Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone here only own one pistol and don't want more?

anyone here only own one pistol and don't want more?

I am tinkering with the idea of liquidating my pistol collection and focusing solely on one "do-it-all gun". More than likely my keeper would be my G17 with 19 length grip except that it is a gen 2 model and has no accessory rail so I'd need a handheld light for HD. Or I could just try and sell everything and just get a Gen 3/4 G19 and remove the finger grooves and undercut appropriately. Or I could keep my P320C and just get a full size slide for it should I ever feel the need. Anyone here go back to one gun or only ever stay at one gun?

Stick to the Glock.

But not just one.

One to carry.
    One to train with.
    One in case one of the above breaks.

If you really want to be barebones that's the right way to do it.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Vending Machine Operator
    I wish I had the discipline. Truly. It would save me a lot of money. And P-F has given me the discipline to only carry/use the Glock seriously and to train with the Glock 80% of the time.

But sometimes I really wanna have a fun range day with a 92FS. Or a PX4. Or a 226. And it's nice to have those on hand.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I could get by with just a Glock 26 and would probably be fine. I really don't have much of a collection as it is. Three 9mm Glocks (17, 19, 26), a couple revolvers, shotgun, AR. Finis.

I like to keep things simple.
    Last edited by blues; 08-03-2017 at 01:38 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I understand your reasoning, especially if your sole purpose is self defense, but I use handguns for so much more than just self defense carry to protect agains attacks from other humans.

I shoot long range like here (shooting out to 450-500 yards across a dry reservoir with my 44 mag):

You can sort of see the targets lined up in this pic:

And here is a new target board at 780 yards from my cabin's porch:

Long range shooting on the remote Pahsimeroi range of Elmer Keith fame:

For me, shooting handguns is an all year relaxing, all encompassing pastime.

I also very much enjoy getting exercise after big game season by handgun hunting small game with my .44s and sometimes .38s:

Cures cabin fever, you usually have the place to yourself, and normally before or during a cold snap or bad storm the hunting can be spectacular.

Combat Masterpiece and Wadcutters

J Frame 442

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Do you mean one physical gun or one model of gun?

For roughly 5 years, I had one physical handgun to my name. It was my carry, competition, practice gun, a 5" 1911. Honestly, this isn't ideal as if it breaks, gets a time out in an evidence locker, etc. you now have zero guns. I would not recommend it.

However one model makes sense to me. Having three identical set up (insert whatever gun here) makes a ton of sense. One to carry, one to practice/compete with, and one in the safe for when one of the first two poops the bed. In full disclosure, it makes sense but I don't quite do it. I carry a P226 almost all the time, but do make exceptions on vacations out of state or when dressed for exercise. Even then I stay "in the family" with a P229 or P245, though.

Site Supporter
    I recently reduced the handguns I own to:

Colt Lightweight Commander 9mm - carry gun
    Colt Lightweight Commander 9mm - home defense gun, plus backup for carry gun
    Colt Combat Commander 9mm - dedicated practice/range gun
    Colt XSE Government model .45ACP - in case I ever need to switch back to .45ACP for any reason
    Colt Mark IV Series 70 Limited Edition .45ACP - just because I like it

I traded away my Government model 9mm pistols because I came to the conclusion that the Commander size is just a better match for the 9mm cartridge. So I pretty much have standardized on that. The .45s are not critical to me and I have them only for the reasons stated.

I've pretty much settled down to Beretta 92's, (FS, FS Compact, and D Centurion) and a Shield for NPE carry.
    I thought about swapping the Shield for a Springer XD-E, but my BinL's XD-S repeatedly went down hard during a match earlier this week. I'll probably give it about a year for all the beta testing to get finished before I buy one.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Eh, it really depends on how extensive your collection is. Personally I have a few other pistols than my Glocks, but the VAST majority of my practice and shooting time is done on my Glocks. My other pistols fill their other respective roles well enough. I'm not done buying Glocks nor am I done buying "not Glocks", but I definitely don't, nor would I have, 30+ pistols before having my "3 for carry/defense". Get those first and get good. After that, spend your money on whatever you want.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

User Tag List