Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Origin of Three Dot Contrast Sights

Origin of Three Dot Contrast Sights

Does anyone know the history behind the three dot contrast sights? Were they first developed based on tritium night sights and
    then gun manufacturers put painted dots on their pistols to mimic the sight picture? The earliest that I recall
    were on S&W semi-autos. They may predate night sights.

Was there a military or LE study that showed three dots to be superior to Von Stavenhagen (bar/dot)
    or Glock's sights?

I found this article regarding Von Stavenhagen sights.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF VON STAVENHAGEN SIGHTS
    By Ferrari Steve on JANUARY 2, 2016

https://www.realgunreviews.com/brief...nhagen-sights/

Good post....I'd like to hear from more knowledgeable folks on this question, and hope they'll chime in!
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

If I'm recollecting accurately, it was S&W that mostly lead the way (in the context of mass production) with the white 3-Dot sight system in the late 80's with the introduction of the Gen 3 pistol line. Those "dots" later morphed into "Night Sights" as a premium option.

Along that same line, S&W pretty much set the tone for what people expected in revolver sights when the started offering the "Red Ramp" and "White Outline" on their adjustable sighted wheel-guns.

ETA: The Beretta 92 (M9) incorporated "Dot Sights" in some configuration about this time but I don't recall if it pre-dated S&W's offerings or not.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 08-03-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Need to double check my super early one, but I believe HK P7...1976.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

That is an interesting question. I believe gold bead front sights on revolvers have been a thing for decades? I could be wrong, maybe Daga Boy would know more.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Need to double check my super early one, but I believe HK P7...1976.
    Yep .....

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-review-hk-p7/
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I remember some of the early 3 white dot sights didn't line up right. If you shot with the 3 dots lined up, the front sight would be up out of the notch. I remember looking at Colts in gun shops. Sometime in the late 1980's I had my Nastoff comp gun back in for a barrel replacement and I had Steve put 3 white dots on the sights with the stipulation that the dots and the sights had to hit to the same point.

I don't remember if the gen 2 S&W autos had dots or not.

I think some of the Walther PPK line had the round front dot with a square white dot on the rear below the notch.

Who ever invented the fiber optic front sight has my never ending gratitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I
    I don't remember if the gen 2 S&W autos had dots or not.
    My 469 does not. Fixed ramp front with a funky vertical groove in it (perfect for filling with orange/red paint).

1976 is pretty early on in the game, that HK may be the winner.

So, a quick googling around yielded some interesting, if inconclusive reading. Trijicon's site states that the first trit sights were in 1985. I also found this article on "bar dot" or Von Stavenhagen sights:

https://www.realgunreviews.com/brief...nhagen-sights/

The article notes that the patent was filed in 1962, with 50 percent assigned to Fritz Walther, the oldest son of Carl. First gun with VS/Bar-dot was evidently the compact version of the P38. The article notes that other manufacturers moved on to 3-dot sights, so the inference is Germany, sometime between the late 60s and now. HK makes sense, in that context. Narrows things down some, but still open for debate.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 08-03-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I remember some of the early 3 white dot sights didn't line up right. If you shot with the 3 dots lined up, the front sight would be up out of the notch.
    Unfortunately, that's STILL the case with some brands of Night Sights. I've seen some SERIOUSLY jacked up tritium vial placement - including on some sights produced within this half of this decade. Caveat emptor

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    That is an interesting question. I believe gold bead front sights on revolvers have been a thing for decades?
    Ed McGivern talks about them in his book "Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting" back in 1938.

For my own use, after much study and experiment, I designed and had made for all of my guns what is now known as the McGivern gold bead front sight. This sight has a large, round, projecting gold bead which is set into the face of, and is arranged to fit even with the top and sides of, a one-tenth inch Patridge square top post sight....This type of sight is now made by D. W. King Sight Company to fit all revolvers...Smith & Wesson...is now standard equipment on several of their revolvers...
    (pg 81)

User Tag List