Thread: Interesting article on the Dinkheller murder and training

Interesting article on the Dinkheller murder and training

Pretty surprised to see this from CNN. Very lengthy read, looks to be one of a three part effort. Interestingly, the article confirms one issue oft rumored that a previous incident and chewing out may well have impacted this one.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2017/...-police-video/

Interestingly, the article confirms one issue oft rumored that a previous incident and chewing out may well have impacted this one.
    Definitely.

The article is also Polluted with Grossman:

Here is a strange fact about the muskets left behind on the battlefield at Gettysburg: Most were still loaded. Nearly half were double-loaded, even though the gun was designed for one shot per load, and many other barrels were jammed with five, 10 or even 20 loads. In his book "On Killing," Lt. Col. Dave Grossman surmises why: “The obvious conclusion is that most soldiers were not trying to kill the enemy.” To keep up appearances, the reluctant soldier tore open a cartridge, poured in the powder, rammed home the bullet and pretended to fire.

Or maybe muskets are complicated weapons and some soldiers of the time were completely unfamiliar with them from their civilian life and had inadequate training. If you forget to put powder in the flash pan or to put a precussion cap on the place where you put the precussion cap, the gun won't fire. And with people firing at you and people firing around you, you may not realize that your gun did not fire or why and may repeat the steps again.

and why skilled riflemen in other battles fired more than 100 bullets for each enemy they struck. It is also why most police officers try to avoid pulling the trigger.
    Hitting an enemy in battle is not as easy as hitting a target on the range when no one is shooting at you. Plus, factor in supressive fire and such. There are other reasons that police officers avoid pulling the trigger or hesitate to do so. Just ask the officer who shot Michael Brown. I am not saying that an officer has to or should be trigger happy.

I am not trying to judge the officer, but from seeing that video it is obvious that he waited too long to fire.

What a tragic and needless waste of that young man's life.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Just a couple of observations not necessarily related to this tragic event.

Any number of things can cause an officer to be reluctant, indecisive, weak, hesitant, ___________ (you choose the adjective). It’s worth noting that this type of behavior is rather commonplace, but it occurs on a continuum that in most cases doesn’t cost anyone their life.

Regrettably, there are a lot of people in the profession that just shouldn’t be there but the powers that be not only tolerate it, they’re instrumental in creating the problem by their hiring practices and politically correct policies and procedures.

I’ve often commented that modern law enforcement work is a bit like taming a lion. As difficult as that task is (in and of itself) they expect you to do it while they’re continually making the chair heavier, shortening the length of the whip and discouraging you from using your pistol.

It’s not an environment where the faint-hearted or weak minded do well.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

You bring up some good points, 41magfan. It's (almost?) as if they want you to be stuck within the OODA loop.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Thanks for posting the link. Very interesting, indeed, that CNN is publishing this.

I read all three parts, and it seems to be fairly accurate and well balanced. I'm as surprised as anyone, but every now and then CNN publishes something good, you're just not likely to find it on the first page.
    The second part deals with Ferguson, it's aftermath, and the effect on policing there and across the country. Third part is about Buffalo NY, exploring how the PD there went several years without a fatal OIS. I'd be very interested in more feedback from our LEO members on the accuracy of all three articles.
    Thanks for posting, I'll be looking for the next part.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    The article is also Polluted with Grossman.
    While no more of a fan of Grossman (I think he went way too far afield with some of his claims), there are others in the police training community (Siddle being one) who have now been equally discredited. Fortunately, there are competent people like John Hearne who are helping us understand this.

I found it interesting that the author covered Jim Glennon and Calibre Press in pretty much a positive way. It definiately was not the hatchet job of a few years ago that was regularly done on Glennon, Lewinsky, and others regarding officer survival and use of force training. That includes helping our community better understand how events play out the way they do.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 08-06-2017 at 12:59 PM.

This situation had nothing to do with Grossman theory. It has everything to do with a shitty top brass whose words made an impact on a young deputy which ultimately played a direct role in his death.

This was unacceptable when it happened, the results were tragic and as much that should be the point of contention, not Grossman.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List