Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New regs when flying with guns?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Well, I guessed wrong, I thought attorney general

Here is what i just emailed to Delta:

Dear Delta,

I would like to share my concern about your new policy in regards to transporting firearms on your flights. I am a competitive shooter and I fly with firearms quite regularly, and almost exclusively on Delta. During my recent trip to a match (SLC to Omaha 08/03/17, Kansas City to SLC 08/05/17) my luggage with declared firearms received an additional tag, CAGPT. I was required to pick up that luggage in person after showing an ID card. I was told that this is a new policy.

I would like to direct your attention to the U.S. Code, Title 18, Part I, Chapter 44, 922 - Unlawful acts, paragraph (e). Specific quote is:

"No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm."

The intent of the U.S. code policy is to avoid any external labeling of packages and containers that contain firearms to prevent theft and grey market proliferation. All major carriers such as the USPS, FedEx, and DHL have strictly enforced such policies. I believe that your new firearms transport policy is in a de facto violation of the U.S. Code. The new CAGPT tag alerts any outside observer that a given piece of luggage might contain a firearm, selecting that luggage out of all unmarked luggage, and this is exactly the type of situation that the U.S. Code attempts to prevent. I think it would be naive to expect that the meaning of this tag would remain unknown; this subject is already being discussed on open access websites.

I hope that this subject receives your immediate attention. I plan to contact the state attorney general's office in immediate future for further investigation in this subject but I thought I would give Delta a chance to reply.

Sincerely,

YVK
    Nice. I plan to reach out to AA with a slightly modified version of this note and CC NRA.

Thanks for the advance work :-)
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Dear Delta,

I would like to share my concern about your new policy in regards to transporting firearms on your flights. I am a competitive shooter and I fly with firearms quite regularly, and almost exclusively on Delta. During my recent trip to a match (SLC to Omaha 08/03/17, Kansas City to SLC 08/05/17) my luggage with declared firearms received an additional tag, CAGPT. I was required to pick up that luggage in person after showing an ID card. I was told that this is a new policy.

I would like to direct your attention to the U.S. Code, Title 18, Part I, Chapter 44, 922 - Unlawful acts, paragraph (e). Specific quote is:

"No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm."

The intent of the U.S. code policy is to avoid any external labeling of packages and containers that contain firearms to prevent theft and grey market proliferation. All major carriers such as the USPS, FedEx, and DHL have strictly enforced such policies. I believe that your new firearms transport policy is in a de facto violation of the U.S. Code. The new CAGPT tag alerts any outside observer that a given piece of luggage might contain a firearm, selecting that luggage out of all unmarked luggage, and this is exactly the type of situation that the U.S. Code attempts to prevent. I think it would be naive to expect that the meaning of this tag would remain unknown; this subject is already being discussed on open access websites.

I hope that this subject receives your immediate attention. I plan to contact the state attorney general's office in immediate future for further investigation in this subject but I thought I would give Delta a chance to reply.

Sincerely,

YVK
    Excellent; following.

Site Supporter

Dear Delta,

Sincerely,

YVK
    A good start. I would e mail the same to TSA and get a hold of JV.

Did a search and decided to ask my questions in this thread.

I'll likely be flying from Tampa to Little Rock to attend next year's Rangemaster Conference in March.

I've never flown with a gun, but would like to take my 9mm CCW to shoot the match and some of the training segments.

Per TSA, regulations for transporting a gun are here:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition

"You may transport unloaded firearms in a locked hard-sided container as checked baggage only. Declare the firearm and/or ammunition to the airline when checking your bag at the ticket counter. The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage."

Questions?

I would like to check a typical black 22" roll aboard. Sound ok? It's nothing special.

I understand I need a 'locked container'. Do you guys recommend a key lock or combo?

Also, any particular brands or types work for firearm transport?

The regulations indicate I can also bring ammunition.

"Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
    Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
    Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm."

Is there any limit on ammo? I am guessing 5 boxes (250 rounds) would be enough.

Another question is on process and check in. Any advice on how to arrive at the airline counter, or what to say, or not say, would be appreciated.

Lastly, do you guys have better or worse luck with particular airlines? As in, these guys are fine, no problems, but THESE guys suck and should be avoided at all costs.

Thanks, I welcome any insights y'all might have.

I will fly Friday from Tulsa to Pittsburgh PA, I will post the results first chance. This will be first time I have checked a pistol.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    United has been fine for me, even at LAX. However, I think they have some additional limitations of their own, such as 11 lbs max of ammo. Read your airline's material as well as the federal legal stuff.

You might find it easiest to ship a larger quantity of ammo to your attention at the range where you're going to shoot. Of course, verify with them that they are able/willing to accommodate that. Just make sure it's properly labeled.

The airline is likely to have a particular kiosk where they process all the firearms check ins. You may do well to find a "roaming" agent in the check in area, indicate that your checked bag contains a firearm, and ask if there is a particular desk to go to for processing that. The agent at that desk should be trained in what to do and not react as if it's anything unusual. Simply be matter of fact and professional about it. I've never had them do otherwise in return.

Consider a small Pelican-style case with a robust padlock, something beefier than is normally used for a luggage lock. I think it's noted earlier in this thread, specifically do NOT use a TSA lock. They don't want every knucklehead with a TSA lock key to have access to it. Then place this inside your larger checked bag, which is also hardsided and locked. Achieves the dual goals of a robustly-locked case, while keeping the overall package looking like everyone else's luggage.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 08-30-2017 at 12:38 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I try to drive instead of fly when feasible...but am curious how many folks here place the locked container inside a larger soft sided suitcase or duffel which is locked, and whether that has presented any issues?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Consider a small Pelican-style case with a robust padlock, something beefier than is normally used for a luggage lock. I think it's noted earlier in this thread, specifically do NOT use a TSA lock. They don't want every knucklehead with a TSA lock key to have access to it. Then place this inside your larger checked bag, which is also hardsided and locked. Achieves the dual goals of a robustly-locked case, while keeping the overall package looking like everyone else's luggage.
    I do this, but my inside case has a cable that I lock to the frame of the suitcase. You'd have to destroy the suit case or have tools to steal the "inner safe". Ammo is in a separate hard sided box with the cable threaded through the handle as well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I try to drive instead of fly when feasible...but am curious how many folks here place the locked container inside a larger soft sided suitcase or duffel which is locked, and whether that has presented any issues?
    I put a key-locked steel gun case with cable attachment inside a soft-side travelpro wheel-aboard. Wrap the cable around the metal frame that houses the retractable handle. They can steal the whole case, of course, but, makes it more difficult to steal just the gun. By a little.

No problem so far... What are you worried about?

I suppose dropping a locked gun case in a traditional duffel might rattle around a bit.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    That is what I have done and it did not present issues. I put my pelican case into a dufflebag.
    @Rich_Jenkins TIA didn't present any problems to me when flying with a firearm. As someone else noted, find one of the wandering gate assistants and they'll likely take you to the express area. They didn't make me open the case or handle anything at all. The inspected my case & lock, then watched me stuff it into my dufflebag, which they then took. When I traveled it was before the new baggage tag non-sense, but my bag came out in the same area that golf clubs & fishing poles came out of and not on the regular carousel even though it was dufflebag sized.

Now, flying in/out of Orlando was a shit-show...

User Tag List