Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Fiber Optic verse Tritium sights

@Gio, what's your take on 3 dot vs. 1 dot tritium sights? Is there a noticeable time difference in using one setup vs. another? Is there a noticeable accuracy difference?

I ask because I've been running a FO front on my G19 for about a month and a half now. Prior to that, I had been running Defoors. While I'm able to shoot sufficiently with all black sights, I'm finding that if I don't have something on my front sight and/or I'm not in sufficient light for Black or FO on the front sight to work effectively, I'm slow at picking the front sight up and pressing shots. If I have at least a white circle on my front sight, I can just about reliably pick up that front sight in almost any lighting. So I'm starting to think about moving back to at least a tritium front. Wondering if I won't just be better off doing 3 dots instead of just 1.

Site Supporter
    I will say that my limited experience in shoot houses (even open top ones on sunny days), the use of a good light still made target identification faster/easier in many cases. There are not many cases indoors where it is so bright a light can't help. So, my preference is pretty much use a light in any situation where night sights would be necessary. Mostly for target identification, but helps with sights too.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    @Gio, what's your take on 3 dot vs. 1 dot tritium sights? Is there a noticeable time difference in using one setup vs. another? Is there a noticeable accuracy difference?

I ask because I've been running a FO front on my G19 for about a month and a half now. Prior to that, I had been running Defoors. While I'm able to shoot sufficiently with all black sights, I'm finding that if I don't have something on my front sight and/or I'm not in sufficient light for Black or FO on the front sight to work effectively, I'm slow at picking the front sight up and pressing shots. If I have at least a white circle on my front sight, I can just about reliably pick up that front sight in almost any lighting. So I'm starting to think about moving back to at least a tritium front. Wondering if I won't just be better off doing 3 dots instead of just 1.
    I'm a big believer in 3 dot tritium because only having tritium in the front sight limits your ability to make lower percentage shots in a variety of low light conditions without a flashlight. There are plenty of options available these days for rear sights with tritium that are really low profile and don't draw your eyes to them in daylight lighting, making the only down side to this setup being cost in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I'm a big believer in 3 dot tritium because only having tritium in the front sight limits your ability to make lower percentage shots in a variety of low light conditions without a flashlight. There are plenty of options available these days for rear sights with tritium that are really low profile and don't draw your eyes to them in daylight lighting, making the only down side to this setup being cost in my opinion.
    Do you find front sight width or front sight to rear notch ratio (the size of the light bars) to matter more for overall shooting precision?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Do you find front sight width or front sight to rear notch ratio (the size of the light bars) to matter more for overall shooting precision?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    I think the ratio is more important than the width, although nothing is more frustrating then not being able to see your target bc your front sight appears wider than it. The .125/.159 i use now is the best I've seen in a tritium sight. In a perfect world I would prefer a narrower rear notch though, probably around .140".

I am of two minds on the issue.

For the everyday guy/gal, I really don't think it matters much. Certainly doesn't matter as much as simply having a flashlight does. I accept there are edge cases where the trit is superior, but that has to be weighed against the benefits of a thinner or fiber sight in the other instances, and this is very individually dependent.

I definitely see the argument in favor of 3-dot trit sights for anyone that has actual offensive use of a pistol in their job/occupational description.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If someone suddenly attacks a ccw holder, will they have time to get their gun and light out to shoot? I imagine in a run of the mill mugging most wouldn't be complaining about having night sights to line up given a sudden and violent attack...?
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 08-21-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    If someone suddenly attacks a ccw holder, will they have time to get their gun and light out to shoot? I imagine in a run of the mill mugging most wouldn't be complaining about having night sights to line up given a sudden and violent attack...?
    That's covers just about most of Tom Givens' stats for his students and tritium never seems to make a difference in his records. Primarily because, in order to be mugged, you have to be seen by the mugger and there's thus generally enough ambient light to see your sights with or without tritium. I can't speak to all situations, nor hypotheticals, but Tom's stats are indicative of a broad trend.

P.S. getting out the light would mean that you have not yet identified the mugger that you may need to shoot. If a mugger is violently attacking you (general 'you'), you probably won't need a light to ID him or see him, however, you may need a light to hit him with.
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 08-21-2017 at 03:32 PM.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    That's covers just about most of Tom Givens' stats for his students and tritium never seems to make a difference in his records. Primarily because, in order to be mugged, you have to be seen by the mugger and there's thus generally enough ambient light to see your sights with or without tritium. I can't speak to all situations, nor hypotheticals, but Tom's stats are indicative of a broad trend.

P.S. getting out the light would mean that you have not yet identified the mugger that you may need to shoot. If a mugger is violently attacking you (general 'you'), you probably won't need a light to ID him or see him, however, you may need a light to hit him with.
    Does he explain how it doesn't make a difference? I would be curious how you can determine that.

I didn't but as best I understand it, the information came from interviews with his students on top of police reports.

I don't know what Tom has now on his G35, but back when he carried a 1911, I remember his sights being plain black.

Just so we're clear, I'm not trying to convince to drop tritium from your guns, I'm on the fence myself, having always had trits on my Glocks or 1911s. I'm just pointing out that things aren't quite clear cut. :-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List