Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can I speed up without a timer?

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    For the purpose of this thread I'm not necessarily talking about split's although split's are important. More-so shortening the time between going from concealment to 1, 2 or 3 shots on target.

I have put off buying a timer and I don't know why. It makes sense that if you can't measure it, you cant manage it. In my frame of reference can I speed up without one?

With or without a timer How/Where should I start.

Other Info FWIW

AIWB
    G-19 w/RMR
    Right Handed
    Cover garment 95% of the time is a t-shirt

SCD
    No

I remembered today that my son has a GoPro. With its somewhat wide angle lens I may be able to video myself in the cramped lanes at the range.

Follow-up Post. Please remember I am not and experienced shooter.

Used the Pact II timer at the range yesterday for the first time. I have never been on a timer before so the times apply to me and should not be applied against any other shooters times because I am slow! But, that's what a timer is for I guess, to see where you are and track progress.

Target was a paper saucer about 6-1/2 inches in diameter at 7 yards. I know, I'm cheap but they hold up well.

I started slow with no timer to get my motion down. Then I set the PAR for 3 seconds. Pretty slow I know but I was able to get one shot on target at about 2.5 or 6. Moved the PAR down to 2.5 and cut it a little more. At the end of the trip I was able to get under 2 seconds consistently, with my best time at 1.86. As you can see I still have work to do and this timer challenges me in a way I was not getting.

I also shot video of myself and can see I need to work on two things in particular. 1 Clearing the cover garment. 2 Getting the correct purchase on the grip.

Thanks to everyone who urged me to get the timer. It's a good investment.

There's nothing wrong with those times, especially from concealment. You're a lot faster than you think, and now that you've quantified your speed, you can begin to improve it. Now the trick is not letting accuracy slip because you've become a slave to the timer. Wayne Dobbs and DB have made some great posts on that.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 08-17-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Good post. It sounds like you have a good plan to get your times down. Congrats.

I'd keep doing what you are doing until the times start to level off. There are a lot of different things that the folks on PF could advise you on for the future practice.

I years ago stole...err researched an idea of ToddG's. I'll probably say this wrong but, he talked about having a, "fastest time", having a, "on demand time" and I added for me a, "flubbed it time". Todd talked about the on demand time where everything is in the target. No misses, being so important to shooting under pressure. It's that time that is probably more indicative to what you will do during a shooting or competition than the record/fastest time. I currently mix that idea with some interleaved/chaos training (avoiding block training by never doing any one thing twice in a row) to not get super fast but to get that, "flubbed it time" down. I figure when my mistakes are at a record pace(my screw ups are getting faster) I will be, "better" during the robbery, etc for on demand.

I wouldn't over think it up front. Just have fun and concentrate on the times coming down. That's very motivating all by itself. But just keep in mind the folks on PF(some of which are champion shooters) can give you a bunch of ideas to use the timer to help with whatever you're working to improve.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

User Tag List