Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W 315 NightGuard

Well, they open back up at 9EST, and I suspect my resolve will hold for about 4 hours from the time I start thinking about it over coffee, so by all means, have at; that's why I posted it instead of buying it on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    As the OP of the thread, can I get dibs? I'm on that like a fat kid on cake, like white on rice, like a politician on campaign donations, etc.
    Of course, you should get dibs.

But we do need a pic of the new shooting iron with the holster you pick for it, of course.

If it's still there after lunch I'm calling. I'll give you dibs though. But I think you should sell it here on PF if you decide you don't like it.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Had a meeting I couldn't get out of. By the time it was over and I could call, the 315 was already gone.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I hope Lon got it, because I sure didn't.

Nope. Not me.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

DAMMIT.

You mean some wretched pretender slithered past us all, and grabbed it??

I am appalled.

I wouldn't be too upset. The lock was plugged, but as 972 pointed out previously, the wrong "fix" on this can lock up the gun. It also appeared to at minimum had hammer/trigger work. Since this entailed popping the side plate and getting into the action, and potentially "improving" a lot of things, it might not have been that great of a deal. Bubba can do a lot of damage in a short space of time. But then it might have been magnificent work by a well known smith. You just never know.
    Last edited by Willard; 08-14-2017 at 09:16 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The $1335 one on GB also showed evidence of being stoned on the ratchet, but the seller never answered my question about it. Didn't need to, apparently.

A "professional" can also do a lot of damage in a short space of time.

I've seen a video on YT where the well-known YT gun show channeler takes his 638 to a well-known gun retailer and the smith goes over it. There are at least four pieces of the action that he fails to address in any meaningful way, and he fails to properly clean the swarf off the parts or out of the action before reassembling everything. He just wipes it down, no solvent wash. AAAANNNDD... he blows right through the anodizing on the frame, allowing the moving gubbinses (that's Top Gear talk, there) to slide around on bare aluminum. Apparently no concern for how long the trigger job (or the firearm itself) is supposed to last. I've seen a lot of re-anodizing attempts. It's very expensive, the best result is never indistinguishable from the original, and there will always be some dimensional change... if they don't scrap the part.

Dang. Here I am back at, "Never put money on a revolver (new or used) without inspecting it in person first."
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    It was me. I waited until 9:15 until I called. I was surprised it was still available. It has a little wear on the edges from carry. The Hillary hole has been plugged. The hammer bobbed. The trigger and hammer polished bright. The action is DAO. In short; everything I would have done for carry. The action is disappointing. Not bad but not good considering the work that was put in already. Makes me question the skill of who ever did it. Maybe a previous owner thought the action was good enough. I am reserving judgement until I shoot it.

User Tag List