Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Storage SOP?

Vehicle Storage SOP?

I've searched for this and haven't been able to find anything on it. Probably a dumb and obvious question for many but one I've been stewing over for a few weeks.

I've been pocket carrying for years. When going into an NPE (almost daily) I'm used to disarming by removing the gun and holster all at once, that is never removing the gun from the holster but removing both at the same time as one, and then storing the holstered pistol in a lock box. Now that I'm carrying a G26/G19 as often as I can this doesn't work in the storage box I have.

My question is, what is the accepted norm for storing a loaded pistol in the car? I've been looking for a cable attached, lockable storage unit that will accommodate a holstered Glock but haven't found one yet with the proper dimensions. I need at least 2 inches inside height. Most that I've seen are 1.5 - 1.75.

An unholstered Glock will easily fit in the storage I have but I'm not keen on unholstering and holstering inside the car. Seems like an ND waiting to happen. I'm even less keen on unloading/reloading so the unloaded pistol will fit in the lock box unholstered. That's even more handling in the car and more time for someone to notice my activity.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I have been using a generic version prior to this that is smaller and I use when flying as my carry container and in rental cars or hotel for my Glock 19 and ammo but no holster. I use the cable attached to the suitcase pull handle tubes or around the seat mounts in the car.

I just ordered the XL for the same purpose as it is larger than my old one. This XXL is even larger and above the 2" thickness you need.

https://www.snapsafe.com/lock-boxes/lock-box-xxl

I have a Lock'er Down console safe in my 4Runner. Not inexpensive but it's there when I need it and it loses very little of the original space.

Quick and easy installation and reasonable peace of mind for temporary storage.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I have the large SnapSafe keyed lock box #75210 that is 10x7x2 that has four layers of foam in it. I can remove layers as needed.

It'll close on my G19 in a kydex AIWB holster but it's tight. The belt loops appear to be the issue. A pocket holster without loops would fit easier. I dont have a pocket holster for my 26 so I can't test that.

I can attach it with the cable to my drivers seat so it rests on the floorboard and cover it with a shirt etc.

They make an XX large box that is 11.5x8.5x2.5 #75220. They're available on Amazon. Large is $20.84 Xxl is $22.34 (prime)
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    My question is, what is the accepted norm for storing a loaded pistol in the car?
    Short answer: There is none.

Long answer:
    Some will tell you you should avoid going anywhere that would require you to disarm, others will say that's unrealistic.
    Some will tell you you should never leave a gun in your car, others will tell you to acquire and use the most secure system you can afford that will work with your car.

I have walked by "disarmament zone" signs, I have stashed my pistol in the center console or glove box, and I (now) have a lock box with cable. (A Snapsafe, in fact, or a clone, which I got at Cabelas, and will accommodate either a Colt Combat Commander or a Sig P320 Cary, so I expect it would work with a Glock 19, although the holster may change that.
    No in-car storage method will avoid the "My car was stolen with my gun inside" issue, of course.
    Last edited by Drang; 08-06-2017 at 03:56 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Thanks for all the responses guys. Let me try to clarify and get more specific with my question.

With the laws in my state there will be times when a person has to store their gun in their vehicle. The 3 options I'm looking at for storing in a locked storage unit:

1. Don't unholster and lock it up.
    2. Unholster and then lock it up.
    3. Unholster and unload, then lock it up.

Option 1 has been my method for years with pocket carry. For a full size gun though is option 2 reasonable, or is it considered a no go? Are there safe practices above the 4 rules to minimize the risk?

Edit: I will definitely check out the SnapSafe. That sounds like what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by Francis; 08-06-2017 at 04:31 PM.

I am in a similar situation as you describe. In order for me to legitimately lock up my G19 in my car with the safe I have, I have to unholster the gun. I leave it loaded. What I do is observe strict muzzle and trigger finger discipline when the gun is out of its holster. I actually remove the holstered gun from my belt, then remove the gun from the holster to be placed in the lock box. I stow the holster and mag pouch in the glove box. When I return to my car, I do the opposite. I retrieve my holster, place the gun in the holster with strict muzzle and trigger finger discipline, and then replace the holstered firearm on my belt. It's a bit unwieldy, but it works and I'm comfortable with the safety aspects of my process. I wish I had bought a safe large enough to accommodate the holstered gun, but it is what it is. And I have no desire to downsize my gun to fit my case. Short version, I use option #2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should not leave a firearm in a vehicle. A vehicle is a movable object.

If you absolutely have to store a firearm in a vehicle then you need to get a safe or lockbox which is directly attached to the vehicle by means which will require special tools to remove and/or a lift to remove.

The best setups I've seen include lockboxes hidden in the wheel well of vehicles and instead of spare tires.

You can go one step further and have an added method of security the trunk and require one more method of than a key to open it, like a chain or something of that nature.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I remove the gun from my holster and place it in my Gunvault lock-box that is cabled around the frame of the passenger seat. It's basically the only way I can think to do it in a reasonable way. Partly, because removing holster and all is the definition of "pain in the ass". Particularly while seated in a car. Re-attaching the holster and gun is even tougher. Reholstering while seated is much easier. This is another reason why I like LEM/TDA/DAO guns or a Glock with Gadget. Muzzle discipline is very important, but if you've got a thumb on the hammer/SCD you can monitor what's going on, even without being able to visually inspect everything.

As an FYI - the only reason I keep the lock-box in the car is for short-term storage for errands in NPEs (i.e., going into the post-office) and to hold my backup gun when driving on road-trips.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 08-06-2017 at 05:23 PM.

Two thoughts on this.

The number one way bad guys get guns is when people leave them in cars. Some of those guns end up being used against citizens and Law Enforcmeent. That should give pause to anyone seriously considering leaving a functional weapon unattended in a car.

Lockboxes? Lol. I volunteered for an auto mechanic for two summers. Anything you can bolt to a car can be un-bolted faster ,especially if you don't care about the car . This won't be a welcome comment,but frankly I'd have to wonder about the utility of going to an NPE armed to start with. Visiting a courthouse or other errand style NPE is one thing,but when your job or other long-term zone is an NPE there's nearly no point leaving a gun in your car.
    If trouble pops off at your NPE workplace( as one example) your gat's gonna be locked in a box in your car on Garage Level 3 ,500 yards away from your desk. It may as well be at home in your wall safe for all the good it does .

This isn't an academic subject for me either; when I started carrying I was Active Duty military in the Obama years,so 99% of my daily life was spent in a hard NPE. Years later I went to college which was another type of NPE; whenever I had a gun in my car I never left it in a functional state. Once I took a 10mm Tanfoglio slide ,barrel and magazine into a philosophy class. Had my car been stolen all the thugs would get is a serialized frame, and a slide isn't a gun according to the ATF.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 08-06-2017 at 06:41 PM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List