Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: You get to pick your duty weapon, which one ?

Quote Originally Posted by awmp View Post
    You get to pick your duty weapon, which one and why?
    I don't get to pick. We get a Glock 22 (Gen4) as a primary, and Glock 27 as a backup.

If I were picking I'd likely go with a Glock 19 Gen 4. It's small enough to conceal well, but big enough to control well, and unlike the baby Glocks I can still mount a good light. 90% of what I do is plainclothes, but when I need to get into "tactical gear" a 19 would work just fine. I'd want a Glock 26 as a backup.

I do get somewhat of a choice, but I would pick what I'm currently issued, Glock 19M. I do more plainclothes work than uniformed though.

For uniformed or SWAT role, I would go 17M or gen4 17.

We are issued Glock 35 gen 4, however I carry a HK USP 9MM with jet funnel. Glock has exactly 60 rounds fired through it, that is when it was issued to me and I qualified with it. Shot 120/120 with it. Shot a much better 120 with my HKS.

Have a good one
    Ray

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Glock 17 post 09/01/17 version.

I always loved my Sig Sauer P229 .357. Fired thousands of rounds and it never jammed once. Easy maintenance and was 12+1 in mag capacity, so that was a little better than some other models.

But Glock 17 or 19 are good options too. Carried a Glock 19 as a back-up because it was a little smaller than the Sig (and used cheaper ammo).

I may be moving to another department around the first of the year.

I have to provide my own weapon. As long as its 9mm or bigger I'm good.

I have carried a 1911 off duty for many years and for the first time ever I may make the 1911 my duty weapon.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by awmp View Post
    I may be moving to another department around the first of the year.

I have to provide my own weapon. As long as its 9mm or bigger I'm good.

I have carried a 1911 off duty for many years and for the first time ever I may make the 1911 my duty weapon.

Thoughts?
    My thoughts are as follows:

1. NOTHING shoots better than a nice 1911
    2. As a uniformed guy who will likely point your weapon at a lot more things than you end up shooting, the ease of shooting the 1911 would scare the pants off me
    3. The 1911 is heavy, capacity challenged, and a maintenance hog

I don't usually point out the FBI as a model, but their firearms thinking has driven LE for several decades, with good reason. They're no longer using 1911s even for specialty units - having gone to G17s across the board for them. Because, frankly, a Gen5 G17 (or 17M) is darn near as easy to shoot well as a 1911, has more than twice the capacity, is stupidly easy to maintain, is lighter, etc. etc. etc.

If you don't like Glocks, that's fine, but there are plenty of other modern polymer striker and hammer fired 9mms that make infinitely more sense for LE duty use than the 1911.

There, now burn me in effigy and take my man card!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Each to their own, and at one time I really wanted to carry a 1911 as a duty weapon. Now, it's way down my list. Glock and TDA Sigs remain my first and second choice.

I'd be really hard pressed to choose a 1911 as a primary sidearm. There's the simple fact that they're not a terribly maintanence friendly gun, as has been mentioned. Just look at Todd's use of the 1911..........sure, he was able to keep them reliably running, and part of that is because he had a world-class gunsmith on speed dial, all the support anyone could ask for, and he replaced magazines at a prodigious rate.

In addition, I'm not a great shooter, but I'd say I'm a competent shooter. I'd say that I, as well as most competent shooters, can easily pump out 5-8 rounds in a single string of fire before our brain processes the bad guy may no longer be a threat (or that we need to stop shooting for any other reason). There's been more than a few videos of OISs that show this 5-8 round string, including a cop who was shot on a vehicle approach, emptied his 1911 with a very nicely sized grouping into the vehicle's B-pillar, at which point he was empty when the perp got out of the car and decided to run instead of finish off the officer who was at his mercy.

Given that, I can't for the life of me imagine why I'd pick a primary duty gun that has a good chance of being empty on a single string of fire. Objectively, there are much better choices for a full size service pistol. If you just have to have a 45, the HK45, USP, M&P, P320, P227, or Glock 21 all seem like reasonable choices.

At the very least both for your sake and the sake of the other officers you're backing up I think it's prudent that you carry a minimum of 3 mags.

YMMV.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-10-2017 at 10:54 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

deleted.
    Last edited by JTQ; 11-10-2017 at 11:04 AM.

User Tag List