Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Storage SOP?

I always appreciate the varied input on all topics here at PF and it keeps me thinking of things I might not have thought of before. however sometimes I see issues taken to extremes that don't fit with a balanced life of risk, common threats and realistic threat assessment. In this case it seems to be headed that way. There will always be locations that are NPE with serious legal repercussions for violating them. The need to go to these places varies as well as the time or frequency of going to one. Regardless of the circumstances it is important to do a reasonable job of securing a firearm when going to a NPE where secure storage is not provided. This seems to be best handled by a secure method in a vehicle. That is the main gist of what is being discussed or queried by the OP as well as technique for doing so and associated equipment.

Some ways are more secure than others or easier to do safely and with less complications of doing so and upon returning to the vehicle reversing the process. I personally like the lockbox with cable because it also is a convenient way to use the same thing for air travel and secure it to my suitcase, storage in hotel where safe is not available,storage in any vehicle I use whether it is a rental or one of my several vehicles. This is not as strong as a dedicated lockbox mounted to the vehicle as others have suggested. I get that and accept the risk. However in my entire career in LE near a major metro high crime area I have never heard of a thief having tools capable of quickly removing a large torx bit used to attach the seat to almost all the cars I have used this method in. I also haven't heard of any carrying bolt cutters capable of cutting the size cable these boxes have. Both are not impossible and could be accomplished without crazy time,money or equipment constraints. But they are very unlikely to be a real factor. If anyone has a real example where this has occurred I am happy to change my opinion on the issue.

I use the same method as Revolver Rob and it allows me to stay in the vehicle when taking off or putting on the gun and/or I can drive away and do the same process elsewhere if there is any doubt to safely accomplishing the task without drawing undue attention. No need to go to the trunk, be out in the rain or other weather or be out of the car and more visible or approachable with back turned etc. The risk of car theft is always a problem but with modern chip/key technology and electronic counter measures it is less likely than in years past. It also still can and does happen. The risk is balanced with having a gun to and from the NPE location. Is anyone suggesting a person not carry to and from and associated errands or activities because they know or may encounter a NPE environment? I can understand if it is a known NPE regularly traveled to with extended stay in the NPE such as a workplace. Maybe not carrying is the more reasonable choice or as suggested by GardoneVT maybe making the gun non functional with slide or other field stripped part is reasonable. However keep in mind the associated risk in more complex, longer process of doing so and how that factors into time being vulnerable to attack while focused on removing gun, field stripping, placing part(s) in lock containing maybe in the trunk while outside in the rain with people in the area. Is it faster,easier and safer to jsut draw the firearm and place it in a safebox under the passenger seat?

I am not faulting anyone for pointing out risk associated with any method used to secure a firearm when going to a NPE. I just see some comments taking the risk vs benefits to levels that in my experience seem more unreasonable than not having some access to a firearm by use of a secure box attached to a vehicle. I didn't look for it but I wonder how many firearms are stolen from vehicle vs homes and if stolen from a vehicle how many were ever attempted to be secured at all or beyond a locked glovebox or console? I would wager a guess that 95%+ are not properly secured in a vehicle with probably 80% or more taken from the home vs a vehicle. Again if i'm wrong I am humble enough to retract my statement.

I can only speak from personal experience and from those I know who store guns in their vehicles for work everyday.

Hard boxes which are attached in a method which would not allow for removal other than with an angle grinder or lift are very successful at not being breached, especially when coupled with dead switches for starters. I've seen this setup on a lot of gov vehicles and a few personal vehicles, it works well.

Glove boxes might as well be unlocked because they don't stop anything. I've seen lock boxes which were bicycle wire locked to seats and they just removed the seat as it's only four or so screws. But for the well secured and well hidden boxes they have faired the best.

Of course not leaving your gun in the car is the best method of not having it stolen.

As for houses, I've seen chains hooked up to safe and rigged to trucks which they just pull out of/through the house. Only times that doesn't work is when the safe is either invisible and not easily found or bolted into concrete.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    ...I've been looking for a cable attached, lockable storage unit that will accommodate a holstered Glock but haven't found one yet with the proper dimensions. I need at least 2 inches inside height...

What kind of car?

I use this
    http://www.consolevault.com/

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    You should not leave a firearm in a vehicle. A vehicle is a movable object.
    Well, then, somebody needs to tell the post office that, then, don't they? All these "gun free zones" don't seem to
    take into account that we are making guns more available to criminals, when we are forced to leave them in a
    vehicle, do they?
    Last edited by Danoobie; 08-07-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    As for houses, I've seen chains hooked up to safe and rigged to trucks which they just pull out of/through the house. Only times that doesn't work is when the safe is either invisible and not easily found or bolted into concrete.
    Had a coworker in an apartment. His safe was bolted to the subfloor on the second floor. Bad guys took a circular saw, and cut right through the carpet/padding/plywood sub floor. Left a nice hole in the floor and took the whole safe with the carpet and sub floor still attached! Fortunately, nosey neighbor thought it odd that someone who just moved in 2 weeks ago would have furniture being removed in a U haul... so he wrote the plate down. Found the crook, found the safe, found his high end watch, did not find ANY of the guns.

We use Tuffy lock boxes in all our G rides. Box must be bolted to the frame, or secured with a 3/4" cable. Had my car broken into. In the security video, the bad guys appeared to have slim jims and screw drivers, but nothing big enough to break the box or the cable... Given enough time, and box can be defeated. You just need to find a box that will last longer that 20 seconds under attack... if the bad guys had 10 minutes, they could have breached mine. But that's a long time, and a lot of noise. Just don't make it easy for them. Remember, the common tools of auto burglary are long flat head screwdrivers, slim jims, perhaps wire cutters. Those cheap gun cable locks wont last long. A 1/2" bike cable may require a bolt cutter, which most car thieves are not carrying around...
    Last edited by Gadfly; 08-07-2017 at 02:01 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Had a coworker in an apartment. His safe was bolted to the subfloor on the second floor. Bad guys took a circular saw, and cut right through the carpet/padding/plywood sub floor. Left a nice hole in the floor and took the whole safe with the carpet and sub floor still attached! Fortunately, nosey neighbor thought it odd that someone who just moved in 2 weeks ago would have furniture being removed in a U haul... so he wrote the plate down. Found the crook, found the safe, found his high end watch, did not find ANY of the guns.

We use Tuffy lock boxes in all our G rides. Box must be bolted to the frame, or secured with a 3/4" cable. Had my car broken into. In the security video, the bad guys appeared to have slim jims and screw drivers, but nothing big enough to break the box or the cable... Given enough time, and box can be defeated. You just need to find a box that will last longer that 20 seconds under attack... if the bad guys had 10 minutes, they could have breached mine. But that's a long time, and a lot of noise. Just don't make it easy for them. Remember, the common tools of auto burglary are long flat head screwdrivers, slim jims, perhaps wire cutters. Those cheap gun cable locks wont last long. A 1/2" bike cable may require a bolt cutter, which most car thieves are not carrying around...
    Yep, that's the key of course, a box is only as good as the amount of time they have to defeat it.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    What kind of car?

I use this
    http://www.consolevault.com/
    It's a small suv on a lease. If I had a truck I would be doing something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Thanks Wendell. I've never seen this one before. I'm interested.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions and ideas. I've learned of some 'new to me' products that look to be helpful.

User Tag List