Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Miami Vice Reboot Coming to NBC

Miami Vice Reboot Coming to NBC

Hollywood Reporter: 'Miami Vice' Reboot From Vin Diesel in the Works at NBC

NBC is looking to reboot one of its most successful procedurals. The network is teaming with Vin Diesel to develop a Miami Vice revival.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I think there is great potential in a Miami Vice reboot. Today's serialized programming could make for a very different and deeper show than the episodic 80s program. Hell, I bet you could fill 10 episodes just by mining the original pilot for ideas. Cars, music, guns...what's not to like?

On the other hand, I am deeply skeptical about a Miami Vice without Michael Mann at the helm, or at least associated with the production. Mann was the driving vision behind Miami Vice and it undeniably bears his stamp (see The Films of Michael Mann thread). Much of what I enjoyed about the original - the music, the cars, and the firearms - were Mann's influence. His use of firearms experts like Jim Zubiena was ground breaking in the 1980s, and the show influenced a generation of gun enthusiasts. Miami Vice was undeniably about style, but there was substance there too. Vin Diesel doesn't strike me as the guy to carry this torch. I'm also skeptical of NBC's ability to revive this series; I'd think the material would be better suited for HBO or Netflix.

Oh well. I'm sure I'll tune in and give it a shot. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by JSGlock34; 08-02-2017 at 08:56 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I hate the constant rehashing.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

They're gonna ruin my favorite childhood show. I'm gonna go Hulu some old episodes and dry fire my new to me USP 45.

Site Supporter
    I was a Light Fighter at FT Ord when this series was on - my wife had standing orders to record this on the VCR while I was in the field. That was a long time ago!

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I was a Light Fighter at FT Ord when this series was on - my wife had standing orders to record this on the VCR while I was in the field. That was a long time ago!
    Ahhhhh, the good ole days. When wives were easier to program than VCR's.

Some shows/movies should not be remade.
    Miami Vice might be one of them.

A reboot of MV just wouldn't work now. Its a different time, a different era, south Florida doesn't have the reputation that it once had. The 80's was a special time in guns, fashion, music, drug trafficking...you just can't replicate that in 2017. The MV movie wasn't that great even with Michal Mann directing it.

Miami Vice 2.0 already exists. It's set in LA,and titled "Bosch".
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I didn't read the article. Please tell me that Vin Diesel is not going to play Crockett???
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Miami Vice/Vin Diesel: an obvious recipe for cinematic diarrhea.

The original was so indicative of its era, I doubt it could be recaptured in anything but name only.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List