Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Gun

The 25's are my favorite revolvers. Big round without the blasty-ness of the magnums. I've got a -5 and a -7 and have been looking hard for a Mountain gun but they seem to be unicorns.

Site Supporter
    Nice Roscoe

Quote Originally Posted by ydennekb View Post
    The 25's are my favorite revolvers. Big round without the blasty-ness of the magnums. I've got a -5 and a -7 and have been looking hard for a Mountain gun but they seem to be unicorns.
    I had a 4" .45LC Model 25 that had been hard chromed, and it was, without a doubt, the most mechanically accurate handgun I've ever owned, and plenty fun to shoot even with "warmish" handloads. Like the idiot I am, I sold it off to fund a 625 Mountain Gun because it HAD TO be better - and of course, it wasn't :-(

See, I passed up a Mountain gun for a 5" -7, which is a great gun but now I wish I'd gotten the MG.

So you don't like the MG better than a standard 4"?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I had a 4" .45LC Model 25 that had been hard chromed, and it was, without a doubt, the most mechanically accurate handgun I've ever owned, and plenty fun to shoot even with "warmish" handloads. Like the idiot I am, I sold it off to fund a 625 Mountain Gun because it HAD TO be better - and of course, it wasn't :-(

I did not. Trigger was nowhere near as nice, accuracy was not as tight, and the lighter barrel meant more recoil on the range. I can see the appeal for a "carried a lot, shot a little" revolver, but it definitely wasn't anywhere near as nice on the firing line...

Of course, this was back when the MGs were brand new, so maybe I just got a "built on Friday afternoon" one...

I have the 57 mountain gun in 41 mag. Absolutely enjoy the hell out of it. The tapered barrel profile really seems to help with the balance. Probably the last revolver I would trade or sell.

Congrats on owning a couple of Mountain Guns. I have a stainless Mountain Gun in 45 Colt. Used to have one in 44 Mag but traded it off (like an idiot). After I realized the error of my ways, I vowed never to sell another revolver again, unless absolutely necessary.
    Last edited by SamAdams; 08-12-2017 at 04:17 PM.

I still rue the day I sold my 5" 25-5.

I instantly learned, with a 629 Mountain Revolver, that the light-contour barrel meant a very unpleasant shooting experience. A standard 629 was bad enough; a Mountain Revolver, well, ouch. Several years later, having forgotten, I tried a 629 Mountain Gun. Yep, still a bad idea, at least for me.

My favored light-weight N-Frame? My Model 58, .41 Magnum, weighing notably less than a standard Model 57, due to a slimmer top strap, no top rib or sight ramp on the barrel, and no ejector-rod shroud, but with mass in the untapered barrel, unlike a Mountain Revolver/Gun. This was my duty/personal-time carry sixgun from 1985 to about 1990, and remained an occasional personal-time carry gun for somewhat longer, until I retired it due to its having been "shot loose." (Some day, I may have a talented 'smith re-time and tighten it a bit.)

None of these big-bore N-Frames did my right thumb and wrist any favors, so it is just as well that I tend to be a lefty with Glocks, and functionally ambidextrous with plenty of handguns.

Edited to add: If I need a "mountain gun" in the future, and a big-bore is deemed necessary, I reckon my Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan, loaded with .45 Colt, will have to do.
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-12-2017 at 06:52 PM.

@Rex G - one of the reasons I traded off the 629 Mountain Gun was that I used too heavy loads in it. (Was much less experienced with revolvers back then.) If I had one today, I'd do the same thing as with my lightweight 329PD. I'd use 44 Special level loads with Keith wadcutters at around 1000 fps. I'd also have good grips on it. My 329PD wears Herrett Jordan Trooper stocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List