Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone here only own one pistol and don't want more?

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    In my opinion it depends where you find enjoyment as an enthusiast.

I personally get the most enjoyment from pushing the edge with performance and competing at a high level. As such, new gear and guns just don't interest me like they did at one point. Instead, I'm trying to shave time off of various drills while maintaining or improving accuracy and minimizing mistakes. Most of my hobby money ends up going into bullet components and match fees, so I think my gun safe would look pretty bare bones compared to most posters here .
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Ditto for what Gio just said. New guns are usually an expensive time consuming pain in the ass.

But--total hypocrite here--I did have fun with my new bear defense cannon (SBH .44).
    For the half the year when I am competing every weekend, I am only interested in the gun I am competing with. Other guns are a distraction.

For the other half the year, when I am not competing, I love shooting different guns. I find it particularly fun to get something new to me, like the P10-C or VP9SK, and see how well I can shoot them with a few days focus. Next up is the APX, and I can't wait. In a month or so, as competition time nears, I move back towards singular focus.

Neither approach seems right or wrong, it is whatever floats your boat.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have simplified. I have 3 G19s and 1 G43.

Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    I have simplified. I have 3 G19s and 1 G43.
    any regrets?

Quote Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
    I am tinkering with the idea of liquidating my pistol collection and focusing solely on one "do-it-all gun". More than likely my keeper would be my G17 with 19 length grip except that it is a gen 2 model and has no accessory rail so I'd need a handheld light for HD. Or I could just try and sell everything and just get a Gen 3/4 G19 and remove the finger grooves and undercut appropriately. Or I could keep my P320C and just get a full size slide for it should I ever feel the need. Anyone here go back to one gun or only ever stay at one gun?
    I'm down to the Gen4 G19 as my EDC with a G43 for NPE. I keep a Colt 1911 because 'Murica plus a Model 29-2 and a couple of others that I got from my father, but I rarely shoot any of them. All carry, competition, and training happens with a G19. In the future could see buying an occasional no-lock S&W revolver as a nod to my youth, but that's about it. Most new stuff doesn't do much for me, and I can rent most of it for about what I'd spend on sales tax if I were to buy it new. I'd rather spend my money on classes, ammo, or hunting trips.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I went down to only 9mm and AR's. I think the VP9 series works really well for me. Still will keep a G19 and G43 on hand bc they are such popular models of pistol. Have a Shild and PPQ that I'll probably offload to fund a second VP9SK.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I have the ability to go buy another gun
    You say that now. I've had to take self defense guns from people as evidence and hear "that's my only gun, what do I do now?" You can probably buy another gun. But you'll be with zero guns until then. You'll also be with an untried and unproven gun when you first buy it and until you can vet it at a time in your life that you're most on alert.

You shoot Mope at 5pm. At 7pm you're on the news. At 10pm you're getting death threats. That's a reality you could face if you shoot someone.

I worked a case where a guy called a handyman he'd previously had dealings with to get a quote on a playhouse for his child. What he didn't know is the handyman was now a meth addict and out of business, but agreed to meet for the purposes of robbing the guy. The handyman (robber) showed up with two others and tried to rob the complainant. The complainant shot and seriously injured one of the "others" and then the robbers scattered. Obviously they knew where the complainant lived. His gun was now evidence. His first question? "That's my only gun, what do I do if he shows up at my house?"

Even if none of that applies, psychologically it's very satisfying to have a new gun to put in your holster right away. Our range staff comes to the scene and rearms officers involved in a shooting for that very reason. It absolutely sucks to feel disarmed after a lethal force encounter.

Site Supporter
    I think about it, and have gotten the bug to do it due to finances. I like the stuff I have, though, and it's taken me a long time to accumulate it, so I don't think I'm going to jump that way any time soon. If I do reduce, I will be consolidating, but not eliminating all but one or even two.

The idea that you don't need to own a spare because you have the ability to purchase a replacement at need isn't clear thinking to me: there are no gun shops open at 1:30 am on Sunday morning after you get released from the police department, who have kept your pistol logged into their evidence room, which you may or may not ever see again. Having a second, similar or identical weapon at home seems to me a prudent, not terribly expensive hedge. Breakage happens, too, especially if you train and/or compete. Having a spare in your range bag can save a class or match or even just a range trip. The only match I ever DNFd was when I had no spare in my bag and had an ammo malfunction that tied up my gun until I got back to my bench. I've had to use my spare exactly once, but I always take one to a match or class.

Different size guns carry better in different circumstances, as well, so ... I won't be going to only one or two. Three is my minimum, I think, so long as I am going to be an active shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    You say that now. I've had to take self defense guns from people as evidence and hear "that's my only gun, what do I do now?" You can probably buy another gun. But you'll be with zero guns until then. You'll also be with an untried and unproven gun when you first buy it and until you can vet it at a time in your life that you're most on alert. His first question? "That's my only gun, what do I do if he shows up at my house?"
    I have an AR, an AK, a VZ58, and a Mossberg 500 too

Site Supporter
    I have an AR, an AK, a VZ58, and a Mossberg 500 too
    None of which are vetted, reliable, or concealable carry guns.
    Last edited by Duelist; 08-03-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    "That's my only gun, what do I do if he shows up at my house?"
    hence ^^^

User Tag List