Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: You get to pick your duty weapon, which one ?

So how is the Sig P320 working for you and your department?

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Have carried as duty pistol:
    1) Para 1911
    2) 96D
    3) USPc .40
    4) 19
    5) 229R DAK .40
    (^ our agency could not make up its mind with mergers and such)

Since about 2004 I had a 26 for backup, since about 2011 I have had a 17 as my primary. I see no reason to change either. Boringly reliable.
    Nothing wrong with any past pistols, but I had no choice most of the time.

We are about to issue the 320. I am interested in possibly swapping over. But wanted to watch them in the field for a few months first. (And I want to see the drop test stuff worked out. The 320 solves my one complaint about the glock, which is grip angle. I can shoot a glock well, but I prefer the standard grip angle used by Sig/beretta/colt/hk etc... The whole modular grip swap is also intriguing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by awmp View Post
    So how is the Sig P320 working for you and your department?
    Wish I could say. The roll out keeps getting pushed back. Not a performance issue, a budget issue. We are now hearing March to May before we see any 320s in the field.

We have no budget right now, and are operating on CR (continuing resolution) until early December.
    Last edited by Gadfly; 11-18-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Wish I could say. The roll out keeps getting pushed back. Not a performance issue, a budget issue. We are now hearing March to May before we see any 320s in the field.

We have no budget right now, and are operating on CR (continuing resolution) until early December.
    My understanding is they are conducting or just completed first article testing.

With an agency our size fielding new weapons is a multi year process.

If they follow prior fielding patterns, the first ones will go to new trainees at the academy. My impression always was this acted as an informal field / validation test, since trainees are shooting every other work day under the supervision of multiple full time instructors and firing between 1500 and 2500 rounds. Plus if the production guns start having unexpected issues, better we find out in a training environment than the street.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My understanding is they are conducting or just completed first article testing.

With an agency our size fielding new weapons is a multi year process.

If they follow prior fielding patterns, the first ones will go to new trainees at the academy. My impression always was this acted as an informal field / validation test, since trainees are shooting every other work day under the supervision of multiple full time instructors and firing between 1500 and 2500 rounds. Plus if the production guns start having unexpected issues, better we find out in a training environment than the street.
    Do you think your agency will continue to allow a personally owned weapons policy?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Do you think your agency will continue to allow a personally owned weapons policy?
    Yes. I thought they might drop the .40 Cals and j frames and restrict POW's to 9mm but we were told they are staying as well, at least for the forseeable future.

I'd probably keep my G21SF that I'm issued. Something about the larger grip size.. I shoot it much better than my 9mm varieties. That or I'd go to a G41.

Black Friday scored me a Safariland 6390RDS for a G19/X300U/RMR. I currently carry a bone stock Glock 17 on duty. I bought the RDS for the 19 with the intention of going to the G19 for duty use. I have two RMR'd G19s and the 17 is agency owned. I'm trying to decide what negatives I have by going to the 19 over the 17.

Pro's:
    Two exact copies
    Both RMR'd compared to night sight 17
    Mine not the agencies

Con's:
    Slightly shorter grip
    2 less rounds on the initial magazine (would still use 17 mags as reloads) and if I went with a OEM Mag +2 it would be right back where I was (Non-OEM Mag extensions are a no-go but a rmr is fine, riddle me that)

I want to go the RMR route for duty but buying and milling another 17 or two for myself just isn't in my budget right now.

When I started my career, I would have unequivocally answered either a 1911-type or a Browning HP. Now, 21+ years later, the thought of putting a steel pistol on a gunbelt that already has more crap than I want to carry on it is not something I want to do. My dept. currently issues the Sig P229R DAK in .40 cal and I don't really want to put that in my holster, although I've never had any problems with it's reliability, accuracy or magazine capacity. Being in my mid-50s now has me thinking that one of the plastic wonders might be the ticket, if I go back into uniform and hit the streets again. If it was my pick, I would probably give equal consideration to the Sig P320, the H&K VP series, the Walther PPQ series or the FN 509. From my experience, they are all capable of handling the job of protecting my hide.

If you guys don't mind just a question please.
    I'm not LEO but got to shoot at a range few times the 4 different NYC issued DAO only guns with the NY-1 trigger (12 LB) G-17, G-19.P-226 and the S&W 5946,
    also manage to hit my target
    Which one would you guys pick

Simong.

After my experience with the Gen5 Glocks and the stellar performance of the M models during FBI testing, I would definitely choose a Glock 17M for uniformed patrol duty and a Glock 19M for plain clothes assignments. Simple to maintain at the agency and individual levels, accurate, reliable, easy to shoot and available with great sights as a factory option. The hypothetical agency where I get to choose duty weapons mandates installation of the Gadget.

User Tag List