Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Blindsided by S&W 43C

Quote Originally Posted by johnnywitt View Post
    Well, Wolff Spring Co. doesn't agree. That's why they sell a J Frame Spring Kit for .22RF & a different one for CF. My 2 J Frame .22 317's have a 10.5 & a 9.5 DA Pull respectively.
    Both have the 9lb. Hammer Spring the Wolff RF Kit comes with and a selection of a 13, 14 & 15lb. Rebound/Trigger Spring. I did my guns in 1999 so I can't remember which Trigger Spring that I used. The CF Kit comes with a 8lb Hammer Spring.
    Rimfire Cartridges by definition have an obsolete ignition system, which was changed for serious use in the 19th century to CF in the Colt SAA. So, when you are dealing with a less than ideal ignition system, maybe its a good idea to stay on the more conservative side of the ignition equation- even in Competition it sucks to have a failure.
    I'm passing along information based on results and testing. Do with it what you will.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Claude Werner has done quite a bit of testing with his 43c and 317 using the stock springs from centerfire J frames. His results would lead me to believe that the belief that CF main springs don’t provide positive ignition with quality ammo is erroneous.

My 43c has an Apexspring in it and performs reliably as well.
    Link to Claude’s experiences with CF springs in the RF? My experiences with same are back on page 4 or 5, I think.
    Last edited by jandbj; 03-25-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Link to Claude’s experiences with CF springs in the RF? My experiences with same are back on page 4 or 5, I think.
    Claude hasn't published them in a blog post that I'm aware of. They are mentioned on his Tactical Professor page on Facebook as well as on his 1000 Rounds Of Live Fire page.
    Last edited by Wheeler; 03-25-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    Julius Caesar

Yeah I would like to know Claude’s exact setup if you can recall? Recently got a lighter hammer spring for my 351c and pd. The reduced hammmer spring worked great on my 351PD, had failed primer hits with my 351C. My next goal is polish the internals and try one of the lighter rebound springs.

I am really curious about penetration vs velocity compared betweeen the .22 and .22 WMR, can’t find a head to head online, but isolated vids on 43c by itself or 351 by itself.

Wish S&W would offer these with 9 round cylinders like their old Taurus counterparts.

I put what I believe was a Wolff 8.5lb mainspring in my 43C. It worked pretty well but not 100%. Upped that to a 9lb Wolff and it works fine now.

The other experiment was to swap whatever spring I had in my 317 (I think it was an Apex Duty) with a nearly new 642-2. That worked fine too.

I don't do penetration tests but Marshal Chuck Haggard does. He said Stingers from his .22 LCR pass the FBI protocol for Jello with Jeans (JwJ).
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

The data I quantify 'fine' as is as follows. I've fired over 1,000 rounds of various types of ammunition as part of my purse project through the 43C. The failure to fire rate has been less than 1%. That's better than most PARs I observe on the range. Two round failed to fire on the second strike and just wouldn't go off at all.

I haven't shot the 317 as extensively but I have perhaps 300 rounds through it with similar results.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Yeah I would like to know Claude’s exact setup if you can recall? Recently got a lighter hammer spring for my 351c and pd. The reduced hammmer spring worked great on my 351PD, had failed primer hits with my 351C. My next goal is polish the internals and try one of the lighter rebound springs.

I am really curious about penetration vs velocity compared betweeen the .22 and .22 WMR, can’t find a head to head online, but isolated vids on 43c by itself or 351 by itself.

Wish S&W would offer these with 9 round cylinders like their old Taurus counterparts.
    I have a 3” 317 and a 43c. You have a 351PD and 351c. We are in fairly close proximity. Maybe we could make something happen in those regards?
    Julius Caesar

Headhunter, you have played alot with these things. Do you think anything is gained or lost with using a 43 over a 351 from the caliber standpoint. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I have a 3” 317 and a 43c. You have a 351PD and 351c. We are in fairly close proximity. Maybe we could make something happen in those regards?
    Wheeler, hey, I've been shooting .22s for long time now (50 yrs, I'm 54). I know enough to know that every gun is an entity unto itself, so I'm not disputing your findings. Sometimes if I like a particular make & model, I will buy more than one. .22's are very strange in that two identical guns will prefer totally different ammo & the triggers will behave differently, even with the exact same springs & polish treatment: hence my 2 317's with one being able to go down to a 9.5lb pull & the other will only go to 10.5 & still maintain reliability. Same with ammo preferences, one gun will shoot well with one ammo and the other gun will maybe shoot "patterns" with that same exact ammo.

On my 342Ti .38 (which is what I actually mostly carry, when not toting a G19) I was able to get my DA Pull down to 8 3/4lb using the Wolff CF Spring Kit which comes with a 8lb Hammer Spring on their CF Kit. The Rebound/Trigger spring array is the same as the RF Kit. Amazing what a 1lb difference can make in reliability on your Hammer Springs.

I know the APEX Kits & parts are ABSOLUTELY TOP NOTCH! Over on BENOS Forums there are Guys using APEX Parts and getting like 3.5LB DAO pulls on their APEX modded 617 K Frames. They have to be careful as just like super light Comp Triggers on any Firearm, they are limited to certain ammo that will ignite.

On another note, in the extensive testing that "Shooting the Bull" called "Ammo Quest .22LR: North American Arms NAA mini-revolver extensive ammo mega test review Part I" & then he did Part II on YouTube, it showed the best results out of his NAA .22LR Mini Revolver with a 1 1/8" barrel to be with CCI Mini Mag 36gr HP being the best & CCI Velocitors best out of a 3.5" barrel. He showed the Velocitors also did very well out of a 16" Henry rifle barrel & so did Aquila SSS Super Snipers 60gr. Btw, these SSS 60gr rounds really need at least a 1/9 twist to stabilize them (they work fantastic out of a AR CMMG Conversion Kit- very good accuracy!) I also like them out of my my Ray Brandes "Bully Barrel" because they hit hard and stabilize out of the 1/9 twist he puts in his barrels. I get dime size groups with them at 20yrd with an optic and a rest. They do, however, have the trajectory of a football punt past 25yrd out of a pistol (kinda like .300blk subs past 200yrds) They won't stabilize out of any of my Handguns, or rifles that have a std. 1 1/16 twist.
    The "Shooting the Bull" Guy has some interesting Videos as well on data for the .22 Mag out of short barrels with various ammo/bullet types.
    Last edited by johnnywitt; 03-25-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Headhunter, you have played alot with these things. Do you think anything is gained or lost with using a 43 over a 351 from the caliber standpoint. Thanks!
    Between 2 friends, they've had 6 22WMR revolvers between them. Three of them were 351s. All of them were problem children in one way or another and all ended up getting sold. That was enough data for me to lose interest in .22 Magnum revolvers. It was designed as a rifle round and I think that's its best role.

User Tag List