Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: New regs when flying with guns?

Site Supporter
    I just flew on American on a multi-week, multi-city trip and encountered a few new twists:

1. One gate agent asked me if I had ammo and when I said "Yes", she asked me to show her the ammo. I had it separate from the firearms in a plastic pistol case, but in manufacturer's box, so it wasn't an issue.

2. Another gate agent asked me if I had ammo and when I said "Yes", he asked me if they were reloads. They weren't, but I asked "what if they were?". He said reloads were not allowed.

In all departure cities, they added a red tag to the bag that indicated I had to pick it up at the luggage office. The only arrival city were this happened was in Indianapolis where I had to show ID to claim the bag. In the other arrival cities, the bag, with its red tag, was the on carousel with the rest of the "normal" luggage.
    Last edited by SiriusBlunder; 04-20-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Gotta love retards making up their own rules.

This is why I drive everywhere humanly possible.
    Last edited by Peally; 04-20-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I traveled from Tulsa to Honolulu on American two weeks ago. They tagged my bag with the red tag too. When I got to Honolulu, there was some confusion as to where my bag was when I got here. Ultimately picked it up a the baggage office, just showed them the bag tag slip and was good to go. I will be checking in at Honolulu airpot this evening. I will report how that goes. One other time I flew American, upon arrival in Ontario California, I had to show ID to a police officer who handed my bag over at the American Baggage Office. I travel 30 weeks a year and fly mostly Southwest. By far, they do the best job.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by troydobe View Post
    I’m not getting the concern with locks. For flying who is gonna be breaking into the suitcase to find the pelican case to have the means and time to pick or cut the lock? Is this really a concern in the airport or in the plane?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fair point - it's probably overkill. I also use them to lock my crate/trunk at home, too, so it's just an added layer of security. After my NCO showed me how to pick a master lock with a remnant piece of a soda can, I realized something better was needed. I've linked a couple of blogs about flying with firearms. Basically, it shouldn't be a TSA lock. Master lock is probably fine. TSA is supposed to contact you if they want to open the container. As Ollam describes, they often don't, and then they'll use bolt cutters. Abloys are pretty resistant to bolt cutters. So they may give up, or just break open your case. This is not my experience, I'm just giving you the cliffnotes of his VERY extensive experience.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ying-firearms/
    http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/

User Tag List