Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mountain Gun

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    @Rex G - one of the reasons I traded off the 629 Mountain Gun was that I used too heavy loads in it.
    Do you mean too heavy for the gun to handle or too heavy recoil-wise? What kinds of loads did you shoot?

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Mountain Gun

Full power 44 Mag loads that were too heavy in terms of muzzle flip. It was a 629 no-lock bought new. (I will now go cry in the corner at my loss.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by SamAdams; 08-14-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Forgive my ignorance, but is the .45 Colt referred to the same thing as the .45 Long Colt?

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but is the .45 Colt referred to the same thing as the .45 Long Colt?
    Yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Yes; the "Long" part is unnecessary; .45 Colt is the original cartridge designation. There are cartridges, in other bore sizes, that are Long Colt and Short Colt.

The origin of "Long" as part of .45 Colt may be because the .45 Schofield cartridge became, in effect, a ".45 short Colt," as it would chamber and fire in .45 Colt revolving pistols. One could write a Master's Thesis on this subject.

.45 LC has become accepted short-hand for .45 Colt. Colt Industries seems to have adopted this, as they become annoyed when anyone other than they use word the whole word "Colt."

User Tag List