Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: You get to pick your duty weapon, which one ?

Glock 17 Gen 4 with the medium back strap without the beavertail with a set of Talon grips.

Ammo would be Federal 147 gr. HST.

My agency issues the G17 gen4 but the Talons are a no go here. We also use the Golden Saber bonded 147 grain which is impossible to find.

Probably a Glock 34 gen 4. I carry an M9 now and in the process of changing over to Beretta 90-series and PX4 for off duty personal carry so a Wilson Brig Tac has a lot of appeal.

Already been said here, but a P30 LEM in 9mm, or a Sig Legion 226 in 9mm.

CWM11B
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Are there modern light bearing holsters for a 92G-SD?
    The Safariland 7TS works with mine.

Site Supporter
    Glock 17 or 22 for strictly uniform duty, Glock 19 or 23 for a do it all gun. Currently issued a Gen4 G23 with 180 grain Ranger T. Enjoy shooting it except for BTF about every one hundred rounds. Got dinged in the middle of the forehead Sunday at the range.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 08-08-2017 at 08:09 AM.

We have no choice in the matter. Been issued an M&P9 since they were first invented in 2006(?).

If I had the ability to choose, and I decided to go away from an M&P9, I would go with a Glock 17 Gen4 or a Glock 17M. I could live with either one.

I have no desire to leave the 9mm cartridge.

One one good thing about not having a choice in the matter and being forced to carry the issued pistol is that it prevents me from getting the desire to switch out my carry gun every 6 months or so.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 08-08-2017 at 09:35 AM.

Have carried as duty pistol:
    1) Para 1911
    2) 96D
    3) USPc .40
    4) 19
    5) 229R DAK .40
    (^ our agency could not make up its mind with mergers and such)

Since about 2004 I had a 26 for backup, since about 2011 I have had a 17 as my primary. I see no reason to change either. Boringly reliable.
    Nothing wrong with any past pistols, but I had no choice most of the time.

We are about to issue the 320. I am interested in possibly swapping over. But wanted to watch them in the field for a few months first. (And I want to see the drop test stuff worked out. The 320 solves my one complaint about the glock, which is grip angle. I can shoot a glock well, but I prefer the standard grip angle used by Sig/beretta/colt/hk etc... The whole modular grip swap is also intriguing to me.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    lwt16, check this link for the Golden Saber that you like and do a search for Golden Saber. sgammo.com

I do get to choose - we have a very liberal personal weapons policy that allows anything with a nominal 3" or longer barrel holding 5 rounds or more, in .38, 9mm, .40, or .45 ACP, from any of the following manufacturers: Beretta, Browning, Colt, CZ, FN, GLOCK, H&K, Kahr, Kimber, Paraordnance (yikes), Ruger, STI, Sig, S&W, Springfield, Taurus (DOUBLE YIKES!), or Walther. We're issued a Sig P229R DAK or P239 DAK in .40 S&W (agent's choice on issued pistol).

I carry a Gen4 G19. Why? Familiarity, first and foremost - I've shot more rounds through G19s than probably all other pistols I've shot combined - including other GLOCKs. I have tons of magazines, holsters, etc. I can use the EXACT holster I like the best with no issues, and get the EXACT NS set up I like the most. I shoot it well enough to have no worries about accuracy, and I can "run" the G19 better at speed than pretty much anything else I've tried. My G19 is reliable now, no BTF, etc. The GLOCKs are relatively dirt cheap for Blue Label guns - if I break one or one ends up in evidence, it's not a huge financial burden to replace. All but the pocket GLOCKs feed off the same magazine - so I can use G17 mags with factory +2s as reloads for any GLOCK 9mm I would likely carry on duty, from the G34 down to my ankle-carried G26 BUG. I carry the G19 as a primary because it gives me the best combination of shootability, capacity, and size for my body and the way I dress at work.

I've owned, shot, and passed up on darn near every other competitor, and nothing provides the "whole package" that my G19 does. The VP9 is more mechanically accurate and has a much "nicer" trigger, but it's significantly larger (harder to conceal) with no gain in capacity. The M&Ps in 9mm are neither fish nor fowl - the FS had accuracy issues and was too large for me to comfortably conceal, the Compact is easier to conceal than the G19, but gives up capacity and shootability - and the triggers suck (IMHO). The P320, well, it doesn't do anything my G19 does - except "feel" better in my hand, while being larger without any capacity increase. My various 1911s are all AWESOMESAUCE - but heavy, limited in capacity, expensive, a little more maintenance intensive, and TOO easy to shoot - to the point where I'm not completely comfortable carrying them on duty. The P07 is actually faster for me when "running" the pistol (duh - Single Action trigger for the win!), but larger, heavier, and SEVERELY limited in sight options. It's a contender, though, from a pure performance standpoint. I'm going to wait a year or two for the CZ P10C growing pains to diminish, then may give one a run. Same-same on the "M" series GLOCKs - when I need a new G19 because my "shooter" is worn out, I hope the Ms will have had all the bugs worked out... The only pistol I haven't given a real shot at the title is the Px4C - mainly because I can't afford a CC, and the few "standard" Px4Cs I've shot were nothing to write home about. If one of y'all rich gun hipsters has an extra CC lying around you want to part with at a "good dude" price - let me know!

Beretta M9a3 or g17

User Tag List