Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New regs when flying with guns?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Ah, "steal me" tags and more red tape. Back to the future. Since I can no longer fly with my weapon on my person, my solution is the following if I don't have to fly over a body of water
    Let's think about this:
    1-gun/weapon issues
    2-sitting on the tarmac with no power in aircraft for up to three hours
    3-TSA
    4-Maintenance done in exotic lands

I'm on the road with you, brother. Commercial air travel blows. I feel bad for everybody who has to put up with their crap.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

This was a Delta flight too. The irony of it was that on my way there I picked up my checked bags with the boom-booms inside just like I always have, at the carousel. The CAGPT tag was attached to the suitcase but to the side handle of it, while regular tracking tag was attached to the top handle. I am speculating that the handlers didn't look at the side handle and its tag. On my home both tags were on the same handle, the suitcase was directed to a luggage pick-up area, I had to show an ID, and then had to pick it up in a secure closed area. It was zip tied.

More question then:

- Who do we think we should write / email to point out all the nonsensical aspects / security concerns of that?
    - What do we like for luggage trackers? Based on my research, the Trackdot seems to be still the most appealing option.
    Last edited by YVK; 08-06-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    What they are doing is illegal under 18 USC 922(e):

No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.
    It doesn't matter if the tag specifically says "firearm." If, as you describe it is a unique identifier indicating the bag contains a firearm it is in violation of 922(e).

Who deals with the enforcement of the US Code? I am ready to get that tag out of my garbage can to present it as evidence to whom it may concern.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Who deals with the enforcement of the US Code? I am ready to get that tag out of my garbage can to present it as evidence to whom it may concern.
    FBI, BATFE and TSA all theoretically have some jusrisdiction over this. TSA would likely be primary though.

You can start with the TSA Office of Civil Rights and Liberties, Ombudsman and Traveler Engagement. You may also want to faint at the DHS Office of Inspector General.

A better solution would likely be NRA ILA or SAF filing suit in federal court.

Has anyone ever stuck a GoPro into a checked bag containing a firearm? I'd be interested in that footage if no one else is....
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Well, I guessed wrong, I thought attorney general

Here is what i just emailed to Delta:

Dear Delta,

I would like to share my concern about your new policy in regards to transporting firearms on your flights. I am a competitive shooter and I fly with firearms quite regularly, and almost exclusively on Delta. During my recent trip to a match (SLC to Omaha 08/03/17, Kansas City to SLC 08/05/17) my luggage with declared firearms received an additional tag, CAGPT. I was required to pick up that luggage in person after showing an ID card. I was told that this is a new policy.

I would like to direct your attention to the U.S. Code, Title 18, Part I, Chapter 44, 922 - Unlawful acts, paragraph (e). Specific quote is:

"No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm."

The intent of the U.S. code policy is to avoid any external labeling of packages and containers that contain firearms to prevent theft and grey market proliferation. All major carriers such as the USPS, FedEx, and DHL have strictly enforced such policies. I believe that your new firearms transport policy is in a de facto violation of the U.S. Code. The new CAGPT tag alerts any outside observer that a given piece of luggage might contain a firearm, selecting that luggage out of all unmarked luggage, and this is exactly the type of situation that the U.S. Code attempts to prevent. I think it would be naive to expect that the meaning of this tag would remain unknown; this subject is already being discussed on open access websites.

I hope that this subject receives your immediate attention. I plan to contact the state attorney general's office in immediate future for further investigation in this subject but I thought I would give Delta a chance to reply.

Sincerely,

YVK

Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    What are the chances that baggage employees and other inside personnel will learn about the markers, and end up stealing the suitcase/gun before it gets to the luggage office?
    Which is why it is illegal to mark a bag as containing a firearm...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Which is why it is illegal to mark a bag as containing a firearm...
    As per the above posts....just because it's "illegal" doesn't mean it's not being done.

As long as we have witless bureaucrats in charge, they'll find ways to skirt or ignore the laws that protect citizens.
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    What they are doing is illegal under 18 USC 922(e):

It doesn't matter if the tag specifically says "firearm." If, as you describe it is a unique identifier indicating the bag contains a firearm it is in violation of 922(e).
    Thanks HCM. I will be writing Delta tomorrow.

User Tag List