Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to buy a Timer. Suggestions?

Thread is well timed. I've had my PACT for, well, longer than I can remember....

Name:  timer 1.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  43.3 KB

I've probably dropped it 100 times, but apparently 101 was too much...

Name:  timer 2.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  55.5 KB

It still works, after a fashion, but I should probably replace it, especially since finding replacement vacuum tubes is so hard these days...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Yep, that's old.

I've been using one of these https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/96...waAl6pEALw_wcB for several years.

It took some fiddling to get the sensitivity set to the right level, but it's worked fine since then. I haven't dropped it enough to break it (yet), so no input on that.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I have the CED 7000. I have read on the internet that it is fragile and its rechargeable battery doesn't last.
    But mine is doing fine. I use it for practice and offer it as a spare if the match timer fails.
    It is the only timer I know with a memory so you can shoot a drill several times and review your times for consistency or improvement.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I think the future of shot timers lies in the combination of smart phones, smart watches (or wrist mounted activity monitors) that provide realtime gyro/accelerometer data, and apps that can process and analyze all the available (auditory, visual, and motion) data.
    Has anyone tried one of the Garmin smart watches with the shot timer app for them?

ETA: Maybe MantisX should look into integrating their shot analysis tool with a shot timer..
    Last edited by Drang; 08-04-2017 at 06:08 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I've used and owned three of these things.

CED 7000: I've got one on loan from work, but the one I owned stopped working due to what I believe to be rechargable battery issues. Things I like about it is the smaller size and lanyard. Things I don't like about it are the button layout and sometimes unresponsive buttons. I'm not sure what happened to mine, but I only use this for dry fire as I'm afraid any other elements outside will kill it.

Pocket Pro II: I liked this shot timer as my favorite, but it also shit the bed in a move. I removed the battery and packed it, and when it arrived it was completely DOA, even with fresh batteries. I preferred this button layout, and even though there weren't as many buttons as the CED 7000 it was fairly intuitive. It felt like a fairly robust piece of equipment too, I had no issue using it on outdoor ranges.

PACT Club Timer III: I was gifted one of these and it works great, but for some reason feels like the "dumbest" of the timers, even though I'm fairly sure it has most features the Pocket Pro II does. Nothing to really write, other than I like the form factor and the buttons. Seems fairly sturdy as well. I've used this in outdoor and indoor ranges, but I think outdoor makes most sense.
    Last edited by heyscooter; 08-05-2017 at 04:48 AM. Reason: derp

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I'm still running the PACT Club shot timer I bought in 2005ish. The buzz is starting to sound extra "tinny", and it gets a little unstable when shooting outside in the cold (it gets into single digits at times here, and the buttons seem to get "sticky" at those temps), but other than that, I have NO complaints. Well, one complaint, I hate having to stock 9v batteries for it...

The pocket pro would be my second choice, but it's boxy and doesn't feel good in the hand (not an issue if you're hanging it on the belt and timing yourself). I also find the buzz to be harder to hear than the PACT.

Have a CED, never use it, don't like it. In fact, if you're willing to figure out how it works (don't know where the instructions went), I'll send it to you - just PM your address...
    Greatly appreciate the offer, but I used a Bronwells coupon and placed an order for a Pocket Pro 2 yesterday.

Site Supporter
    Just a note on the Pocket Pro II: While in my range bag, my bullfrog bug repellent / sunscreen leaked onto my PPII, killing the electronics and partially melting the plastic housing.

Competition electronics was able to fix it for $27- including return shipping. Fyi if you have an issue with a PPII and they can't fix it, the will sell you a replacement at half price, about $65.

Good to know they will stand behind the product.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Just a note on the Pocket Pro II: While in my range bag, my bullfrog bug repellent / sunscreen leaked onto my PPII, killing the electronics and partially melting the plastic housing.

Competition electronics was able to fix it for $27- including return shipping. Fyi if you have an issue with a PPII and they can't fix it, the will sell you a replacement at half price, about $65.
    To add to this public service announcement:

One time my 99% DEET repellant leaked out, ate through a ziplock bag and then destroyed a 1100$ piece of work issued comms gear.

Don't store liquids of any kind near work issued comms gear.

*the more you know*

User Tag List