switched back to Benelli much sooner. As for usability by the untrained, it seems to me that pulling back, and releasing, an operating handle is something easy enough to learn by example, and if my fingers/hand are too injured or otherwise disabled to do it, I can use a boot sole, or any number of alternate/improvised means to accomplish the task.

Respectfully submitted, in a gentle "tone." My Benelli M2 is a way, not the way.
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-19-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I have seen colleagues short-stroke pump guns, since the Eighties, some of them repearedly during the same training day. Many were bigger and stronger than me, and I wondered how they could flub a seemingly simple activity, as I had never short-stroked my Ithaca 37 DS, my S&W 3000, or my several 870 guns, until I did, finally, after thirty years, or so, of pump-gunning, short-stroke an 870. Then, it happened again, on occasion. I developed a crisis of confidence. So, I am no longer so sure about the reliability of pump guns, because of the human factor.
    Short-stroking a pump gun is very easy to do under time pressure. What I think happens is the shooter sees the empty shell ejecting from the gun and takes this as their que to slam that front stock forward.

I believe it is also quite possible to learn not to short-stroke the gun. I find Bill Drills work wonders. So, I wouldn't go so far as to claim pump guns unreliable - provided the user is willing to put in the work to become, and to remain, proficient in running the gun. But it does take some work.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    Short-stroking a pump gun is very easy to do under time pressure. What I think happens is the shooter sees the empty shell ejecting from the gun and takes this as their que to slam that front stock forward.

I believe it is also quite possible to learn not to short-stroke the gun. I find Bill Drills work wonders. So, I wouldn't go so far as to claim pump guns unreliable - provided the user is willing to put in the work to become, and to remain, proficient in running the gun. But it does take some work.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    I am not disagreeing with you. My point was that untrained or improperly-trained folks can, indeed, be ill-served by a pump gun. The gun, itself, is reliable; the human operator lets the gun down.

In my case, the "improper" part started manifesting itself after about three decades of doing it right, though to be clear, my trigger time had decreased significantly as available real estate for unstructured shooting became less and less available.

User Tag List