Thread: Financial aid for the academy?

Financial aid for the academy?

The more I've hit dead-ends applying for departments, I've been contemplating going to the academy pre-service. It would open up where I could apply, and make me more attractive to agencies since they wouldn't have to pay for my academy training.

That being said, it's obviously somewhat expensive to put oneself through. I've been doing some searching in an attempt to find financial aid and have come up short thus far. Here in Georgia they no longer take PELL or HOPE for the academy, and I don't have military service for the G.I. Bill. I could possibly take out a loan, but still have bills that would need paying during training.

Would the collective here be aware of any avenues to explore in this endeavor?
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Keep trying and apply to every single PD you can which will put you through an academy. Satisfy your contract and then go somewhere you want to work.

LE is very similar across the board, especially locally.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

No way I would pay to go to an academy. Too many agencies out there hiring that will pay you while you're in their academy. Find larger agencies to apply to.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    It would open up where I could apply, and make me more attractive to agencies since they wouldn't have to pay for my academy training.
    Or you waste your money when a large agency hires you and puts you through their academy anyway.

The best thing to do would to consider why you aren't being hired. IME three things took most people out. First and foremost were low test scores. Normally we didn't get below the top 10% for candidates. Next was the physical ability test. You can work on those two with study and fitness training. Finally the background check took people out, and that could be a bad reference from an employer, financial issues, or anything else they didn't like. If an issue didn't out and out disqualify a candidate they would bring it up in the interview.

Remember that if you get to an interview, you've beaten 90% of the applicants but you're up against some or all of the of the best.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

If you are a veteran, and have served post 9-11, you can qualify for post 9-11 GI bill for the. war on terrorism veterans. They would pay BAH (varies by local) for an E5. Generally depending on where you are located, it could pay about a Grand give or take.

User Tag List