Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Blindsided by S&W 43C

I ran another 66 rounds through my 43c today. I'm not really tracking ammo like some folks do but I'm around the 500 round mark now. It just seems to get better to shoot every time I take it out.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Damn you all.

We stopped at a local store to kill time on the way home from the jewelry story for my wife, I walked out with a 43C. I never would have bought it if it wasn’t for this thread. I haven’t shot it yet but I like the big dot and U. This brings my 22lr revolver collection to 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    Damn you all.

We stopped at a local store to kill time on the way home from the jewelry story for my wife, I walked out with a 43C. I never would have bought it if it wasn’t for this thread. I haven’t shot it yet but I like the big dot and U. This brings my 22lr revolver collection to 4.
    Our work here is done.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

You’re welcome.

Damn you all.

Something about these revolvers that is magic. Now, you have the fun process of figuring out what ammo it shoots to POA/POI. Congrats on your new 43c!
    Perfect Kids gun to teach fundamentals of DAO Trigger control, if they are strong enough to pull the DAO Trigger. Wolff springs are great if you don't go overboard, i.e. 38/.357 weights are too light for the .22 primers. One thing for sure: it won't be too expensive to test out to confirm reliability with the ammo it likes anyway. The APEX J Frame spring kit is too light with the J Frame .22- excellent with CF J Frame though; however, I still like Wolff Springs in my J Frames probably because I have just always used Wolff.
    You can smooth out the trigger quite a bit with just the yellow (#9?) dry wall anchors as snap caps. You have to change them out a lot because the FP will eat them up pretty quick, but they are cheap & fun to shoot bad guys on the TV with (Elvis Presley style), only he used live ammo, haha. I know a lot of experienced Folks here know all this stuff, but some newer Folks maybe don't.
    Last edited by johnnywitt; 03-24-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnywitt View Post
    Something about these revolvers that is magic. Now, you have the fun process of figuring out what ammo it shoots to POA/POI. Congrats on your new 43c!
    Perfect Kids gun to teach fundamentals of DAO Trigger control, if they are strong enough to pull the DAO Trigger. Wolff springs are great if you don't go overboard, i.e. 38/.357 weights are too light for the .22 primers. One thing for sure: it won't be too expensive to test out to confirm reliability with the ammo it likes anyway. The APEX J Frame spring kit is too light with the J Frame .22- excellent with CF J Frame though; however, I still like Wolff Springs in my J Frames probably because I have just always used Wolff.
    You can smooth out the trigger quite a bit with just the yellow (#9?) dry wall anchors as snap caps. You have to change them out a lot because the FP will eat them up pretty quick, but they are cheap & fun to shoot bad guys on the TV with (Elvis Presley style), only he used live ammo, haha. I know a lot of experienced Folks here know all this stuff, but some newer Folks maybe don't.

Claude Werner has done quite a bit of testing with his 43c and 317 using the stock springs from centerfire J frames. His results would lead me to believe that the belief that CF main springs don’t provide positive ignition with quality ammo is erroneous.

My 43c has an Apexspring in it and performs reliably as well.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Damn you all.

Did you get that one in the sale display at wilshire?

I've almost bought it several times.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Claude Werner has done quite a bit of testing with his 43c and 317 using the stock springs from centerfire J frames. His results would lead me to believe that the belief that CF main springs don’t provide positive ignition with quality ammo is erroneous.

My 43c has an Apexspring in it and performs reliably as well.
    Well, Wolff Spring Co. doesn't agree. That's why they sell a J Frame Spring Kit for .22RF & a different one for CF. My 2 J Frame .22 317's have a 10.5 & a 9.5 DA Pull respectively.
    Both have the 9lb. Hammer Spring the Wolff RF Kit comes with and a selection of a 13, 14 & 15lb. Rebound/Trigger Spring. I did my guns in 1999 so I can't remember which Trigger Spring that I used. The CF Kit comes with a 8lb Hammer Spring.
    Rimfire Cartridges by definition have an obsolete ignition system, which was changed for serious use in the 19th century to CF in the Colt SAA. So, when you are dealing with a less than ideal ignition system, maybe its a good idea to stay on the more conservative side of the ignition equation- even in Competition it sucks to have a failure.
    Last edited by johnnywitt; 03-24-2018 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Did you get that one in the sale display at wilshire?

I've almost bought it several times.
    I wish you would have bought it and saved me $500. I think they may have another of you decide you need one...

I’ll probably be ordering Wolff RF springs for it.

I wish you would have bought it and saved me $500. I think they may have another of you decide you need one...

I’ll probably be ordering Wolff RF springs for it.
    If you are a LEO/1st Responder Bud's has them right now I think. Both the 43c & the 351???- the Mag version. They tend to have halfway decent prices on S&W Rev.'s for LEO's/FR Folks.
    Last edited by johnnywitt; 03-24-2018 at 11:26 PM.

User Tag List