Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering a Fight-Worthy Shotgun

Considering a Fight-Worthy Shotgun

I'm thinking about adding a shotgun to the armory at the end of this year, and looking for sage wisdom.

I have experience with side by side and single shots, but not any significant pump action time.

Is there any reason to choose a pump over a 1301 or Benelli, besides the cost?

My thought is not really. I probably won't train enough with the pump to keep up the skill to the point where my failure rate pumping is less than the failure rate of a good semi.

The mission would be home defense, a travel long gun, and making lots of noise with badass holes at the range.

I'd really like to hear DB and GJMs thoughts, but any tidbits from those with experience on both styles would be highly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    I'm thinking about adding a shotgun to the armory at the end of this year, and looking for sage wisdom.

I have experience with side by side and single shots, but not any significant pump action time.

Is there any reason to choose a pump over a 1301 or Benelli, besides the cost?

My thought is not really. I probably won't train enough with the pump to keep up the skill to the point where my failure rate pumping is less than the failure rate of a good semi.

The mission would be home defense, a travel long gun, and making lots of noise with badass holes at the range.

I'd really like to hear DB and GJMs thoughts, but any tidbits from those with experience on both styles would be highly appreciated.

I'm a long time pump guy, but I had the benefit of both long use and training with a pump.

If I was starting with zero shotguns, and zero experience/training them, I'd buy either a 1301 or a Benelli. It's on my list of 'round to its when I get the time to devote to making the transition. I've got some experience running an 1181, and I can't deny there are definite advantages.

The only disadvantage you didn't mention is the ability to run lower power ammo in some semis is compromised. I think the benefits offset that.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

If you already hunt with an 870, or want to continue to devote a significant proportion of your training focus on the pump, an 870 is great. Inexpensive, lots of mods, handles the widest range of loads, and very reliable. If you want essentially an AR that launches buck and slugs, go semi-auto. My list goes M2, then 1301, then Benelli M4, but that is based on my particular desires, such as a 14 inch barrel, and lightweight for carrying in the field.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you already hunt with an 870, or want to continue to devote a significant proportion of your training focus on the pump, an 870 is great. Inexpensive, lots of mods, handles the widest range of loads, and very reliable. If you want essentially an AR that launches buck and slugs, go semi-auto. My list goes M2, then 1301, then Benelli M4, but that is based on my particular desires, such as a 14 inch barrel, and lightweight for carrying in the field.
    SBS would likely be in my future down the road.

As to any hunting, I am fine with my grandfather's guns for that. I'm considering entirely for defensive and fun-shooting purposes.

Considering that I don't intend to lug it about the breathtaking wilds of Alaska, how much better is an M2 than the 1301? Since this will be a planned purchase I will have time to watch for used M2s if there is any value in that.

Aside from adding Tom's shroud, the 1301T seems to have most of what I want covered including a spot for a dot. Does it run fine with a +1 or 2 tube?

SBS would likely be in my future down the road.

As to any hunting, I am fine with my grandfather's guns for that. I'm considering entirely for defensive and fun-shooting purposes.

Considering that I don't intend to lug it about the breathtaking wilds of Alaska, how much better is an M2 than the 1301? Since this will be a planned purchase I will have time to watch for used M2s if there is any value in that.

Aside from adding Tom's shroud, the 1301T seems to have most of what I want covered including a spot for a dot. Does it run fine with a +1 or 2 tube?
    If you want a short barrel, then go Benelli, as currently there is no short barrel for the 1301. Recently I posted this is the 1301 thread:

While I like the 1301, for a number of reasons the M2 works better for me. These reasons include:

1) availability of 14 inch barrels

2) ability to drill the fore end and add sling and light mounts

3) easier select slug operation, as I can chuck the round right in with the M2, as opposed to move the lifter out of the way

4) the Comfortech stock, with adjustable LOP Limbsaver pads

5) the four screw, Scalarworks mount for the Aimpoint micro

6) more support from OEM and after market stocks and barrels, and non-OEM accessories

I see a lot more reliability issues, user induced and other, with pumps of all types than I do with good semis, ie M2's or 1301's. I would buy one of those and rock on happy.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Yeah... I was pretty sure my brain was right, but I like to check with the more experienced when I don't have a lot of confirming knowledge.

I may hold out to see how that Aridus Magpul to 1301 adapter progresses. I could give up or postpone my dreams of SBS if I can get a good adjustable LoP stock for the 1301.

I like the idea of swift loading slugs, but not being in bear country, it isn't a real factor for me.

Yeah... I was pretty sure my brain was right, but I like to check with the more experienced when I don't have a lot of confirming knowledge.

I may hold out to see how that Aridus Magpul to 1301 adapter progresses. I could give up or postpone my dreams of SBS if I can get a good adjustable LoP stock for the 1301.

I like the idea of swift loading slugs, but not being in bear country, it isn't a real factor for me.

Small point, but I see the select slug capability as more interesting in lower 48, where you may be loaded with buck and want to select a slug. Up here, I run all slugs.

Small point, but I see the select slug capability as more interesting in lower 48, where you may be loaded with buck and want to select a slug. Up here, I run all slugs.
    Would you elaborate for the less-experienced? I'd like to know more!

I'd have to agree with GJM on that one. If I was in Alaska, it would be all slugs all the time. In the lower 48, it depends.

When I lived in a suburban townhouse, I didn't put much emphasis on select slugs. Now that we are out on acreage, I do. In fact, during our little incident where my wife encountered an asshole lurking in the garage, I performed a select slug drill as he backed his way down our driveway. Some prior work with a range finder had informed me exactly where he went from the B-zone into the C-zone.

In your process of shotgun selection, I'd encourage you to consider whether switching ammo types on the fly is important to you. If you live in dense, urban/suburban quarters, it likely isn't. If it is important, I'd give some thought to how the choice of platforms affects the ability to do that, as each action has its own quirks. I can do it pretty rapidly with either an 870 or Mossberg 500/590, have never tried with an 1187, and know that it takes 3 hands with a Mossberg Jungle Gun.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List