Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: You get to pick your duty weapon, which one ?

While I enjoy my 1911s, I've found that:

-They're heavy (and yes I only use steel-framed, 5" ones);

-Potentially too finicky (potential for loosening up plunger tube is a primary concern; I had it happen once and it totally tied up the gun)

-As Dagga Boy has succinctly pointed out, not the best for threat management

-Very lubrication intensive

-Require an individualized, time- and ammunition-intensive protocol to de-bug and vet

-Decent ones have a higher buy-in price compared to comparable polymer-framed guns (i.e., HK)

-They're oriented strongly towards .45 ACP; I prefer 9mm or .40, and feel that 1911s in calibers outside of .45 ACP are a bit of a work in progress (both gun- and magazine-wise)

-Not as weather/media impervious as polymer framed pistols

Consequently, nowadays they're pretty much off my radar as a duty gun, although I have 2 vetted ones that could fit the bill-my Gen 2 SIG GSR XO and Colt 70 Series stainless Repro

Best, Jon

Banned
    In Colorado Springs an armed security guard can only carry a gun that meets the following criteria: Revolvers have to have a 4 inch minimum barrel, can only be .38 special or .357 Magnum and can't be SAO. Semiautomatics have to have a 4 inch minimum barrel, can only be 9mm or .40 S&W and can't be SAO.

The first company I worked for allowed guards to choose any semiautomatic that met the criteria. I was amazed by how many guards carried Highpoints.

The second issued M&P .40s the third issues Glock 23s, either of which would be fine.

If I got to pick I'd carry my M&P9

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    The first company I worked for allowed guards to choose any semiautomatic that met the criteria. I was amazed by how many guards carried Highpoints.
    Eeek. At least they're carrying something that is functionally reliable, according to @TCinVA's torture test a few years ago.

Any Jimenez Arms?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Any Jimenez Arms?
    I don't think so. I don't think any gun store in Colorado Springs even carries Jimenez, although I do see them at gun shows occasionally.

I think the next highest choice after the high points was Springfield XDs. One guy carried a 5906 and one guy carried whatever the civilian version of an M9 is.

I think maybe one person carried a Glock and the training manager carried a company-issued Charter Arms .38. I'm pretty sure the program manager carried a Glock 22.

I see a lot of people working for Raven Security ( local no name company) that carry Bersas. Usually in cheap, crappy nylon holsters or Serpas.

G4S issued Safariland 6280s for a year then decided that they were crappy holsters and went to drop leg Serpas
    Last edited by Cypher; 04-25-2019 at 05:48 PM.

We do get to pick our own guns. In a little over a week I’ll be switching to my Beretta 92A1 with a TLR1 HL.
    My next gun purchase will be another 92 variant for off duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

G4S issued Safariland 6280s for a year then decided that they were crappy holsters and went to drop leg Serpas
    Yikes. I would take a Safariland any day of the week and twice on Sunday over a crappy serpa.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    Yikes. I would take a Safariland any day of the week and twice on Sunday over a crappy serpa.
    I think they switched because the Serpas looked more "tactical" and because a lot of the G4S guards were fat and I think they had a problem with their duty belt and their body armor.

G4S is a weird company to begin with. When I worked for IHSS the rules were very simple, if they caught you at work carrying a gun and you weren't an armed guard you were fired on the spot. No questions asked and no appeals.

At G4S I worked as an armed guard but they occasionally put me on special details that were not armed but told me that if I wanted to bring my gun I could.

Right before I quit working for them they put me in an unarmed roving position and then told me that even though the position was unarmed if I wanted to slip a little gun in my pocket that was okay by them.

I realize I'm going to sound like a hypocrite when I say this because I'm sitting at work on an unarmed site and there is in fact a Glock 26 in my pocket. That said, I knew better than to carry gun like that for G4S because if I ever had to use it they would disavow that they ever told me that it was okay.

The difference is that where I'm at now I know I'm carrying a gun against company policy and I completely understand that if I get caught it will be terminated on the spot. G4S wanted me to carry as their agent but they didn't want to pay me for it and they didn't want to be accountable for it if something went wrong.
    Last edited by Cypher; 04-26-2019 at 12:54 AM.

You get to pick your duty weapon, which one ?

If I had it to do all over again, I'd stick with the pistol that I carried throughout the majority of my LE career; the Sig Sauer P226 (9mm)

If forced to choose another in its place, I'd choose a Glock 17 (either a Gen II or III would suffice).
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Wow.

It's amazing to me that anyone would still carry revolvers as their duty weapon. When you wrote that almost everyone switched to the VP9, does that count the 3 wheelgun shooters you mentioned here with the 686 and two Model 25s?
    No sir, They stuck with them. Two of them are nearing retirement and the other is retired from another agency and is used to them and very accurate with it.

I got to choose my duty weapon, so I carry a Gen 4 G34 with a Surefire X300 ultra. It sits in a Safariland ALS holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List