Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering a Fight-Worthy Shotgun

Well, perhaps if I promise to bring breakfast tacos and coffee, he'll let me peer through one.

FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Well, perhaps if I promise to bring breakfast tacos and coffee, wash the Raptor, clean his shotguns each night, and ooh and ahh over his Beretta pistols, maybe he'll let me peer through one.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That smells like work.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Small point, but I see the select slug capability as more interesting in lower 48, where you may be loaded with buck and want to select a slug. Up here, I run all slugs.
    In the mid-90's HK owned Benelli and they loved select slug drills in their shotgun classes because it showed one advantage of an M1 over a pump. They ran the drill long enough that IMO it turned into a shot show of flinging out buck, grabbing slugs, trying to top up the shotgun, etc. I don't know anyone who had to do it in real life, but DB might. My point being that the ability to select slug easily would be down at the bottom of my shotgun priority list.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Excellent. When I start my Shotgun 2.0 project, incorporating a red dot sight will be on the list of things to explore.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

What is the school solution on shotguns for eyes that are not red-dot friendly?
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by 1911nerd View Post
    What is the school solution on shotguns for eyes that are not red-dot friendly?
    Not red dot friendly in the carbine envelope out to 300 yards, or the shotgun envelope of most 0-25, with occasional forays further? Even with my contacts and glasses off, I see a 200 or so MOA dot, which while not aesthetic is quite usable on handgun/shotgun.

Open sights, a FO front bead, or ghost ring, depending on which work better for you, are the proven shotgun sighting systems.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Not red dot friendly in the carbine envelope out to 300 yards, or the shotgun envelope of most 0-25, with occasional forays further? Even with my contacts and glasses off, I see a 200 or so MOA dot, which while not aesthetic is quite usable on handgun/shotgun.

Open sights, a FO front bead, or ghost ring, depending on which work better for you, are the proven shotgun sighting systems.
    Sorry, should have been clearer: astigmatism so that the red dot blooms. In some sense the shotgun equivalent of the LPV on a rifle, I guess.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

I know this has been addressed here and there in past threads, mostly by DB, but what is the predominant thought here regarding slings on shotguns? I don't see the utility for HD or hunting, but I know some instructors require slings.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I know this has been addressed here and there in past threads, mostly by DB, but what is the predominant thought here regarding slings on shotguns? I don't see the utility for HD or hunting, but I know some instructors require slings.
    I don't know if I'm in the minority or not but personally, I prefer a sling on my 870 for HD. I like the option of transitioning to a sidearm or just not having to put the weapon on the ground if I need to occupy my hands with another task. That said, I can also think of reasons why they may be a liability in HD scenarios so I think it will come down to personal preference and justifications.

Not sure if there is a single best answer for this one.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List