Thread: AAR: Green Ops Defensive Handgun II- 17 June 2017

AAR: Green Ops Defensive Handgun II- 17 June 2017

On Saturday, 17 June 2017 I attended Green Ops' Defensive Handgun II in Culpeper, VA.* As one may imagine, this course is a more in depth and advanced sequel to the excellent Defensive Handgun I, which I've taken and recommend without reservation. The day began with an RV at a gas station / general store, and Brett, a Green Ops instructor, gave us a convoy brief and directions to the range,**which is located in rural Culpeper, VA. *

A total of eight students were in attendance, ranging from lawfully armed civilians to active duty LEOs,*and upon arrival at the range we were greeted by Andy Lander, another Green Ops instructor. Brett and Andy introduced themselves and*proceeded to give us a range/safety brief, as well as covering some key points and concepts covered in Defensive Handgun I. However, not much time was spent on retraining, since students were expected to be able to safely and effectively draw their handguns and perform on demand reloads.

The shooting portion of the day began with timed steel drills at 10 yards, establishing a baseline of performance for each shooter, as well as instilling a sense of urgency in the shooter. Next, Brett & Andy would instruct the nuances of establishing an appropriate sight picture in relation to time/distance/speed requirements, I.E "see what you need to see" in order to make effective hits on target. Additionally, work with strong hand and weak hand only was conducted, in addition to Hackathorn Standards done at 10/15/25 yards. The majority of the day was predicated on hitting low probability targets, at speed, on demand.

I found both Brett & Andy to be exceptionally gifted instructors, who have the ability to assess each student's strengths and shortcomings. Also, and just as important, they can perform the skills / drills*that they demand of each student on demand, and without excuse or equivocation. The weather on Saturday was quite hot, despite the forecasts to the contrary, and I feel that everyone did a great job remaining task focused, disciplined and motivated. I recommend Green Ops classes 100%, and anyone in the DC/MD/NOVA area seeking relevant, quality instruction would be well advised to seek them out.

Equipment:

Glock 19 Gen 4 w/ Ameriglo Defoor sights & Glockmeister grip plug (identical spare gun in range bag)

Sellier & Bellot 9x19 124 grain FMJ, manufactured under contract by RUAG in Germany

OEM 15 & 17 round mags

Raven Concealment Systems Copia mag pouches

JM Custom Kydex The George AIWB holster

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the excellent review and AAR. I've been out of the country and just catching up. Thank you and look forward to seeing you in future classes!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
    Thanks for the excellent review and AAR. I've been out of the country and just catching up. Thank you and look forward to seeing you in future classes!
    Thanks for having me in the class!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

User Tag List