Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W 315 NightGuard

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

S&W 315 NightGuard

I have seen that S&W made a run of the 315 NightGuard (or 315NG) back in 2008 or 2009. Very short run. Kind of a modern Model 12. Barrel length 2.5 inches. Scandium frame, blackened stainless cylinder, big dot front and Cylinder and Slide rear sights. ~24 oz. all up. Chambered for .38 SPL +P and no blast shield on the underside of the top strap.

Seems like the cat's meow for a carry six gun, if you could find one.

Typical S&W approach - don't make enough, put them into normal distribution channels where nobody can find them, don't advertise them. They take forever to sell, so you never do it again. Oh, and try to sell a carry revolver right when everybody is buying ARs like crazy because we've just elected an anti-gun POTUS.

Anyone here have one? How much do you love it? What holsters work? Anyone hear of problems with them?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I handled one of these but was put off by its larger size. From memory I think it was a 7 or 8 short revolver with a fat girth. Also, 24 oz is heavy for a .38 alloy or scandium frame revolver. These revolvers were about as popular as ants at a picnic.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I handled one of these but was put off by its larger size. From memory I think it was a 7 or 8 short revolver with a fat girth. Also, 24 oz is heavy for a .38 alloy or scandium frame revolver. These revolvers were about as popular as ants at a picnic.
    The 315 is a 6-shot K-frame, and the Nightguards were actually pretty desirable.

I had a 386 NG for several years. Great gun.

Site Supporter
    Then I'm thinking about another model.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    They did a whole NightGuard program across the line.

http://www.gunblast.com/SW-Nightguards.htm

6-shot was the 315, K-frame
    7-shot was the 386, L-frame
    8-shot was the 327, N-frame

L- and N-frames are significantly larger. The 315NG weighs about the same as those two because of the steel, not Ti, cylinder, which also eliminates a long-term durability worry when actually shooting a limited-production S&W. Quick googling says they've never made a Ti K-frame cylinder, although I didn't exactly go down the rabbit hole on that.

The 315NG was listed at 23.8 oz vs. 33.5 oz for the current 2.75-in all-steel Model 66 Combat Magnum.

A 640 Pro J-frame is listed at 22.4 oz, so a 315NG is basically the same weight as the most shootable J-frame, but with a big step up in shootability and an extra round. Just not as pocket-friendly.
    Not another dime.

I didn't know they did a 315, now I want one bad. But I bought a blaser the other day so I'm officially out of gun money for a while. I'll have to put a pin in it for this time next year.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Typical S&W approach - don't make enough, put them into normal distribution channels where nobody can find them, don't advertise them. They take forever to sell, so you never do it again. Oh, and try to sell a carry revolver right when everybody is buying ARs like crazy because we've just elected an anti-gun POTUS.
    Continuing to mull this over, to be fair, 2008-2009 was one of the worst times in the last 35 years to be trying to sell high-content, high-cost, non-essential goods. Just sayin', maybe they could try again now that the economy is back to working.
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Of all the night guards the 315 is the one I want the most

Site Supporter
    If Smith does the 315 again, I would be very interested. Might even forgive the presence of the lock.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    If Smith does the 315 again, I would be very interested. Might even forgive the presence of the lock.
    Indeed, that cursed lock is like a boil on the face of a cute lass.

And if they do remake it, please include a full length ejector rod.

User Tag List