Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Blindsided by S&W 43C

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    When I shot DocGlock’s LCR 22 last Saturday, I recall just holding the sights level and getting POA/POI. Shot my nearly new 43C for the first time in a while today, and had to elevate the front sight to get POA/POI. This sound right?

Front sight goes up about half the circle in notch. The sights suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Front sight goes up about half the circle in notch. The sights suck.
    I agree, the 43c sight is terrible.

Site Supporter
    Found some punch.
    Name:  20211211_163323.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  65.9 KB
    --Jason--

Hammertime
    So I am near 3000 rounds through the 43C. And while it is a fun DAO trainer, and also somewhat fun to shoot it is really held back by the sights.

I just put a Hi Vis Fiber optic in it and honesty it isn’t any better than the stock sight. $45 down the drain. Both sights hit low unless you use a crazy stupid sight picture with like half the front sight elevated above the rear notch.

There are folks who can put real sights on a J frame but it is a $275 proposition.

https://www.dlsports.com/dl_jframe_sw_sights.html

At this point I think I am going to retire it and use it simply for dry fire because I find it so frustrating in general to shoot. Especially as the pace increases.

I am open to sight suggestions.

So I am near 3000 rounds through the 43C. And while it is a fun DAO trainer, and also somewhat fun to shoot it is really held back by the sights.

I just put a Hi Vis Fiber optic in it and honesty it isn’t any better than the stock sight. $45 down the drain. Both sights hit low unless you use a crazy stupid sight picture with like half the front sight elevated above the rear notch.

There are folks who can put real sights on a J frame but it is a $275 proposition.

https://www.dlsports.com/dl_jframe_sw_sights.html

At this point I think I am going to retire it and use it simply for dry fire because I find it so frustrating in general to shoot. Especially as the pace increases.

I think you should spring for the D&L sights -- what the heck if you have the most expensive 43C in the world.

The Punch ammo doesn't hit properly in windage on multiple of my revolvers (Smith and Ruger).
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've shot about 75 rounds of Punch in the last few days. No windage problems in my LCR, Beretta 87, or FN 502. It does print a little low in the 502 but even that wasn't too bad. Exceptionally "flashy" for a .22 in all of them. In this limited test it functioned the B 87 just fine but the 502 bobbled a bit. That might have been my thumbs retarding the slide or I suspect the round lacks the oomph needed for some self loaders. The FN is brand new also.
    My apologies to weasels.

Here's what I wrote in June from this thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....p-W-43C-vs-317

The first picture is the 43c with a HIVIZ front sight that is .125" wide and .140" tall. It gives a pretty good sight picture with plenty of light on each side of the sight when down completely in the notch. I shot groups at distance from 5 yards to 25 yards and it hits low. I did the Dawson calculator and it needs a sight .110" tall. Dawson has a .110" tall by .100" wide fiber optic and I will probably get one. https://dawsonprecision.com/s-w-pinn...-front-sights/ Cylinder and Slide has a .112" tall with unknown width. https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/CS0430F

Also later: I installed a Dawson .110" tall by .100" wide on my 43c and it shoots POA/POI with CCI Mini Mags and Velocitors out to 25 yards. Minor differences at closer distances, but very usable. I like the deep, wide rear notch on the 43c.

Today. I found the narrow Dawson sight hard to see even though it seemed to hit POA/POI. I then installed an XS standard dot and while I like the big sight, it hits low unless I float the whole dot above the rear notch.

How I resolved the problem: I removed the 43c from my pocket and replaced it with my Ruger LCR 9mm.

Edit
    Last edited by JCN; 01-01-2022 at 11:30 AM.

Edit
    Last edited by JCN; 01-01-2022 at 11:28 AM.

EDIT:
    Not familiar with those guns, I realize now that a 43c has a pinned replaceable front sight.

The super easy button would be to buy a blade front and cut/grind it down.

The Dawson custom FO looks awesome too.
    Last edited by JCN; 01-01-2022 at 11:30 AM.

User Tag List